Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Leather Recliners

When we purchased our 2011 Big Sky it came with leather recliners. Looking for some recommendations on how to travel with these so that the backs don't rub each other? We already have some areas on the back that have rubbed the material off. Will have to see what I can do to patch them.

Right now I am not a happy camper.....
Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have cloth recliners in our 3000RK and we put a small blanket on each chair. Place them back to back and use a nylon tie-down to cinch them together.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
When we had the cloth recliners, we placed a pillow between them in back-to-back fashion and likewise used the straps to tie them together.
I would think that would work with the leather as well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
We travel with the recliners back to back with a pillow between them and tied together with an adjustable strap. The desk chair and small table we place inverted on the seat cushions and tied down with the factory straps to the floor mounts.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Made the mistake of putting the small table between the back to back recliners and cinched up tight with the straps. In only a few months, not only did it wear the recliner backs, it rubbed all the finish off the edges of the table. I now use soft bath towel over the table and down the edges and strap up as before. Still have not yet refinished the table.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The rear of the fiver is the most violent as far as bounce and movement. We do the same as above ... beach towel between the chairs back to back using the supplied tie down straps
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
We have cloth recliners and my wife made covers from vinyl that slip over the head rest part and they not only serve to keep the chairs from rubbing but also to keep the backs clean. We then use a piece of bungee rope to secure them together , back to back as well as secured to the floor. It works for us.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Our Big Sky came form the factory with grey cloth covers over the leather chairs and couch. I think they were supposed to be temporary, but three years out and we still use them! They have done a great job protecting the leather.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for the info. I think next time out we will try back to back with pillow between and the two chairs tied together. I guess the rubbing occurred because the chairs were tied down, but not together, so each chair had some movement.

These chairs must not have much material on the back, we always tied our cloth ones down from our 2005 Montana the same way and never had a problem. Guess I'll have to find a way to fix the back.

To all who have replied I have one more question:
Besides tying the chairs together to stop the movement, do you also tie them to the floor?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We didn't think of keeping them, now I wish that we did.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Our Big Sky came form the factory with grey cloth covers over the leather chairs and couch. I think they were supposed to be temporary, but three years out and we still use them! They have done a great job protecting the leather.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

Thanks for the info. I think next time out we will try back to back with pillow between and the two chairs tied together. I guess the rubbing occurred because the chairs were tied down, but not together, so each chair had some movement.

These chairs must not have much material on the back, we always tied our cloth ones down from our 2005 Montana the same way and never had a problem. Guess I'll have to find a way to fix the back.

Besides tying the chairs together to stop the movement, do you also tie them to the floor?

Yes, we have simply done what the factory did. They had those covers I mentioned,and the chairs were fastened down to the floor cleats.Also, as I think about it, the two are facing each other, not back to back.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

Yes, we have simply done what the factory did. They had those covers I mentioned,and the chairs were fastened down to the floor cleats.Also, as I think about it, the two are facing each other, not back to back.
So you use the covers and only use the floor cleats. The chairs when they face each other have plenty of clearance from the side windows? There is so much movement on the top of the chairs that I thought they might rub against the windows.

Thanks for the info.
Marge
Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We travel with ours facing each other with a blanket between. We tie them down to the cleats on the floor and then a strap encircling the chairs. Sounds like overkill, but we know how the tail end bounces around.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote