Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Electricity or Propane?

For the first time, we are spending 2 months in our Montana. On top of that, we are in the Denver area, in January. Therefore, we are trying to figure out if it is better to use, Propane or Electric? I know, to be accurate, we need to compare the cost per Kwh and the cost per Gallon of Propane. Here, the propane is about $3.50 but I don't know what the Electric Cost is. Therefore, the question is more GENERAL. For you long timers, which is usually more cost effective? To heat, we can use either the Propane FAU or the Electric Fireplace. For the WH, we can choose Gas or Electric, as we can on the Refrigerator. We would love to hear your opinions!
Thank You!

N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Here is my opinion.....Electricity is my choice as it is delivered to me and I don't have to carry it and install it. II would also bet at $3.50 a gallon, it is also the most economical. If the temps get too low you will need to heat your basement to avoid frozen lines, if this is the case, then the furnace would be the choice.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Aside from cost, we typically run the water heater on electric only unless it is quite cold. Then, because the incoming water is cold, we operate it on both electric and propane simultaneously to improve the heat recovery time and give longer lasting showers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was in the mid 20's here in Florida a few years ago and we used a tank of propane every 4 days or less. We use electric for everything as it is easy to use don't care what it cost we need it so we use it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm surprised no one has asked you if electricity is included in your site rent. That would make a HUGE difference in which to use.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Electric is good if on shore power. Our monty has a fireplace and an under floor heater in the bath and bed rooms. If no shore power the most efficient for us is the camco wave 6 propane heater. It is my favorite as it is steady heat meaning no hot/cold temp fluctuations, dead quiet, and fuel consumption is very low.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Electric is included in our monthly rent here, so electric it is but if it gets to 32 to 30 I use our propane to heat and to supplement the water heater when taking showers.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Electric is included in our monthly rent here, so electric it is but if it gets to 32 to 30 I use our propane to heat and to supplement the water heater when taking showers.
That's what we do. Frozen water lines can be very expensesive. Are WH works good on electric, but with porpane you get faster recovery.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
You aren't going to get a good answer since you don't know what the Kwh is.

but when camping at campgrounds where electric is included, always use electric.

but, in general I prefer electric heat in the trailer because the furance is loud and comes on all the time. We have the fireplace and a small electric heater that covers most of our needs.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
I have bee set up for the last month in Kansas and, this is the first winter with the Monty. My electric is .16 kw. Propane is about 3.50 from the campground and, 2.90 from tractor supply. If the temps are below 30 I’ve been using the furnace and fireplace as well as a small electric heater. Above 30 I’ve been using the heat pump along with the other two. WH is on electric. It took a few days to figure out a good combination to keep things warm and cozy and, have the furnace cycle less frequently and use less propane. So far I have used approximately $80 in propane and, won’t see the electric bill for another week.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
N2BchMtnMrsh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14360
Since I am on a month to month lease, they are metering the electric so I pay that separately. Trying to use as little propane as possible since that seems to be more expensive over time. But also watching the electric use as that adds up too. Thank you for all the answers.
N2BchMtnMrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #12
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
This is our second winter here in southern Idaho and we use the furnace set at 69 at night and about 72 day. And we use the fireplace all but sleepy time. We had a tank set so propane is $2 per gal. Toasty warm! Price be damned! Sure wish we had made it to quartzite this year ��
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
If you are referring to your heat, you will find that if the temps drop below 40 and there is moisture in the air, you will have to run propane. Trying to use the heat pump in those conditions will make it cycle; the condenser freezes up, the unit shuts off until it thaws back out. Sounds like it's trying to burn up up there.
MAwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Heating with propane can get expensive when you consider the efficiency of an rv furnace. A major amount of the heat is going out the exhaust! Electrical is more efficient as all the heat is captured in your unit. We generally use electricity when available, as mentioned earlier one does not have to handle bottles that can get heavy as we get older.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
Tamu320
Established Member

M.O.C. #23100
If we are staying at a campground and the price includes electric, then it's a no brainer. We use their electric for everything. We started travelling full time in June 2018 down the East coast, and never had to pay seperately for electric. We are currently staring to head out west. Is this common out there to pay seperately for your electricity? Curious to know what you decide, but I would think that that time, transportation and cost of propane would be more expensive than electricity, but having said that, there are many factors which may increase usage (such as running 2 ACUs). Coversely, you are also using propane for cooking and/or heat... increasing your amount being used and the time/money it costs going to get it. Good luck.
Tamu320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
Tamu320
Established Member

M.O.C. #23100
Great discussion. Wondering what you recommend for electrical heat besides a fireplace (if your unit comes with it)?
Tamu320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You need to use the furnace in cold weather to get heat to the underbelly and the water lines.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #18
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
We spent 5 months working in Grand Teton last year (going back in May as I am the new campground manager of Colter Bay Campground) and we tried to use our furnace as little as possible. We used our fireplace heater and set up a small electric in the bedroom. When the temp was going to get below freezing I also set up a small electric in the cargo area which heated the underside and kept the water lines from freezing. It worked for us but our electricity was free.
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #19
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
The furnace and the waterheater are very much inefficient when on gas. Just stand beside the exhaust of either and realize that more than half the heat is blown outside. We live full time and use elect. For both. We have two supplemental plug in heaters. One plugs into the washer outlet, the other in the wall outlet. All three work just fine, we are careful if we add additional heating items, toaster, hairdryer, etc. We only add gas heat to the waterheater if we have a large drain of hot water, doing dishes and showers or multiple showers at the same time. When it gets cold, 27 degrees or so we leave the kitchen faucet drip. Another idea I have but have not neeed it is to place a 25 watt light fixture in the plumbing area of the basement.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #20
Hoopty
Established Member

M.O.C. #19075
The wife and I have been full-timing for a couple of years on the Oregon coast. The temps out her can fluctuate quite a bit in the winter months (20-50’s). We have found the following works for us when the temps dip.
We purchased a lasko heater from Costco (one of the ceramic models for about 60 bucks) that we use to warm the bedroom area at night. We set the thermostat on the portable heater to around 55 at night. We use a thick comforter and block the bottom of the door with a small pillow. Because the bedroom is so small, the 55 degree temp is pretty warm.
When we wake, I’ll set the main thermostat at 68 and run the propane. It usually runs for about 20-30 minutes. After the heater goes off, I put the fireplace on in thermostat mode and set it to 70. This keeps it pretty Nice throughout the day. I can get about a month out of 14 gallons of propane. My electric bill runs about 50 bucks (50 amp svc) a month.
One thing you will notice is condensation. I have two 1 gallon buckets of damp rid that are located in the bathroom and bedroom. I purchased a small dehumidifier from amazon for 65.00 bucks that sits in the kitchen area. I was really surprised about how much water it pulls out of the trailer.
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote