Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Rid X in my black tank: Do you think I wasted my time and money?

I just can't get a decent, reliable, reading off of the black tank lights, and that sorta matters when dry camping.
So, I bought a box of Rid-X (No, not the RV version) and I dumped half a box down the toilet and flushed it down with a full bucket of water.
I then hooked up a hose to the black tank flush port and turned the hose on.
Using a 16 ft. cell-phone snake camera with a light on the end (very cheap on Amazon) I watched until I saw the water coming right up into the black pipe, then I shut the water off. It's as full as possible without coming up into the toilet. Then, I put the snake camera into a bucket of bleach water for a little bit to sanitize it.
Now, I'm going to let it sit for about 2 weekss before my next trip with it, when I'll dump it. Maybe it'll even be 3 weeks.

Your thoughts??
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Sounds like what I have read, I also followed another forum thread and they added a big bottle of liquid fabric softener (cheap at dollar general store) for smell and it supposedly slicks up the plastic and makes it harder for stuff to stick.

Yes my sensors started working again! I left mine only like 3-4 days I think, been several years ago.

I ran garden hose down toilet and used a flashlight and kinked it when water started up black pipe.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We tried a lot of different things, but we know that we can go two weeks before the black tank needs to be emptied. Haven't looked at lights since.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I use about 1-2 tablespoons of Riddex once a month......let it sit till I dump again......also....I add a couple of squirts of Dawn dish soap. Did that when we got the 5ver and the tanks were not right......after a few times with my combo..the read right now. Although...now I know exactly when to dump without looking at the sensors.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sure hope that RidX doesn't eat through that plastic tank. That's is one reason RidX came out with the RV version. Been Rving for quite a while and we know just how long we can go without dumping the black tank if need be but if we are sitting we dump about every four days and that works well for us. We use Happy Camper in the tanks and when we hook up an leave after dumping from one spot going to another I ad some Cascade dishwashing powder and some Calgon liquid to the tank along with about 5-6 gallons of water to let it slosh around while going down our hiways and biways. I've learned not to trust any of the idiot light for the tanks. I may invest in some of the electronic tapes you put on the outside of the tanks. A friend showed me his a week or so ago and they measure the tank levels by percentage and he said he has never had a problem with them and he does a lot of boondocking since he has solar. Until then I'll continue what I do and make the best of it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Sure hope that RidX doesn't eat through that plastic tank.
I'm not worried. There's zero chance it will eat through a plastic tank. It's nothing more than bacteria and enzymes. It's totally non-reactive to plastic tanks. Septic tanks are plastic too. The only thing it dissolves is organic material. The RV version is liquid and orange scented. That's all.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 AM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
I also followed another forum thread and they added a big bottle of liquid fabric softener (cheap at dollar general store) for smell and it supposedly slicks up the plastic and makes it harder for stuff to stick.

Yes my sensors started working again! I left mine only like 3-4 days I think, been several years ago.
We've added fabric softener and water softener to ours after each dump on our last 3 units. It really helps keep the sensors clean.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Sure hope that RidX doesn't eat through that plastic tank. That's is one reason RidX came out with the RV version.
Yes, there is a reason RidX came out with the RV version of their product. It's so they can charge more for the same product. Just like the RV Toilet Paper, RV Mattress, and all the other RV trinkets some people think HAVE to be bought from the RV dealer's store when they can be bought from many other suppliers for less $.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Yes, there is a reason RidX came out with the RV version of their product. It's so they can charge more for the same product. Just like the RV Toilet Paper, RV Mattress, and all the other RV trinkets some people think HAVE to be bought from the RV dealer's store when they can be bought from many other suppliers for less $.
It's nothing more than a liquid form of the home product with a citrus scent added, and yes, it is way more expensive in the "RV" form.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
@ RONDO

Can you get the name of the electronic tapes you are talking about? My opinion (humble as it is - sometimes) is any non-contact method has to be better than the cheap sensors. And it seems posts about sensor issues is second to only tank smell on this blog - at least it seems that way!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WE normally use nothing in any of the tanks when on the road but dump every three days
When at home for a period of time we do use regular Rid X in all tanks.We fill the tanks about 1/2 add the Rid X and let it work for a week or so then dump.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I gave up on any tank sensors after buying my second RV, which was a new Montana. Even with our first, and present, MH I knew they wouldn't keep working. I just ignore them. I rinse my black tank when I dump it and every month or so I rinse my gray tank. Nothing goes into the black tank but some blue stuff from Walmart and Scott's RV butt wipe. Never an issue.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
I gave up on any tank sensors after buying my second RV, which was a new Montana. Even with our first, and present, MH I knew they wouldn't keep working. I just ignore them. I rinse my black tank when I dump it and every month or so I rinse my gray tank. Nothing goes into the black tank but some blue stuff from Walmart and Scott's RV butt wipe. Never an issue.
Same here.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote