Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
JnSWells
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12081
More questions about new 3150

I am trying to figure out Dometic furnace settings and see it has a reading for the outside temp... but no temp just reads outside. Is there a sensor outside or is this something you have to buy to use this feature.. What is the zone 1 and 2 for? Different auto time settings? I can set each but pressing zone button after set does nothing, won't change from zone 1.. Also can awning deflappers be used on an electric awning? Enjoy all the help here as our dealer went over hardly anything with us.. Thanks, Suzanne

JnSWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Zone 1 is for rear AC, zone 2 for front. Furnace mode for heat. I am not familiar with outside temp. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Suzanne,

The outside temp doesn't work on the thermostat. I don't know if you can buy a separate sensor for it or not. I purchased a seaparate thermometer for the inside outside temps and humidity. It is a wireless unit. Like Larry said...zone one is for the living or rear area AC and zone 2 is for the front or bedroom AC.

You could use the deflappers for the awning, but it would be difficult to install each time since the awning is taller than your manual awnings. Just have to remember to take the deflappers off before you retract the awning.

Don
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I use the deflappers on my electric owning. But in order to do that I got 2 lengths of 1/2" angle aluminum from Home Depot. I cut these to a length to fit the owning, and drilled each end of the angles and the owning arms. When I set up for an extended period of time, like a month or more, I install the angles with small machine screws and nuts, put on the deflappers, then put on an additional sun screen that reaches to within 2 feet of the ground. The final setup (takes about 20 minutes) can withstand 40 MPH winds, so I only take it down for severe weather forecasts or when it is time to leave.

P.S. I also run tie-downs from each end of the awning roller to spikes (in hard ground) or screw-in awning anchors (in soft ground).
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even though I have the same type of thermostat that shows Zone 1 & Zone 2, I have only the living room (rear) A/C unit, so this setting means nothing in my case.

If I purchase a second A/C I would probably install a stand alone unit and not connect it into the thermostat so the zones would still mean nothing.

I can't help with the outside temp option either. This should have been covered in the PDI (pre-delivery inspection - similar to a house walk-through where the seller and buyer go over how and that everything works.) Maybe it's covered in the furnace or controller documentation. SHAME on the dealer for not doing this! On the other hand you might have not made this a contingency for the sale. We were lucky that the dealer did this for us when we bought ours and showed us that how everything worked and that it all worked.

I have the separate types of external and internal temp systems at the stickhouse and the rig and the better ones require a separate "temp/transmitter" to send the information. For my rig the unit has a sensor on the end of a long wire (not a transmitter), but I haven't used it yet because I haven't decided where the sensor should go. You'll need to find if it was included or not. Another common problem is that the battery for this external thermometer's transmitter goes dead. But you still need to find its location to replace the battery.

There are two types of electric awnings I know of. There is the simpler version that just uses the motor to extend/retract the awnings which is an advantage over the manually operated ones (like I have) that requires a wand to release the catch and then manually extract the awning. This simple motor makes it a lot easier to use for extending and retracting the awning (no catches, no wand). You can then use deflappers or other apparatus to reinforce its strength since the motor operation is controlled by the owner, just like one could do with a manual awning.

The second type of electric awning (not sure these are offered on Montanas) adds some kind of sensor that monitors the weather and certain conditions and will cause the awning to automatically retract. It's probably written somewhere that one should NOT add anything if this can't be overridden. You can only imagine the problems if you've added deflappers and staked the awning down for additional strength, then the sensor tries to retract the awning. This is where climate monitoring becomes critical.

Shame on the dealer for not accomodating your PDI on the sale! Unfortunately some dealers won't take the time to offer a PDI either.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If you have an awning that auto retracts in a high wind then I would say you are out of luck,unless you can disable it. You sure that sensor you see is not for the awning retract feature?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JnSWells

I am trying to figure out Dometic furnace settings
Here is the link for Dometic's operation manuals:

http://dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA...ation-Manuals/

you might be able to find yours on there.

Greg
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
JnSWells
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12081
Found out by reading manual online, outside temp reading is only available with heat pump.. I believe our awning is just out and in, no weather sensor, as I mentioned this to the kid who did our brief PDI, and he'd never heard of the weather sensor type.. It was probably some of our fault for not getting a good PDI, as we started thru the 3100RL we ordered and I halted it, and decided not to go thru with purchase..( So many things wrong with it) So when we opted for the 3150 they showed us nothing... Although no walk thru of original was done at all...Also we took this right off the lot, no checking of electrical or plumbing.. We will be de-winterizing next week and try all out, hopefully all goes well.. We purchased this too far from our home, as a suggestion, buy locally if possible.. Luckily we purchased from Camping World and another one is nearby for warranty service.
JnSWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
hi all. i have a 3150 too. I see what the "outside temp" in, i was wondering if i was missing something. A couple of things about our 3150....1. the furnace is loud and in cool/cold weather it seems to run frequently... 2. your awning is just in/out, not weather sensor related, if you are planning on putting miles on it GET G rated tires; I went through 4 E rated tires and finally put the Gs on. 3. You may want to get a better mattress. 4. Unless you have 3 cable entries on the outside of the trailer you will have some problems if you add a satellite dish. 5. on your tv/dvd they tell you you have "surround sound" but they way they wired the trailer it is only on the DVD, not the TV when just watching TV....it needs to be rewired. 6. you only have one A/C but it is wired for a second A/C. 7. we put a shelf under the desk...this is where i put the printer. 8. don't be surprised if your sofa and chairs start to fall apart within the first year.
drop me note if you have any questions but GO to a Montana Rally, you'll learn a lot.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We too have a 2011 3150RL and I agree with tire situation as that is the first thing we are doing this spring, for peace of mind, as we have not had an issue yet with the tires. As for the mattress, ours came with a name brand innerspring pillowtop and it is very comfortable. We added a satellite dish with no wiring issues and the surround sound works great with all applications. At first it only worked with DVD, until I found the correct settings on the receiver and now beautiful surround sound on everything including the ipod!! The quality has been good in our unit so far. The heater/AC is loud but we use a portable electric heater most of the time so it doesn't bother us. We love our new 3150RL and have it equiped the way we want it now and look forward to Spring and the open road. I hope you enjoy yours as well.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote