Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
Montana_3380
Established Member

M.O.C. #3380
crack in fiberglass corner under the slide

Our beloved Monty (3255RL w/2 slides) has developed a crack in the skin right at the corner where the little bedroom slide opening is. The crack is all the way from the corner to the edge and has opened up about 1/16". We put silicone sealer on it and that seems to be keeping moisture out but it collects dirt and looks ugly. There is a small crack in the skin under the fifth wheel overhang too and the covering there seems to be loose. Any ideas?
This doesn't seem to be causing any problems, it just doesn't look very good.
Our oven burner has taken to blowing out and relighting every little bit. This seems to be occasional and lasts for a few minutes, then stops. It isn't a problem with an empty propane tank. The problem doesn't appear to happen with the furnace or the hot water heater. Again, any ideas?
We've been full time since April and we've put about 15,000 miles on the truck with maybe half that on Monty.
We're having the time of our lives! The Montana was the best decision we made.
Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year!
Jim and Jin

Montana_3380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Welcome JimandJin,
Welcome to the MOC. We hope you enjoy it. Sorry to hear about the crack and other problems. If you haven't already done a "search" on these topics you might want to do so. There has been extensive discussion on the "crack" issue. Somewhat less discussion on the propane issue.

Good luck and again welcome.

RVWheels/Admin MOC
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Britney 10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1704
JimandJin, Check out this thread it is just one of meny on this subject. http://montanaadministrator.forumco....rms~+crack.asp
Britney 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Welcome to the MOC. You'll find lots of help here. A lot of us have experienced the cracks. They refer to them as "stress cracks." Where the bedroom slide is, that's probably the most easily flexed area of the chassis. We even had a crack in one corner where the entertainment center slideout is. Rest assurred, Keystone will take care of it for you. If your dealer won't, call Keystone Customer Service and ask for Lon Nelson. He'll help you. Let us know how you make out.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Jim & Jin

I HAD the same crack in the same place as you guys have.Mine is a 2001 model that was bought new in 2004.I noticed the crack in september of 2004 and brought it to the dealer for repair.To make a long story short I now have a new dealer that knows what their doing.It was a stress crack,that was fixed by beefing up the framing in that area.and having the fiberglass repaired in that area also.Its been over a year now and the crack is NOT back.Keystone footed the entire bill with no out of pocket money from me.I`am sure you will get the same results I have.My dealer told me that Keystone sends out a kit with instructions on how to fit the problem.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, jim and jin. The oven problem almost sounds like air in the line. You might follow the propane lines with a brush full of soapy water to see if you can find a leak somewhere. On ours, there is a blackpipe propane line under the bottom of the rig. It's outside the bellypan and easily visible.

If not in the external line anywhere, maybe something in the burner mechanism is cracked and allowing excess air? Or maybe the burner needs adjusting? Is the flame yellow or blue?

I'm not an expert but am trying to remember what little I learned during our homeowner years.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Montana_3380
Established Member

M.O.C. #3380
Thanks for helping. We plan a swing through Indiana this summer. Maybe we can get it fixed then.
Jin
Montana_3380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Be sure to get the frame in that area looked at by a reliable dealer. It may be a symptom of excessive flex or, in the extreme, breaking welds. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote