Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Montana_4487

M.O.C. #4487
Mice

We just returned from a 2-week camping trip at a great campground in the Adirondacks.
Our only problem - Mice! For the first time in the 3 years that we have had our 315R Mountaineer, we have mice. We set traps and d-con in various locations of our unit, and have caught 10 or more.
How can we stop this problem from continuing to occur? HELP!

Montana_4487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Kathy S.

Welcome to the forum! My first answer is said with tongue in cheek: Take em back to the Adirondacks!

Seriously, seems to me this was discussed a while back. You could try searching the archives (go back to home page, look at the far right beside the general areas, see a yellow archives?? search there.

Some of the gang use moth balls, and such things. Others swear by "closing up the holes". Spray some of that expanding foam insulation, or I think one of the other suggestions was some kind of metal mesh stuff.

Well, seems my ole memory ain't so hot, so, hang in there, someone will chance along and give you a REAL answer. In the meantime you might fuss with that archives search and see if something pops up.

Good luck, I feel your angst!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
DECON!!!!!======DEAD MICE!!!!!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also used Decon in our stick home with excellent results. I worried that the mice would die inside the walls and would smell up the place but that never happened. If I correctly understand how it works, Decon makes them extremely thirsty. They head for the nearest water source, drink the water, and that kills them. I think death is nearly immediate but would have to doublecheck that. So, if there's no water source available to them in the Montana, then I wouldn't worry about them dying inside the Montana. If you have a water dish for pets, you might find one floating there sometime.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Actually Decon is the same as the blood thinner, Coumadin, too much and you bleed to death internally. I don't know about the water, but it makes sense, if you are bleeding inside and loosing blood you would probably feel thirsty to try to make up for volume loss.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We recently had mice also. Tried the electronic repeller and bounce sheets with no help. Also tried hedge balls (a fruit that comes from Mexico) no help. Finally went to spring traps and caught three of the buggers. Also put peppermint oil on cotton balls and sprinkled them around the basement and under the cabinet drawers. That seemed to do it. WE don't have any more mice.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Right BigBlue! We thought that we had managed to repel the mice with the electronic repellers and the bounce sheets. WRONG! Guess they just weren't interested at the time. Went back to camp Friday after a 2 week absence to discover we had been invaded. Hell hath no fury like a woman who has had her kitchen mouse turded! Pat has declared war and I look to find the mouse population heavily decimated by next weekend. She promises to show no mercy and take no prisoners!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think that the poisons are great but what happens to the carcas, does it rot away in the duct work or walls, I do believe an order will come about, won't it?
As bigblue said spring traps I always had good luck with them and peanut butter for bait
Old 08-29-2005, 03:47 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Steve
We used to understand that decon works as you described. Thins blood, makes them thirsty etc. But last year another couple joined us at a mountain resort with their small dog. Their room had a box of decon hidden under the bed and their dog ate it. We contacted a vet immediately by phone and he said it caused the blood to thicken. We were instructed to give the dog a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to make it vomit and bring it to him for a shot and some pills to thin the blood. The dog survived! They had to give him a pill once a day for 2 weeks and watch for signs of bleeding. If the dog started bleeding they were to stop the treatment and contact the vet. What you can learn from the MOC is amazing isn't it.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Sure is!! With the curious pup we have, Pat decided that the traditional trap and peanut butter routine, with carefully placed sticky boards will probably suffice. Good to know it was a wise choice! Thanks!!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Bowie I know this is going to sound realy dumb but there is a right wat and a wrong way to position a trap. If you didn't know I'll try to explane.
You put the small end with the bait to the wall, all mice and rats always hug the wall when cruisen around, they will run across the trap try and eat the munchies and set the trap off, it's a sure thing. good luck and happy hunting.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BigBlue, those hedge balls are all over the midwestern USA, too! We had some hedge trees in our backyard and I'd have to pick up those darn hedge balls before mowing or they'd crunch on the blade and dull it. They work well to keep crickets out, though, so we used to put a few in the basement and in the garage. I am not aware of how they work on mice though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 AM   #13
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
We have two cats that are full-timing with us. We had a motorhome before we bought the Montana and never saw a mouse.
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #14
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathy S.

We just returned from a 2-week camping trip at a great campground in the Adirondacks.
Our only problem - Mice! For the first time in the 3 years that we have had our 315R Mountaineer, we have mice. We set traps and d-con in various locations of our unit, and have caught 10 or more.
How can we stop this problem from continuing to occur? HELP!
We had the same problem and took steelwool and the spraycan insullation and closed the holes under the kitchen counter where water and other lines run in and did the same with the holes through the cabinets between the kitchen and bath. If we empty all food stuffs between uses we haven't had any trouble. I set traps and check regularly and haven't had any mice for the last 6 months..
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote