Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #21
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
With planning our trip to Alaska this summer we contacted Canadian Border Services Agency to get the "proper" scoop. Besides asking the agent about food, pets, etc. I asked him about weapons. He of course stated about handguns which we knew about. Regarding long guns (both rifles and shotguns) he said there is no issue just go to the same website the Oldguard just posted, go to the section for non-resident fire arms transportation and print out in triplicate the forms for declaration, fill them out and do sign until you declare at the border to the agent there and pay your $25. The permit is good for 60 days. The agent was very polite and accommodating. We will need to do the same on return from Alaska.

As for any other restricted firearms you can ship them ahead to Alaska and pick them up there. We are using Three Bears Outpost in Tok, AK which also has an outpost in Montana. The process is quite simple and legal.

Here's the bottomline, if you want to do the right thing, it is easy and all you have to do is be respectful. Regardless of whether you are a US or Canadian citizen, know each others countries rules and laws and follow them accordingly. Some laws are more cumbersome than others and they may not make us happy but they are laws.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

As far as I'm concerned, Canada is as bad as Mexico...different reasons, but just as bad. I'm not going to either country.
As a very "PROUD" Canadian I find it difficult to understand the above statement and will control the urge to not respond in the way in which I would like to.

I have traveled pretty much all of the central and western US and have made many friends along the way, I have made myself aware of the rules and regulations I must observe when crossing into the US and returning to Canada and while I most certainly do not like some of the "welcome to the US searches" we have been subjected to when entering the US, I adhere to your rules, because it is after all your country and your rules, however making friends and seeing some of the wondrous things the good Lord created long before borders existed, is more important to me than not going because I don't like your rules.

It is such a shame that because of his position TLightning will never be able to visit the great state of Alaska with his Montana and will never see the many wonders that make up Canada while making that trip, nor will he ever make friends here that like myself, will not speak unkindly of his country, his countries rules and your way of life.

I hope TLightning might change his opinion, if not then Canada and we proud Canadians will not be shortchanged by his absence.

Tooth ferry: I would only suggest you make yourself aware of any items that you are not allowed to bring into Canada, you can certainly bring rifles and shotguns in which are properly declared, you most certainly cannot bring handguns in and I would suggest you not show up at the Canadian border expecting them to be held for your return, that is "NOT" an option. For anyone entering do not try to bring handguns in undeclared because if you do you will never get them back and will not be allowed to enter the country if you are found to have lied about them. Make yourself aware of the rules as we do when we enter the US and abide by the rules.

If you feel lost without your handgun then sign up for one of our bear wrestling or caribou roping cl//asses, you will find you really don't need one up here...(joke)
I have nothing against Canada or Canadians, in fact one of my best friends, a retired surgeon lives in Canada...I taught him how to fly. My point was I do not wish to go any where when the rules and regulations are so strict as to be a PITA...that includes returning to the USA. I don't want to put up with the hassle, either going or coming back. I've been to Canada many times, all pre 9/11 in a vehicle and post 9/11 in an airplane. Canada and Mexico both come under the "BTDT" category for me.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #23
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tooth ferry

Suggestions requested for - what do you do with your weapons if you are are traveling along the U.S. side of the border and want to go into Canada for a few days?
Just don't take your guns, simple enough.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Find a gun store that will store them for you on the US side.When we go to Canada for a few days we purge the Rv of anything that might suggest a weapon. It is no big deal. We do the same thing for how much booze you can transport , fruit and veggies, etc.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #25
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
To my Canadian friends I love Canada and most of it's citizens. We took a trip to Alaska in 2009. Quite a journey through Canada and of course the border crossings. It seemed to me that there was quite a bit of leeway as to what was asked and what they wanted to know about us. I do not quite understand the fixation on handguns but hey it is their country not ours. I camped 2 nights in a row next to retired RCMP officers and learned the joke about blacks and french men. If you are Canadian I salute you. If not well at least we tried.