Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Is it the dealer or it is Keystone

I posted a few days ago regarding after having a mishap with our 2009 3455SA, we brought it back from TX to NJ to have to repairs done by the dealer from where we bought it.

Dealer kept it five days to check it out and see what was needed. We gave them $500 deposit and thought they were ordering parts. Almost three weeks later they called and asked if we wanted them to order parts yet. On same day we received check from insurance company. Of course we wanted them to order parts, we thought it was done weeks ago. Five days later, husband called dealer. They said they were still working on order as they needed to get part numbers. I would think they had this info before submitting claim.

Husband called Keystone a few days later and they said they had just received the order that day. We thought things were moving along.

Well, not so fast. Dealer calls us yesterday. Said Keystone needed to see pictures of the back wall so they would know what we needed! What, they don't know what a back cap of a 2009 Montana 3455SA looks like? So, I took pictures and emailed to dealer. Unbelieveable!

We are wondering if we made a mistake getting a Montana. We thought they knew what they were doing. One would think BOTH the dealer who sold us this rig AND the manufacturer would know what a one year old product looks like.

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
In November 2003, I pulled my 2955 out of covered storage for a trip from Omaha to Fort Walton Beach. The rear cap caught the edge of a 6X6 upright and did about $10,000 worth of damage. Off to the dealer, dealer said, "Uh-uh!" It was beyond his capability. However, he did have a contract with an outfit close-by that does RV repairs on many makes and models. I took the Monty to him. He gave me an estimate in about 45 minutes. I paid him the $500 deductable and he assisted in working with the insurance company. 10 days later he gave the Monty back with a new rear cap, new tail lights, shore-power receptacle, and maxi-vents on the roof.

I think the answer to you is simply this: Keystone (Montana) can only respond to what the dealer gives them. It sounds to me like the service manager at your dealership needs to be replaced with someone who actually cares about customers. The mishap with my Monty was entirely on me. The repair facility I had was top-notch. Keystone responded quickly to their enquiries and orders. I can find no fault with Keystone and with my particular case, the dealership.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
It appears "pictures" is part of their warranty process. We have a 2010 RL, and our dealer is about 400 miles away in British Columbia. When we first got the 5th wheel home we began to notice things that we didn't see at the dealership. The dealer said they need pictures of everything that is wrong, because they need to send them to Keystone. We live in Calgary and I'm having problems getting Keystone dealers to provide me warranty work in Calgary. I'll be posting this issue a bit later today.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I had a converter problem on our rig when we first bought it and kept taking it back to the dealer to get it resolved. This problem went on for quite some time as the dealer kept dinking around with it and kept telling me that nothing was wrong. But once I got Keystone involved the problem was resolved rather quickly. I think the biggest problem in most of these cases is the dealer, but Keystone is not a saint either. JMHO
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
It appears to me that in most cases it is the dealer that has either no clue as to what needs to be done or they are very lax in their ordering of parts, sometimes both. With just about everything we have had to have the dealer fix they claimed the delays were at Keystone. When I contacted Keystone I was told they had gotten nothing from the dealer and this was the first thing they had heard about it. The last trip to the dealer our rig sat for 5 and a half weeks. When they finally got around to ordering the parts they came in within three days and the work took two days. We have had to get work done while on the road and for the most part the places we have stopped at took us right in and had the parts within two days since we are for the most part full timing. Keystone has always been up front with us and has shipped parts in a timely manner when we needed them. All the delays have been dealer generated for what ever reason... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Might want to consider, running changes. Montana will change stuff mid year, maybe they want to be VERY sure they send the correct parts, especially if it is that back cap. They don't keep a ware house full of those things laying around, they have to be special made. Can't remember the parts you said you need, so, if not a back cap, ignore my post (so many do anyway! LOL)

From reading other forums, for other manufacturers, this dealer thing is not specific to Keystone. Does that make it right. NO.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have seen many cases here on the forum where the dealer made all of the difference. We have all read where Keystone has stepped up to help. I think Mrs. Country Guy is right, Keystone makes running changes and want to make sure. I would recommend to anyone to choose their dealer wisely. Hope your repair goes better.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
I don't want to give the impression that Keystone has not been helpful,they have. We lay this all on the dealer.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nearly always when I've heard of dealers blaming Keystone for delays it has turned out the dealer screwed up or didn't get the order turned in. Our dealer has not had that problem in the 8 years we've dealt with them. A couple of times they did call to tell me something was backordered but they kept me in the loop and never blamed anyone. So I am suspect when someone says Keystone is dropping the ball.

As for the pictures, that's pretty much standard procedure. When we broke a spring hanger our dealer's service manager took digital pictures and immediately emailed them to Keystone. He said Keystone requires the pictures. He had approval for warranty work within 15 minutes of taking those pictures. It seems to be pretty much standard procedure but it sure shouldn't hold things up for any length of time. My guess is that Keystone wants to know a dealer is not claiming more damage than actually exists and then bills Keystone for more work than they actually did. Just a guess, though.

I hope you get things squared away. That has to be very frustrating.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we had a slideout failure where the mechanism broke loose from the floor of the living room slide, Beaudry RV in Tucson, AZ took pictures and sent them to Keystone. Our rig was four years old at the time. When the repairs were done, I was taken to the cashier to settle up a $3500 bill, they said, "By the way, did you know that Keystone paid for this?" Well, no, I didn't know that but I was certainly glad to hear it. Pictures are necessary!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have had a couple of issues with our Montana...in both cases it seemed that the dealer and Keystone worked together to fix the issues we had. The only thing we have not been thrilled with has been the seemingly excessive wait for repairs; however, to be fair, we were getting the repairs done when all of the snowbirds were getting their rigs ready to head back north (and we did not give the dealer any reason to believe we were in a hurry). This caused a backlog in the service department. A wise observation made above, is to pick your dealer wisely...and as has been cited elsewhere in the MOC forum, keep on top of the service department. The bottom line, at this point in time I would recommend both our dealer and Keystone to anyone looking to buy an RV.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote