Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ford ESP Plans

We have 31K on the 08 Ford and are looking at the ESP plans. We understand the present coverage...5 years is the magic number..5/60 on the power train 5/100K on the Diesel.
We are doing internet research thing now. We are looking at 7 years 100K 200.00 deductible. The average price seems to be 2100.00

Anyone have any information on a better price..
We understand we are buying two years of coverage and that is about how long we will have the truck...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, have you checked with Good Sam? When we got the esp for our Montana they asked if I also want it for the truck. I declined so have no idea of their pricing but I couldn't beat their pricing for the esp on the Montana. I don't know if they offer it for the truck without also buying it for the FW.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Rich, I got mail from Ford about the ESP recently, too. Our trucks seem to be similar and we have close to the same miles. I just wonder if $2K isn't a bit steep for 2 extra years. This is my first diesel, and I take good care of it in terms of maintenance. I always heard these things will run forever, so I wonder if the extra time is worth it. I know major work on this would be expensive, but should I really worry beyond 5 years? Or should I trade then? Anyone with lots of experience with these things please chime in.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Of the many Fords, both gas and diesel that we own and drive, we have never bought the extended warranty as any serious problems will show in the early stages. When a truck is 3 to 5 years old, parts are more readily available both from Ford and jobbers thus bringing repair costs down. With the powertrains now covered to 5 years or 100,000 the premium for extended plans are far too expensive. IMHO.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I look at it from the perspective of 64,000 more miles of coverage (for the 3 years/36K mile components) or 40K more miles on the drive train as we will exceed 100K before the 7 years are up (at 46K today on a 2 1/2 year old truck). In fact, when the truck went in for the 40K service, they found the radiator was leaking. Not uncommon for a Job 1, but mine is a Job 2 which supposedly has the improved radiator. The radiator was replaced without question. According to some Ford forums, the radiator is not considered a drive train or diesel component and is not covered when the 3 year, 36K bumper to bumper warranty expires. I am sure one could argue differently, but it wasn't necessary in my case. And there are a bunch of other pricey components that can fail between now and 100K.

I decided the ESP was worthwhile just for the piece of mind it gives. Having had my earlier Ford truck self destruct while towing the Montana a long way from home, I am a big fan of piece of mind.

I made a number of searches on the Internet for Ford dealers who sell the Ford extended warranties (7 years/100K miles/$100 deductible), as opposed to other companies. I found a couple who had pretty good prices. One was in New Jersey (or maybe Connecticut??). They have a web based pricing tool where you specify what terms you want (years, milage, deductible) and they e-mail you a price quote. For my request, they offered a price of just under $1,800 (it should be less for a $200 deductible). I took that offer to my local dealer, where I bought and maintain the truck, and they matched it.

There is a profit built into the price, so the dealer does have some wiggle room. My dealer whined it was below their employee pricing, but he sold it to me.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks Carl, Good information. There is a wide difference in the ESP pricing and we want t to get the FORD ESP plan. Am going to out local dealer today and.... bargain...

This truck will be with us for the 100K miles and we just could not afford a major repair bill.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Carl, that is some very good info. I had no idea they would or could deal on ESP. I spent almost $3K on an extended warranty on the trailer, out to 7 years with a $200 deductible, so maybe I need to rethink ESP, provided I can get some price adjustments.

Rich, let us know what you come up with!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
I purchased the 7yr/100k Premium with the car rental option through the web. One of the nice features of the rental car option is that it immediately becomes available. If the visit is for anything covered by either the 3/36 or 7/100 warranty, a rental is available. I've had to take the truck in for a computer update, and they had a rental waiting for me.
gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Carl, the rad situation on the 6.4s has been extended to paralell with the power train (5 year/ 100,000 mile). This is similar to a hidden warranty. Our son's 09 rad give up at 45,000 miles and it was covered with no problem; the truck went in with the Spartan system and dpf delete inclusive of the exhaust change; no questions were asked. Your Dealer has to be on the ball to update their customers of these type of changes.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Bumper to Bumper Ford warranty is 3 /36.. The power train is 5/60 and the diesel is 5/100K. We had a chat with our local dealer who we know and feel will give us a straight answer. We said we wanted to cover the "high Dollar" failure. If something breaks and the cost is 1K well we can deal with that. If it cost 8K that is a different story. The FORD ESP premium care is a continuation of the bumper to bumper warranty and the local dealer will match any price we find on the Internet which was 1940.00 for the 7 year, 100K, 200.00 deductible.

The service manager said the best deal for what I wanted( high dollar failures) was the basecare plan at 1255.00 for the same term.

These are NOT after market Warranties but FORD ESP plans.

We are rolling the information around and have till Aug to purchase. Note that the less miles you have on the truck under 36K the better the prices...
We are leaning toward the premium care plan..expensive..yes. But if something breaks it will most likely be far away from home base and we want to minimize the hassle.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I bought the Ford Dieselcare Plus warranty from my dealer. It covers the engine, i.e. all oil lubricated parts, fuel system etc. It is a 7 year 200,000 mile warranty.
The most expensive item on the truck is the engine.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is true kmh3212. We will never have the truck for 200K miles. It is doubtful we will get 100K on it. Check the price for a xmittion replacement..it is very pricey. The max time we can cover ourselves is 7 yr 100K miles. At the rate we are going we will have @ 75/80K on it at the end of 7 years. If we are still rv'ing we will get a new one. We have never had a truck out of a Warranty.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rich: I'm another of the 'piece of mind' group -- I'm a firm believer that even if it is not a 'major' component that fails, by the time they get the part in, tear the surrounding materials off to replace the broken / worn-out part, and put it back together; even a small thing becomes a big thing on our trucks. The ESP have paid off on several of my vehicles with radio, air conditioner, and other parts over the years that have cost as much, if not more, than the EPP (Extended Protection Plans) locally.

Just my .02....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
rich I have century $100 deduct they have paid out 15550 and i have a little left I didn't buy mine untill 4yrs 8 mo. on Fords 5/100k it $2350 bumper to bumper $250 down 18 payments for bal. On the bal. send pm I'll call u. Jack ,on the road right now, info. in truck
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Rich

We too have been looking at "Service Contracts" and found that the Ford ESP probably covers the most and is the least expensive if you buy online. Some of the after market warranties won't cover you if you have a fifth wheel hitch installed but will still sell you the warranty. As far as I know the Ford ESP covers everything the original bumper to bumper warranty covers. The downside is the warranty starts the day the truck went in service,(the day you bought it). So if you purchase a seven year 100,000 mi. warranty now it's only good for five more years.

Dennis

tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Carl, the rad situation on the 6.4s has been extended to paralell with the power train (5 year/ 100,000 mile). This is similar to a hidden warranty.
It is hard to hold a dealer to a hidden warranty. While your dealer did good by you, there are a number of folks on the various Ford forums who had their 3 year/36K warranty expire and had to buy their own radiator(s). It seems there is some "magic" associated with the degaus bottle "T" retrofit TSB and replacing the radiator one time. If you can believe what you read on these forums, I didn't want to fight with Ford. Too big, too slow to answer, and still smarting from the 6.0L problems.

The Ford ESP covers the radiator and a myriad of other, expensive, components, that can fail while I own this beast. To paraphrase the MasterCard commercial, the piece of mind having a Ford ESP is priceless.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
remembver the difference between Service contracts and Warranties. The service contract is what we buy for our Campers. They cover a list of stated failures. The Ford ESP is a continuation of the original Ford Warranty.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #18
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Rich,
We purchased the Ford ESP on our 2010 F350...somehow, I failed to see the $100 deductible. When I did notice, I went to a local dealer for another issue and while there asked the service guy about upgrading our ESP to no deductible...he said we could do that if we wanted to spend the extra money, but service frequency with our truck did not warrant the upgrade???? So, we have an ESP with a deductible...the plan we purchased covers our truck for 74 months/100,000 miles. The cost was $3,254 with taxes...a lot of money, but we have a lot of peace of mind on the road.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Extended Warranties and the law of averages.

IMHO, extended warranties are a waste of money. Here's why. Let's use an example of the warranty costing $2000. In essence, the company is betting your truck will need less than $2000 in warranty work and you are betting it will. Have you taken the time to run the numbers of what actual repair averages are? You can bet the company has. Not only has their research/experience shown your vehicle will require less than $2000 in repairs, it has indicated that any repairs will still leave them with a profit. So you are better off taking the $2000 and putting it in a high interest CD.

Before you people start jumping up and down about how your extended warranty saved you money, let me say yes, it does happen. But for every one it has saved money for, how many folks do you suppose haven't saved anything (not even counting the initial cost)? If these warranties paid out that many claims, the warranty would cost a whole lot more, period. In a rough estimate, I have owned around 30 new vehicles since I started driving years ago. Of those, I've never had one that an extended warranty would have paid out more money than what the warranty would have cost. So multiple 30 times $2000. Wow - I could buy a real nice truck for $60,000! Even if I had to replace and engine at say $10,000, I'm still way ahead of the game.

Peace of mind? Yeah, OK. If that's what you are after, so be it. But if you want real peace of mind, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll give you a great deal on, and you can start charging tolls and be set for life!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tom You are absolutely correct in every aspect. Every insurance company works the same way. Do you have that 60K that you saved put away in a high interest account in the event you do have a engine replacement which is a heck of a lot more than 10K. Insurance companies stay in business by investing the premiums paid in and working the probabilities. You are exactly right. In all the years we paid into homeowners insurance and never used it we would have the $$ for a nice down payment of a new home and if we did lose the house we do not have 485K (that is our insurance coverage) to re build and re equip. That is why folks buy these things. In my individual case the service contract on the 5th wheel has paid off.Also the Ford ESP is not a service contract but a continuation of the bumper to bumper warranty. We pay a yearly premimun we can afford in the event we have a huge loss that we can not afford.