Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
SRW vs DRW trucks-Pros vs Cons

Thinking about buying a "new" TV, currently have a SRW pickup and know that a DRW would give you more carrying capacity. Is there a problem with the rear fenders possibly hitting the front of the trailer when backing it up?? Vehicle I am looking at is a Long Box F350 with no sliding hitch.

Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
A DRW doesn't really give you more carrying capacity, it gives you more stability. An F350 is an F350, whether its a DRW or a SRW, its still a F350. In the Trailer Life tow vehicle review says the DRW actually will carry less capacity cause it weights more with the added wheels and bigger axle and what not.

We went from a F350 SRW to a 3500 DRW Dodge, and love it.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You won't have any problems with clearance when backing. I also like the stability of a dually.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

A DRW doesn't really give you more carrying capacity, it gives you more stability. An F350 is an F350, whether its a DRW or a SRW, its still a F350. In the Trailer Life tow vehicle review says the DRW actually will carry less capacity cause it weights more with the added wheels and bigger axle and what not.

I'm sorry, but this information is totally incorrect. The dually has much more cargo capacity...the tow capacity is nearly the same but not cargo capacity. To prove this point, look at the Tire and Loading Information stickers on the left door frame for a SRW and a DRW...the cargo capacity is much higher.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I agree with Hooker. The cargo capacity of my DRW is 4341 which is lot more than a
SRW. I really like the DRW, it is lot more stable when towing especially in windy conditions. Mine is a long bed and I have never had a problem with the fenders getting close to the trailer.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
One of my drivers for buying a F-350 DRW concerned the extra safety margin should a blowout on one of the rear wheels with the Monty on. It's all a matter of choice of course.

5th Wheel Max Loaded 4x4
SRW 15,800
DRW 20,300

Those are Ford Job1 numbers, Job2 which is currently shipping is higher Job 2 DRW 22,500 not sure about SRW as my book does not have it.

jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
dually and never have to look back, best decision you will make!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Agreed, dually only way to go unless you go MDT or HDT, but then again it would still be a dually.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quoted from Trailer Life 2011 tow guide

"Single or Dual Rear Wheels:
Most people assume that a dually pickup will have a higher tow rating than a single-rear-wheel
unit, but this is not always so. In many cases the gcwr is limited by factors other than the
number of rear wheels and does not change, and in those cases the weight of the wider
axle, bigger brakes and two more tires and wheels is subtracted from the gcwr. The dually
no doubt provides a more stable towing platform for the heavier trailers, although not always
with the highest tow rating. A dually will have a higher gvwr because the dual-wheel
rear axle might have a 10,000-pound gawr, for example, compared to the single-rearwheel
truck’s 6,824-pound gawr. Gawr is not always an exact calculation of the tire capacity
times the number of tires. A dually-equipped truck will be better for hauling a heavy slide-in
truck camper and handling heavy fifth-wheel pin weights because of the weight concentrated
on the rear axle as compared to the conventional trailer’s hitch weight."
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Never had a stability problem with our SRW. Before every trip make sure all tires are at maximum recommended pressure and go. We never get any feeling of insecurity or "the tail wagging the dog" syndrome. Also like to periodically rotate the wheels from front to back and that can't be done with the dually. Also, six tires to replace instead of four, heavier, wider, less fuel mileage. But, as said before, it's a matter of preference.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Going past words or abbrviations like cargo capacity, gcwr, gawr, and tow capacity ... basically you can put more weight on the rear end of a dually and be a bit more stable at the same time. I've never had an issue with the dually fenders with anything I've towed. Some just don't like driving duallies as there are places they don't fit well... auto car washes, narrow bank teller lanes, ferrie boats like at Port Aransas in TX, and narrow streets like in Eureka Springs Arkansas. Some don't like 2 more tires to wear. I think the fuel milage issue is incalculable as I get 19 / 11 solo loaded as do SRW. IMHO ... small potatoes for the advantages.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Unless you have custom wheels with only one finished side you can rotate all six tires on a dually.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:

Most people assume that a dually pickup will have a higher tow rating than a single-rear-wheel
unit, but this is not always so. In many cases the gcwr is limited by factors other than the
number of rear wheels and does not change, and in those cases the weight of the wider
axle, bigger brakes and two more tires and wheels is subtracted from the gcwr. The dually
no doubt provides a more stable towing platform for the heavier trailers, although not always
with the highest tow rating. A dually will have a higher gvwr because the dual-wheel
rear axle might have a 10,000-pound gawr, for example, compared to the single-rearwheel
truck’s 6,824-pound gawr. Gawr is not always an exact calculation of the tire capacity
times the number of tires. A dually-equipped truck will be better for hauling a heavy slide-in
truck camper and handling heavy fifth-wheel pin weights because of the weight concentrated

This post is correct, it`s about towing capacity.
The first post was wrong, it was about carrying capacity.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
To answer the OP's question - no the fenders will not hit the front of the 5er. Yes the rear bumper will come a bit closer on a LB vs. SB, but I can still pass in between the open tailgate and the 5er. I went from a 3/4 ton SRW to a 1 ton DRW and was floored by the difference in towing experience - I would not have believed it if someone told me how much better it would be.

No regrets. The reduced mileage and pain of checking air pressure are minor annoyance. Parking the beast and maneuvering in tight spots are a bit more of pain with the DRW. I took it to the airport this weekend - never again will I go in that parking garage!! But since I bought this primarily to tow, I am much happier overall.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When I first got a dually I was towing an Airstream trailer. I was considering the purchase of the Hensley Arrow hitch. Although it would have been better for towing, for me I believe the dually was the better choice. The difference was un-believable for me in how much more stability it gave me when towing. I’m hooked on a dually and wouldn’t want anything else to tow with. Sometime later on I up graded to the fifth wheel. I’ve never towed with a SRW towing a fifth wheel but I have no intention of going back. The stability it adds is worth all of the inconveniences IMHO. If you jack-knife the truck far enough you will hit the cab but I can’t imagine any way that the dually could hit the camper. We have a long bed and it does have a larger turning radius but for me that far outweighs any inconvenience. The statement about the tail wagging the dog is not a good feeling. I’ve been there and done that and almost bought the shirt as well. I can’t say enough for how much more positive control I experienced while towing with the dually. As stated it is a personal choice but I do recommend watching your towing weights on all aspects.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

To answer the OP's question - no the fenders will not hit the front of the 5er. Yes the rear bumper will come a bit closer on a LB vs. SB, but I can still pass in between the open tailgate and the 5er. I went from a 3/4 ton SRW to a 1 ton DRW and was floored by the difference in towing experience - I would not have believed it if someone told me how much better it would be.

No regrets. The reduced mileage and pain of checking air pressure are minor annoyance. Parking the beast and maneuvering in tight spots are a bit more of pain with the DRW. I took it to the airport this weekend - never again will I go in that parking garage!! But since I bought this primarily to tow, I am much happier overall.
I don't drive a long bed, but is the extra length not between the hitch and the cab?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Yes, most of it is.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I tow with an SRW and am very happy with it. If I used it primarily as a tow vehicle, I might consider a DRW. But mine is used more for a daily driver and I don't want the hassle of working in and out of tight lanes, drive thrus, parking spaces, etc. We take 4-5 trips per year, typically less than 15 actual towing days, and typically less than 2,500 towing miles total. That leave a lot of days/miles running empty.
Stability has never been an issue, even with strong cross winds. It just does not move around much at all.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #19
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Not so...the DRW has more payload capacity and more max trailer load capacity than than the SRW.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #20
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Presume your quote is from Trailer Life...while it may be true in general, it does not happen to apply to the vehicle (Ford F350) the poster asked about. The 2011 DRW 4x4 version has a payload capacity around 1,000 lbs more than the SRW 4x4 version and a fifth wheel capacity of nearly 3 tons more!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote