Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Things I wish they had added to the 3750FL

We have been enjoying our new 3750FL but wished that there were a few things we wished they had of done. First was to protect the heat duct in the only large bay, we had our dealer build a metal cage around it to protect it. Second have a decent place to store the sewer hose I really feel uncomfortable about trying to jam 20 plus feet of sewer hose in the area when the valves are where there will be water from the hose flowing into the area. Lastly, I wish they would have had a dark cover on the fantastic fan in the bedroom. Any other changes that others have made?
Michael

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The first thing we did was to replace the bathroom doorknobs with actual house rated doorknobs, that was after one broke off in my hand. Our dumping procedure is black tank first, followed by galley tank and then gray tank, eliminating any nasty stuff from leaking into the valve compartment. They do sell max-air covers made for fantastic vent fans that are really easy to install. We have made a few other changes (apartment size dishwasher, added tv coax connector under awning - our year did not have the outside entertainment center, added shelves at the top of the bed in the bedroom for alarm clock, etc.) Have yet to find the need for any drastic alterations other than the satellite dish, stackable washer/dryer, EMS system installation, and am now finally finalizing Autoformer installation. There are all sorts of modifications that will arise as time passes, trust me!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
One of the best mods I made was to get rid of that worthless coat closet in the bottom of the cabinet that has all the switches in. I added 3 shelves and use it as my pantry. I also added a second set of coat hooks under the existing set in the bathroom to replace the ones I took out.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Then there's the cabinet door spring stays for the cabinets over the bed and the kitchen table; the two 18" towel racks on the toilet wall; the hydraulic piston stay on the bathroom outside door; the matching cabinet door handle on the desk; etc., etc., etc. Have fun customizing your Monty!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I just really wish we had a full size basement instead of the tiny one our floorplan has.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Storage of that sewer hose can be fixed simply by hanging a PVC hose carrier under the trailer.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have not had an issue with the sewer hose compartment. My 20' hose fits with plenty of room. Also store the vent cap and rubber gloves there. The compartment is not water tight and any water from the hose rinse is ejected.

Add-ons/projects: satellite dish, backup camera, fishing rod tubes behind heat vent in storage area, tripod for bedroom tv to work outside, struts for kitchen and bedroom cabinets, extra 12-volt battery with vent cover, 5th wheel latch kit, 2nd A/C, screen door protectors, outside vent screens, and three end tables (two in man cave and one in bedroom).

I think the storage is fine when coupled with the rear storage compartment. I am able to fit everything that I stored in my previous SOB 5th wheels and MH, including the dog pen, campfire in a can, and flag poles.

I like the idea of a shelf in the bedroom for the clock. Tried to price the ones in the queen bed setup and they were too expensive. Bingo....could you send me some pics of yours? Also like the pantry shelves in the kitchen coat closet....kab449...would you send/post some pictures?

All models will never be perfect....that is what challenges us to make it as perfect as we can. Enjoy!
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Captain Joe:

Cut two pieces of 3/4" stock to fit in the sides of the cabinet. I have a jig in my shop that spaces 1/4" holes to accept the shelf holders Pins. I glued Hickory fronts on the shelfs for appearance and for a lip to keep the shelf contents from sliding off.
It really holds a lot of food and is really convenient.
If you have the same interior and want to know what matching stain I used PM me.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Nice job Keith, the shelves look really good.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
Here is what I installed, a set of two shelves that fit at the head of the board on either side of the window. They are about 12" wide so they fit perfect in the space. Used wall anchors and the provided screws to do the mounting.
Floating Wall Shelves
As usual, camper is in mini-storage so pictures are kind of difficult at present, if you still want pics, let me know and I will post them at some point in the future and PM you.
Bingo
Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Nice job Keith, the shelves look really good.

Thanks, your comments are appreciated.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
dejama
Established Member

M.O.C. #6250
Have any of you had any issues with cold air coming in thru the desk drawer area. We have had so much air it would actually blow out a candle. We took the panels off inside the bay and found 2 inch gap the width of the trailer. When we took it into the dealer for other repairs, we showed them this gap that goes to the underbelly. They told us this is the design. THey tried to tell me that it was designed this way to warm the holding tanks..but we have so much cold air blowing up that it froze the cold water line that is 4 inches above this gap. We are very frustrated. Any suggestion would be very appreciated. Oh things we did to modify our new home. Stuts on cupboards in dining area and bedroom. And the big one that I love... we had custom cupboard doors made to have the cupboard above the sink become a pass thru. Also had cupboard doors made for under the desk so we can now get to the water lines. I could go on about other issues we have had..but probably have griped enough.
dejama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have noted the excessive amount of air blowing from the desk when we open the drawers. I can state that our rig also has this gap you mentioned. At some point in time I hope to investigate how well the underbelly is sealed and see if some gorilla tape can remedy the air blowing situation. It will require some crawling around or the use of a mechanic's crawler but there has to be a place for the air to get in the underbelly. We have not camped in really cold temperatures yet (28 degrees was the lowest overnight), so have not experienced the freezing line issue. I need to get those struts for the overhead cabinets ordered and installed, your post reminded me of yet another mod that I have to get done.
Bingo
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #14
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
@ Keith. Shelves look great. I would appreciate a PM giving me all the details and stain color. We really like the mod. Thanks in advance.

@Bingo. No big hurry, but if you would PM me pictures, I can see exactly what you did. Also, thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention in my other post a mod I did. I installed the heat strips in both A/Cs. We are currently camping and it has been 34-40 at night and 60-65 during the day and the heat strips keep the Monty a nice 69 all night. This has been a great mod and the propane savings have been great.

I have not noticed air coming from under the desk.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

I forgot to mention in my other post a mod I did. I installed the heat strips in both A/Cs. We are currently camping and it has been 34-40 at night and 60-65 during the day and the heat strips keep the Monty a nice 69 all night. This has been a great mod and the propane savings have been great.
Heat Strips?

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dejama

And the big one that I love... we had custom cupboard doors made to have the cupboard above the sink become a pass thru. Also had cupboard doors made for under the desk so we can now get to the water lines. I could go on about other issues we have had..but probably have griped enough.
This weekend I checked out the corner cabinet construction and indeed it is a pretty simple mod to add the doors on the backside to improve access to this large cabinet with limited access. Thanks for the idea. The shop has a new project.
I assume you added the doors under the desk to thaw out the water lines as I don't believe there is any useable storage space in there.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Here is a link to the Heat Strip that I installed in my unit. All weekend, we were in the mid-30s to low 40s in the am and 55-70 during the day and no propane for heat was used. At about 7pm, we turned on both A/Cs, (bedroom medium and dining on low - both set at 69 degrees). 69 degrees was maintained all night and we turn off the units around 10 am when the outside temperatures warmed the RV. Make sure you get the correct model for your A/C. This unit will fit Model Series 5791x, 58xxx, 59516, and 52xx1x. The heat strips have a screw hole and another hole for a pin. The unit plugs into the circuit board and you throw a dip switch and the thermostat will recognize the heat strip. We have two ducted A/Cs.
http://www.rvpartwholesaler.com/serv...isk-Air/Detail
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #18
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

Captain Joe:

Cut two pieces of 3/4" stock to fit in the sides of the cabinet. I have a jig in my shop that spaces 1/4" holes to accept the shelf holders Pins. I glued Hickory fronts on the shelfs for appearance and for a lip to keep the shelf contents from sliding off.
It really holds a lot of food and is really convenient.
If you have the same interior and want to know what matching stain I used PM me.
What a great idea!! Looks beautiful and so useful for such an otherwise worthless space. Great job!
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We must be the only ones that actually use the coat closet it appears? I do like the mod though. I have been trying to conjure up some kind of rack that would effectively allow us to use the bottom of the space for shoes since the area is so small. I am also planning to add hinges to the wooden grill at the bottom step and gain a place to keep a couple of pairs of shoes there........gotta have mucho shoe storage for the Imelda Marcos wannabe that travels along!!
Bingo