Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan
 
daveinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sun City
Posts: 168
M.O.C. #23256
Battery boxes

Guess itís my day for stupid guestions, but here goes.

I went to put on the two battery boxes and hook them up to the venting. (They werenít attached when I got the trailer.) But when I went to put the tops on, I found that they donít exactly fit what with all the cables on them. Are these just made for when the batteries arenít connected? Because I donít see how to get the top of the battery boxes secured to the bottom when the cable prevent the top from mating up with the bottom. If you have any pics thatíd be fantastic.

Thanks.
__________________

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Vet4jdc
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 47
M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Guess itís my day for stupid guestions, but here goes.

I went to put on the two battery boxes and hook them up to the venting. (They werenít attached when I got the trailer.) But when I went to put the tops on, I found that they donít exactly fit what with all the cables on them. Are these just made for when the batteries arenít connected? Because I donít see how to get the top of the battery boxes secured to the bottom when the cable prevent the top from mating up with the bottom. If you have any pics thatíd be fantastic.

Thanks.
I modified the top on mine so I could close it. Mine is basically a top and bottom half that is made to close and seal at the middle. The box however did not have any opening for the cables to come out. I used a small cutting wheel on my dremel and cut an opening in the back of the top half. Now I can close it and put a screw in each corner. The cables come out of the rear opening. Sorry....no pics.
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 331RL
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7 PSD
Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake Gaston
Posts: 7,418
M.O.C. #12156
Did something similiar, thru the sides
__________________
Mike and Lorraine
2002 3655 FL, 2005 3650RK
2010 3665RE, 2015 3910FB
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
daveinaz
Montana Fan
 
daveinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sun City
Posts: 168
M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I modified the top on mine so I could close it. Mine is basically a top and bottom half that is made to close and seal at the middle. The box however did not have any opening for the cables to come out. I used a small cutting wheel on my dremel and cut an opening in the back of the top half. Now I can close it and put a screw in each corner. The cables come out of the rear opening. Sorry....no pics.
Sounds like the same set up. Guess I’ll get the Drexel out too. Or maybe I’ll use the door knob hole saw and just put a round hole on the side or end.

Thanks.

Just wonder how these things came from the factory.
__________________

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Slow Hand
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Livermore
Posts: 49
M.O.C. #17391
Ya I had to cut mine. Did the bottom half not the top half.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 2,351
M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post

Just wonder how these things came from the factory.

They don't come from the factory with batteries or boxes. These items are installed by the dealers prior to delivery to the purchasing customer, whether they install one or two batteries. Can't blame the factory for this.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #7
daveinaz
Montana Fan
 
daveinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sun City
Posts: 168
M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
They don't come from the factory with batteries or boxes. These items are installed by the dealers prior to delivery to the purchasing customer, whether they install one or two batteries. Can't blame the factory for this.
Interesting. Didnít know that they come with no batteries from the factory.
__________________

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
DQDick
Montana Master
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 15,785
M.O.C. #11455
I got mine from a marine supply and they were shaped so that the cables could be connected. They also have dual battery boxes for two batteries.
__________________
Dick and Joyce, Wilsey, KS & Lakewood, NM
2017 3720 RL, MorRyde pin box
2017 3500 Dodge Maxi Cab DRW 4X4, Pullrite Hitch
IS and Disk Brakes, 3rd AC, Bathroom door mod, etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 837
M.O.C. #17894
My 2- 6 volt and 2- 12 volt batteries have not been covered/vented at all for 6+ years. Never an issue. The front compartments are FAR from air tight. IMHO they get enough natural venting without the need for a sealed box.
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB Curt q24
2011 Montana 3455 SA 6 point level up Disc brakes
Progressive EMS Valterra tank valves Sailun G637 tires Adp fridge control All led lighting
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
daveinaz
Montana Fan
 
daveinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sun City
Posts: 168
M.O.C. #23256
Today I cut slots in th3 top battery box covers so that’d go on like they’re supposed to. Probably not a big deal, but it was stupid to have covers that wouldn’t go on. Besides, this way soothes my OCD...
__________________

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 837
M.O.C. #17894
I think we are all overly anal over certain things. I know I am. We just need to get over the OCD in us. LOL
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB Curt q24
2011 Montana 3455 SA 6 point level up Disc brakes
Progressive EMS Valterra tank valves Sailun G637 tires Adp fridge control All led lighting
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.