Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Running XM and GPS antenna?

Don't know if this is the correct place but here's the question. Currently I have XM radio installed in my truck. I plan on getting a GPS like the Garmin 2720 or the Lowrance Iway500c. If I install the remote antenna for the GPS will it interfere with the XM radio or vice versa??

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
No it shouldn't. Both antennas are receiver anennas and don't emit any signals that would interfere unless the oscillator inside the unit is radiating out the antenna. It's not supposed to but you never know. I would just separate the antennas from each other (don't put them right next to each other) and you shouldn't have any problems.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
On a somewhat similar note.......... does anyone have an XM reveiver in their Monty and if so how hard was it to install? My Roady XT kit doesn't seem like it would work in a trailer, not enough cable or a way to hide, of course I haven't REALLY tried to figure something out yet.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Mac, I used my Roadie all the time in my old TT. I plan on using it the same way in the new fiver. I haven't picked it up yet(next Monday)so I can't say for sure but I don't know why it would be any different. I actually used the FM modulator plugged into a 12v receptacle in the TT. I also used the "home Kit" antenna and just put it up on top of a cabinet. It worked absolutely great that way.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
AZ,

So you just used the home unit and got reception through a window? Never thought of that one, I was trying to figure out how to use the auto kit but that makes sense. I love this site, someone always comes along with an answer.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We had XM in our new truck - actually we still get a couple of channels even though we did not subsribe. We can run it and our GPS at the same time. I saw no difference in signal to either unit.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:12 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have Sirius radio that we move back and forth from truck to Montana. I put a 12 volt outlet for it in the stereo cabinet and just set the antenna on top of the slide out interior trim, or in a nearby cupbord. (You have use trial and error to find a place where it will work inside, but so far we have be able to to do it). Sometimes the trailer stereo will pick up the Sirius even when it is in the truck.

In the truck, we put the Sirius antenna and the GPS antenna side by side on the dash, and they do not seem to interfere with each other in any way.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote