Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
trailer back up lights

I've been giving this alot of thought since the first time I parked in a dark campground at night. Has anybody ever added some backup lights to the back of a trailer? It seems like an easy modification as I think there is already a pin in the trailer connector for them. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's a good idea, I did that on my last Rv, a travel trailer. I mounted a switch back there at the bumper on mine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't see the need for back-up lights. Arrive before dark and the problem is solved. If I had to arrive after dark, I would first scout out the lot to look for hazards, then my wife would be back there with her FRS radio telling me what to do.

We always schedule our travel such that we try to arrive by 2 pm, not later than 3 pm. This allows us ample daylight to set things up, take a shower, rest & relax a bit before we eat. I might be different in that I do not like pulling my rig after dark!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We do everything possible to arrive before dark, but sometimes its not going to happen. Our Cambridge came with what Keystone called docking lights. To the side of the switch that lowers the Hydraulic jacks in the front is a switch that turns the rear docking lights (back up lights) on or off. They are very bright and they do come into play even when parked and you need to see behind the 5er. But I agree if at all possible be there before dark. Its so much easier to set down about 3:00 pm and just hang out with the wonderful wife. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Happy Camper -

I installed backup lights on our 2003, and am about to install them on our 2007.

I just use standard 55w halagon type driving lights (a bazzilion style to choose from). I have wide rectangular ones that will be mounted to the rear jack cross frame, and small round ones that will point out at an angle from the spare tire frame.

In addition, I have them mounted to the hitch on the truck (hitch lights - Pepboys). The lights are low enough they shine under the Monty and out the side -

The truck back up lights are on a 30A relay drawing power from the Monty charge line (40A) and activated by the truck backup lights. (2-55W lights are too much draw for the truck backup light circuit).

For the Monty back up lights, I ran a 12g wire to all four rear lights (hardest part) and they are powered by the Monty batteries via a 30A relay. The relay is actvated by truck back up lights OR by a remote control on the key fob. That way I can leave them on while I maneuver forward to get in position.

You're ambilical cord has a yellow wire for backup lights that was cut by Keystone at the pin box junction. (Montana doesn't use backup lights). I just reconnected to that yellow wire and pulled new wire under the front deck to the battery compartment where it catches the relay.

The remote control is nice (came with the lights - walmart), but it can just be a switch located in or on the Monty somewhere. I like the remote because I can turn them on from the truck, or even as I walk around setting jacks, etc. They make great docking lights.

We end up parking after dark often - just our lifestyle. Dory is my spotter and uses a walkie-talkie, but she can't see everything, and I can't see her without back-up lights.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Added back-up lights to ours.
Mounted flood rubber head tractor lights under the front compartment doors, so it lights up the sides whne backing up.
Two things to look at.
The yellow wire front the trailer plug is for backup lights.
They cut the wire off when they wire the cable from the TV to the junction box, so you eill have to cut back the cable to expose the yellow wire.
Second, there is no wire from the hitch to the front left compartment.
It took awhile to get a wire through, , do not try and pull them all through as the I beleive the green wire goes to the front upper marker lights.
The other thing you could do is to mount them independent with a switch in a compartment on the 5th wheel, a lot less work.
The other thing I did was to have two magnet sheets that I put over the TV back-up lights as they usually blind you when backing up.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Didn't I see back up lights on the new Big Sky?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yeppers - pretty cool, like the Cambridge. Too bad they didn't carry over the midturn lights from the Cambridge.

Also, the lights are round - most likely pretty easy to retrofit with LEDs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote