Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Rodgers51
Established Member

M.O.C. #21113
Truck question

Determined I need a new tow vehicle because of weight, has anyone had an issue with short bed dually compared to long bed. Talking in the form of stability on the road

Rodgers51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I do not remember a short bed dually as an option. Only issue with a short bed vs a long bed for towing fivers is consideration of a good slider hitch.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Rodgers51
Established Member

M.O.C. #21113
Ram makes a 3500 draw have a slider hitch in my 2015 Silverado 3500 srw
Old 12-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Do they even make a short box dually?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Rodgers51
Established Member

M.O.C. #21113
Yes they do
Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sure do! Our 3500 Mega Cab Dually would be one. We love it. Frame is the same length, can't understand why there would be any difference in stability. We love ours.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Obviously the longer the wheelbase the more stable the vehicle, but I doubt that you could ever feel the difference. What you might feel however is a rougher ride due to the shorter wheelbase.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The Dodge Mega Cab is on the same frame and is the same length as the long bed, just has more interior room.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Depending on the hitch you don't need a slider with a short bed. I have a B&W and short bed. I don't a slider. If you are stuck with a DRW because of weight than if you feel the need for a short bed truck Ford is out because they don't offer one. Also you get a smaller fuel tank with the short bed truck. Some guys think they need to haul extra fuel around because of this. So a fill up around here could cost you around $200 to fuel up both tanks. So if you still need a short bed this this into consideration.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My Dodge has a standard 35 gallon tank just like the long bed. Unfortunately my bladder doesn't last half as long.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
My Dodge has a standard 35 gallon tank just like the long bed. Unfortunately my bladder doesn't last half as long.

LOL, ain't it the truth
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
The Dodge Mega Cab is on the same frame and is the same length as the long bed, just has more interior room.
Not sure which long bed you are comparing too. But here are the specs for the Megacab DRW Ram 3500, and it has the short bed unless you have had it sent to a conversion shop and had the long bed installed , and the specs for a DRW long bed crew cab Ram 3500.

Megacab DRW Short bed 160.0 " wheelbase ,and an overall length of 248.4

Crew cab DRW Long bed 168.9 " wheelbase ,and an overall length of 259.4

I agree more room in the Megacab, at least behind the back seat ,not sure as to leg room. I too have the Megacab , but it does not seem to have anymore actual room in the back , just behind the seat. I would have to compare with my sons Crew cab Ram short bed to see if it has more actual leg room.

As far as the same frame, no idea ,but having different lengths ,that doesn't seem possible.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers51 View Post
Determined I need a new tow vehicle because of weight, has anyone had an issue with short bed dually compared to long bed. Talking in the form of stability on the road
I wouldn't hesitate to get the Ram Megacab dually, its the only truck offered with in the short bed DRW . Although I tow with the SRW Megacab 3500 its pretty stable with a 15,500 GVWR older 2008 Montana fifth wheel .

The Megacab as far as wheel base its only 8.9 inches shorter then the long bed crew cab dually, so not a lot as far as stability I wouldn't think.

The one BIG think is the hitch. Lot depends on the front cap of the fifth wheel, the pin box etc. I tow with two different hitches attached to the picture frame adapter on the puck system. One is a 18K Reese manual slider ,and the other is the rail mount steel Andersen hitch. Reason for the Andersen I can remove on a trip we take to Montana for the summer, I can easily remove to haul an inflatable pontoon boat for fishing . The Reese slider was a bit more difficult .

The Andersen allows for the fifth wheel to sit a bit further from my cab, and I have absolutely no clearance problems turning or backing. The Reese I have yet to be in a situation where I have had to slide it back with this Ram truck, and remember the Ram short beds are the shortest of the three trucks . Would I tow with a conventional fixed hitch ,NO!!. Obviously I do with the fixed Andersen ,but it does allow a bit more clearance, where my Reese does not.Although I can ALWAYS slide that Reese back if necessary. Lots of hitch options.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
Depending on the hitch you don't need a slider with a short bed. I have a B&W and short bed. I don't a slider. If you are stuck with a DRW because of weight than if you feel the need for a short bed truck Ford is out because they don't offer one. Also you get a smaller fuel tank with the short bed truck. Some guys think they need to haul extra fuel around because of this. So a fill up around here could cost you around $200 to fuel up both tanks. So if you still need a short bed this this into consideration.
I agree, I have towed with two different short bed trucks , and have never so far needed to actually slide my slider back to back in some where.

Not sure your comment depending on the hitch. I sure don't know all there is to know about fixed hitches, but always have been under the impression they are setup to be installed on the center of the axle or just slightly forward say 2". If that is the case and depending on a few things ,like the front cap on these fifth wheels, which are rounded to accommodate the short beds , you could get yourself in trouble pretty fast if needing to back in pretty tight .

Lets put it this way, not sure I would want to put in a fixed hitch on a short bed pickup mounted where its supposed to be. It would make no difference what fifth wheel if you back tight enough you are going to make contact with the cab. The only hitch that is fixed I would put in a short bed is that rail mount steel Andersen. The only reason why is it sits a bit further from the cab, and with the adapter it gives more clearance . I could still get in trouble with it if not paying attention. The key word here is paying attention regardless of truck or hitch .
Old 12-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I agree, I have towed with two different short bed trucks , and have never so far needed to actually slide my slider back to back in some where.

Not sure your comment depending on the hitch. I sure don't know all there is to know about fixed hitches, but always have been under the impression they are setup to be installed on the center of the axle or just slightly forward say 2". If that is the case and depending on a few things ,like the front cap on these fifth wheels, which are rounded to accommodate the short beds , you could get yourself in trouble pretty fast if needing to back in pretty tight .

The vertical risers that support the head of the B&W hitch are reversible. You can install them into the base in different configurations. It can be set up with two inches forward of axle to 4" behind on the Ram puck kits. See the second page of the following PDF link:

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sit...026%202018.pdf
Old 12-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
The vertical risers that support the head of the B&W hitch are reversible. You can install them into the base in different configurations. It can be set up with two inches forward of axle to 4" behind on the Ram puck kits. See the second page of the following PDF link:

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sit...026%202018.pdf

Thats an option, but is it good to tow with 4" rear of the axle. I can see centered or slightly forward, which I was under the opinion thats where you are supposed to be.

My Reese slider is mounted to the Reese picture frame adapter on the puck system on my Ram, and it puts the kingpin two inches in front of the axle. IMO thats right where its supposed to be, and thats not by accident thats how they figure that adapter frame ,and hitches to mount. I had the same Reese hitch in my Ford Superduty short bed mounted to the standard bed rails, and the hitch was still in the same place two inches forward of the axle . Two different trucks ,same hitch mounted in the same place. I couldn't change that if I wanted too.

I guess my point is it advisable to mount that B&W that far behind the axle. Sure it solves the clearance issue to a point. My Reese slider ,slides back ten inches , that puts it 8" behind the axle. Heck why not leave it there its only 4 more inches then that B&W while towing, whats four inches at that point.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I did a bit of a search, and can't find where its recommended to mount a B&W hitch or any fifth wheel hitch behind the axle. Just curious as to why that would be possible or wanted. Sure doesn't sound smart to me .

If someone has a short bed ,and is worried about clearance the smart thing to do is get a slider or if you don't like the manual slider ,get an automatic . Almost sounds to me like B&W is trying to sell hitches without regard to where its positioned . I guess I will read further on the B&W in regards to whether they caution on mounting their hitches rear of the center of axle .
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
I did a bit of a search, and can't find where its recommended to mount a B&W hitch or any fifth wheel hitch behind the axle. Just curious as to why that would be possible or wanted. Sure doesn't sound smart to me .

If someone has a short bed ,and is worried about clearance the smart thing to do is get a slider or if you don't like the manual slider ,get an automatic . Almost sounds to me like B&W is trying to sell hitches without regard to where its positioned . I guess I will read further on the B&W in regards to whether they caution on mounting their hitches rear of the center of axle .

It's only the Ram setup that has the load placed rear of the axle centerline as an option. The B&W for the Ford puck system has it 1" and 3" in front due to the smaller footprint of the base. I have mine setup 1" in front to increase the clearance between my tailgate and the trailer when I'm lined up off angle. I didn't look into the GM mounts. Keep in mind, the Anderson hitch moves the load point back behind the centerline by about 4-5 inches as well. I guess it's no different than having a tag trailer that loads the rear receiver a few feet behind and unloads the front axle.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
It's only the Ram setup that has the load placed rear of the axle centerline as an option. The B&W for the Ford puck system has it 1" and 3" in front due to the smaller footprint of the base. I have mine setup 1" in front to increase the clearance between my tailgate and the trailer when I'm lined up off angle. I didn't look into the GM mounts. Keep in mind, the Anderson hitch moves the load point back behind the centerline by about 4-5 inches as well. I guess it's no different than having a tag trailer that loads the rear receiver a few feet behind and unloads the front axle.

Have no idea why it makes a difference with the Ram truck, behind the axle is behind the axle. Not sure you are not going to find someone thats going to recommend doing it, anyway I didn't see anyone saying it was a good idea. They are doing that because they know if you mount that hitch where its supposed to be it will hit the cab if not careful, and its a fixed hitch .

I tow with a slider hitch in my Ram truck its 2" in front of axle, no problem with it normal towing, and have backed into a lot of places ,no I can't get 80 or 90 degrees . If I did then I can slide the hitch back.

I will measure again, but the way I set my Andersen up, pretty sure its not 4-5".
Old 12-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #20
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Have no idea why it makes a difference with the Ram truck, behind the axle is behind the axle. Not sure you are not going to find someone thats going to recommend doing it, anyway I didn't see anyone saying it was a good idea. They are doing that because they know if you mount that hitch where its supposed to be it will hit the cab if not careful, and its a fixed hitch .

I tow with a slider hitch in my Ram truck its 2" in front of axle, no problem with it normal towing, and have backed into a lot of places ,no I can't get 80 or 90 degrees . If I did then I can slide the hitch back.

I will measure again, but the way I set my Andersen up, pretty sure its not 4-5".

My short box ram has the B&W ball, which is located about 4" in front of the center of the axle. I'm pretty sure that's the standard installation location for that setup. The Andersen set back puts the center of the ball almost exactly centered over the axle. I don't know what the set up would be like with the rail installation but would likely be similar as even the rails puts the hitch point somewhere slightly in front of the axle.

Most would recommend that turning 90 degrees isn't good for the trailer axles anyway so should be avoided. That said, I haven't been in a situation yet where I couldn't make my turn. I haven't tested the tightest degree of turn I can achieve but it's pretty tight.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote