Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #21
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
kingdaddy, we did this in summer of 2017 and for Boston we stayed and the KOA Boston/Plymouth and drove to Quincy parked at Tram/train station and took it into Boston for our adventures. For NYC we stayed and Liberty RV Park in Jersey City (near statue of liberty), and rode the ferry over to NYC (a short ride for $8 bucks each) disembarking near World Trade Center memorial, then we rode the subway around NYC to see sights etc. Just be careful to plan your way in to Liberty RV Park and again plan you way back out so you do not have route issues. Have Fun.

Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #22
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent View Post
kingdaddy, we did this in summer of 2017 and for Boston we stayed and the KOA Boston/Plymouth and drove to Quincy parked at Tram/train station and took it into Boston for our adventures. For NYC we stayed and Liberty RV Park in Jersey City (near statue of liberty), and rode the ferry over to NYC (a short ride for $8 bucks each) disembarking near World Trade Center memorial, then we rode the subway around NYC to see sights etc. Just be careful to plan your way in to Liberty RV Park and again plan you way back out so you do not have route issues. Have Fun.
Yes, we are staying at the Liberty RV park in Jersey too! I realize it's just a glorified parking lot, but it's so close to NYC that we felt it was the best choice for what we are doing.
We actually left So. Cal. as planned this past Tuesday, May 1 and we are currently (Sunday night May 6) in upstate N.Y. right on the shore of Lake Erie in Westfield KOA.
Great trip thus far, a couple of minor issues with the trailer. One being that our Splendide Dryer failed...wife is not happy, but not much I can do while on the road.
Hit some challenging weather going over the Rockies heading for Denver, a bit of snow and lots of rain. Some long days of driving, glad to be staying over a day here in Westfield, driving up to see Niagara Falls tomorrow!
Then heading to New Hampshire and Vermont for about 5 days and then to the Atlantic coast.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We enjoyed Shellburne Farms/Museum especially the museum in Vermont and we really liked the Mount Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire. If you like small towns 3 Ponds area is a good visit (actually there are 5 little lakes) We had the best cinnamon rolls at a great little restaurant serving "local comfort food".
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #24
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I never got the chance to see Niagara Falls from the American side. There was so much traffic I gave up. We stayed in Canada and the a much better view from there for sure. You can ride the Maid of the Mist. It will not disappoint. Hope you have a passport. We stayed at the Yellystone campground. It was a drive into town. Yup they take American dollars LOL.
Kingdaddy you are making incredible time. it took me a month to get as far as you LOL.
Don't forget the Maple Syrup. $12 a bottle at most places. I bought some and gave it away. We kept 2 bottles I ran out so fast never again LOL. Now it's Log Cabin.
We loved New York. We got some pizza while we were there by the Empire State Building just because New Yorker's love there pizza so we had to try it. Not sure of the place just ask your cabby. We missed Ellis Island but the Statue of Liberty was incredible. The elevator operator was rude and slow for a park service person. Post some photos.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks Bone...we did not have enough time to do the boat ride, but found a decent parking spot and walked along the river from Rainbow Bridge area up to the falls. Great view, not crowded at all.
We will be sure to get some real maple syrup in Vermont.
Were staying at the Brattleboro KOA for a couple nights, then over to Rindge, N.H. staying at Woodmore for a couple more nights.
Then it's off to Boston, NYC, Wash. DC and then to Williamsburg VA. for the Memorial Day weekend!
Then home on I40...
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #26
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent View Post
We enjoyed Shellburne Farms/Museum especially the museum in Vermont and we really liked the Mount Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire. If you like small towns 3 Ponds area is a good visit (actually there are 5 little lakes) We had the best cinnamon rolls at a great little restaurant serving "local comfort food".
We will have a couple of days in Vermont before my daughter arrives so we may check it out. Once in N.H. we won't have much spare time...we are there for my daughter's graduation from Franklin Pierce University (M.B.A.) so will be pretty busy.

But then she will join us for the Atlantic tour before flying home out of Richmond, VA on the 27th. We then head home on our favorite I40/Route 66!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
One month is not enough time to do this trip. We did ours and it took 3 months. We stayed about 3 days at most places
Nashville is nice not sure about Knoxville. Memphis is ok. We stayed in west Memphis when we went. It was just across the river. Was told not to stay in Memphis itself. Not as nice area. Bass Pro has a cool place there. I missed it but I will get there. Elvis is there so take the tour of his house. Its a must see. the rest is just ok not much. but the house is very nice.
we stayed here https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...26list%3Dfalse
It was right on the river. I had a spot in the shade because it was hot. They do have spots on the river if you can get one. Laundry was free when I went.
When in Oklahoma city go visit the Street Outlaws. See Farmtruck and Azn Get some 405 stuff If you are into that stuff. Nice city though.
Albuquerque New Mexico is cool. They have a tram that goes up to Sandia Peak very nice up there.
I plan where to stay and wife plans things to do. Then we sit and figure how long to stay. I make reservations about a month in advance for holidays and then you kind of get locked into a itinerary. I get all the RV park information and put it in a book so I can call on the road and dont have to look them up . Planing is everything. I used over 1,000 gallons of fuel on my last trip just so you know. and averaged 11 MPG
Absolutely agree with the Tom Sawyer park in West Memphis. You have to drive thru some questionable areas to get there but it is somewhat secluded from that and much safer than Memphis. DO NOT STAY IN MEMPHIS!!! If you do go, only go during the day and stay in the tourist areas. The Memphis Zoo is good, botanical garden and Pink Palace are also worthwhile if you have the time. Bass Pro Shops bought out the Memphis Pyramid and that is certainly worth a visit. You can visit downtown Beal street during the day but don't wander off of it into the surrounding areas (sorta like a mini version of New Orleans Bourbon Street complete with the rough areas off of it). Be sure to go watch the ducks at the Peabody motel and eat at the Spaghetti Warehouse along the river front. In West Memphis they have dog races on the North side of the Interstate.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We have done a couple of these epic road trips both East and West. Whirlwind tours to see where we will be going back to when we retire and have more time. I can see staying at Niagara Falls for like a month. On the other side of the coin I don't ever care to go back to NYNY LOL.....

Out West though there are so many places I would love to go back to and spend several months. Yellowstone for sure and the California Redwoods were amazing!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #29
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Well, we are relaxing (finally) in Vermont for 3 days before moving over to N.H. on Friday-Saturday night. Beautiful, but too early for full spring greenery. Most trees still have the "winter look" to them. No matter, we are thankful to be safely here and looking forward to the graduation on Sat. and then on to the coast and the big cities for 3 days each.
Won't have any time really in our stops on the way home. Just an overnight stay and then on to the next stop. Lots of driving but a great trip so far. the pets are doing even better than hoped for!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #30
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Home again!

Whew...made it home earlier this week after covering about 7,600 miles and 24 states!
Did everything we had planned, no accidents, no tickets, no injuries or illnesses. Didn't lose any pets and only had to fix two or three things on the truck and trailer!
Weather was decent most of the time and the RV parks we stayed in ranged from outstanding (most of them) to just OK (a few of them).
Truck performed very well...I was SO thankful to have gotten a custom, heavy duty full transmission rebuild with a remote mount trans fluid cooler before the trip!
Thanks for all the tips and advice! We managed to avoid the tunnel and low bridge issues (especially in New York) thanks to the "heads up" from some of the MOC experts! Thanks!
Time to start planning the next trip...
Old 06-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #31
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Glad you had a great trip. For those of you who have yet to do this don't delay it's incredible.
I'm sure King Daddy has lots of stories. lOL
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did the New England trip two summers ago. The N.E States are close together so one can cover a lot of territory.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #33
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We did the New England trip two summers ago. The N.E States are close together so one can cover a lot of territory.
Hardly seems fair to count them as states after crossing Texas and Alaska
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #34
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Haha...ya there were a couple of days when we realized we weren't sure what state we were in at a given point of time! Easy to travel through 3 or 4 states without trying hard...
They all have something to see and enjoy, but some were more scenic than others for sure!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Beautiful part of the USA but after being there for over two weeks i can not look another lobster in the face.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote