Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Attaching to Luan walls

We just bought our new Montana 3075 RL but I still want to make a few alterations by attaching some itmes to the wall. For instance I wanted to attach a magazine rack to the wall in the bathroom. However, I am very concerned about the right way to attach something by drilling or screwing anything into these very thin walls. How do you all attach such items to the walls (mainly interior walls)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
John,

I have screwed many things to the walls of my Cardinal and Montana over the past 4 years. Nothing has stripped out or pulled out yet. I typically drill a small pilot hole and then run a sheet metal screw through it.

If you are planning on mounting a hand grab, you need to run the screw through a stud.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al uses hallow wall anchors, made for thin walls, sorta like a molley (for anything with some weight, like a magazine rack)

if it is something light weight, that will not experience a lot of stress, like a hat rack, he might start with screws, specially if there are more than 2 for the item in question. IF, in the future he has trouble, then he will revert to hallow wall anchors.

for pictures, stuff like that, double faced sticky tape has been used by many, or velcro. We like the double faced tape, and have one rather heavy wooden piece hanging over the entry door with that stuff, course, we used A LOT of tape on that one!

Have fun, enjoy that new unit!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
John
We have a magazine rack in the bathroom put up with 4 screws. It made it fine on our last 3,000+ mile trip. when we put the extra assist handle at the steps we put in on the edge of the wall so it is in the wood of the cabinet on the other side of the wall. I have pictures hung in the bathroom with screws and additionally put some double stick tape on the bottom of each picture to keep them from swinging. I have some other small pictures hung with velcro. I bought a roll of industrial strength double stick tape to use on various things. It is more expensive but well worth it. I used it on the towel bar we have hanging on the side of the shower and it has traveled over 6,000 miles and withstood triple digit temps.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sue and Ed what is the name of the industrial strength tape and where did you get it? I need that for the future. I was drilling a hole through the metal frame on the shower to mount a towel bar for us. I misjudged and hit the glass and it broke into a million pieces.
Montana will not sell you that one panel. You have to buy the whole shower enclosure at $500.00. So that will make the cost of that tape look cheap.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dennis
I got it at Staples. I don't know the name and it is out of its package. It cost like $25 but is a big roll. On the front of the package it showed a brass name plate mounted on a brick wall. I figured if it could do that, it could hold anything on the Monty.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dennis

Bummer on the shower, we have used the 3M brand, purchased some that said "super" or something along those lines. I found once in the automotive department of store like Kmart/Walleyworld/etc. Al says he has seen similar in other areas of the stores.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I had to strengthen one of the TP roll holder brackets, mounted of course on the luan wall. Used the aforementioned hollow wall anchors, and the original screws. It's been solid for six months, and now the other bracket looks like it wants to be strengthened.

I've heard about "Gorilla Tape" http://gorillatape.com/ being used by other members for various things. Sounds like a roll of that would go far in securing almost anything to almost anything!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Mudchief - I wonder if you could have a panel cut at a glass shop to replace the broken one? I've not ever had to replace a broken shower door panel, either in the stick house or the Monty, but it seems like there should be somewhere you could get a replacement without having to buy the entire enclosure. Just a thought.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have a magazine rack in the bathroom that we used screws to attach and it has been fine. We have a clock that is attached with a screw and velco and have had no problems.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Mudchief,
Check with stores like Lowes or Home Depot where they can "Special order" shower glass and shower doors. There may be a company that can help you. don't depend entirely on the salespeople, get the names of the vendors who the shower doors are ordered through and call them yourself if the salespeople say they can't help. (Been there and done that!) You may not be able to order direct, but you can find out if they can get you the size and what you need, and then they can direct you to who to buy it through. I used to work for Lowes, and I know this can be done.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks to everyone for the information. I found the tape and a glass company that will replace the glass for around $90.00. The fun part will be removing the broken panel.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 07-09-2006, 03:11 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Is that safety glass?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That is a good question David I will ask them about that. I sure don't want regular glass in there.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 07-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I slipped once in a shower with NON safety glass in the door. Could have been very bad. The glass shattered and I just barely - I thought - pressed against the glass as it broke with my hip. Thought I lucked out as I stood back up. Then I saw the blood. Carried that scar for two years.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used toggle bolts for heavy items in both the walls and doors. For lighter things I like those screw anchors that corkscrew into place. They are called self-drilling anchors and look like this but are plastic. This one is metal. They surprised me how well they work.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote