Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Washing the 5th wheel

How often do you guys wash and wax your 5th wheels?
What type of rv soap is good to use?
I dont mind spending a little extra on something that will work well. My monty gets stored indoors and gets washed after every use. I have been using car wash soap and just read up on some info that i shouldn't be using it. Any other tips and tricks that i might want to know in regards to keeping this thing spotless? It takes me roughly 3 hours to wash after each use.

dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I picked up a gallon jug of Ice Car Wash by Turtle Wax from Costco some time back and have been using that. I will wash it every time I bring it home from storage just before a trip. And if it has been a long trip I will wash it before I put it away. As for waxing I will wax the sides once a year with a product called "The Solution". And the front and rear caps I will do three or four times a year with Nu Finish.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I can't imagine why you would't want to use car wash. You want something that will clean without stripping the wax and that's what car wash does.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I use dawn (blue) dish soap on the roof and the rest of the Monty when it's dirty and wax it with RV wax.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Baby Shampoo, and Bounce Dryer Sheets for the front to get the bugs off.

I have been using Mr. Clean Autodry Clean Machine for a couple years, but the soap recommended for it, from Mr. Clean, is becoming difficult to find in stores.

Basically I follow these instructions
. They do pertain to a full body paint, but I suspect they would be good for any vehicle. I vary by sometimes using Baby Shampoo, and Bounce.

Since I have a covered storage area, I sometimes did not need to wash it before departing. I did wash it after every trip, and I wash it as needed while on the road if the CG allows. I never waxed the 3400RL, and I do not presently wax my SOB. (It needs a washing right now if you need to practice.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
My trailer gets stored in covered parking and is mostly out of the weather. I wash it 3-4 times a year. I couldn't imagine taking the time to wash it after every time I use it. On the other hand, I have a friend who climbs on his roof and sweeps it off before he hits the highway to go home after being in a campground. You would think that 65 mph wind on the trip would take care of that.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We use Thetford premium wash and wax when we wash the rig. We also store ours inside when not in use. We also use Protectall to wax once a year. People will often tell us how nice it looks being 5 yrs. old. We do wash after long trips.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
I use Murphys Oil soap for the roof and sidewalls. I pour some in a square cake pan (pint) and dip my wet brush in it. I do not mix it with water in a bucket. It does a terrific job and when your done the water will bead off the side walls like it has just been waxed.You will also notice the bugs come off the front cap much easier. It also does an awesome job of cleaning the windows and awning. Make sure you rinse real good or you will get streaks. I buy mine by the gallon at Lowes. I wash mine at least onced a month. The soap is biogradable so it doesn't kill the grass or hurt the decals.Once you try it you will be sold and it is very inexpensive.!!
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use dawn blue for the wash and a liquid wax . Have never hand waxed it and never will.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I use blue dawn dish soap myself, followed by Mothers Carnuba wax, and do it by hand. Wax at least 2 times per year, sometimes 3. It looks good and mine is stored outside year around. I was looking at it just the other day and it is definitely time to wash and wax after the winter months.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
i usually wash mine before we take it out on a trip. Used to wash before we put it away, but it just gets dirty in the storage lot. I use RV wash, car wash, or dish soap, whatever I have on hand, and wax about once a year. Still looking for something to use on the end caps to keep them looking good.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I use whatever car wash soap O'Rielly's (formerly Murray's around here) has on sale and usually wash it in the spring and the fall... unless we get it really dirty sometime in between.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
With 24 years in the automotive industry, I have been repeatedly told not to use dish soap because it is too strong and will strip the wax off. On the sides I use Meguiar Car wash and wax with Meguiar Boat and RV Wax. The roof manufacturer Dicor says not to use any product on the roof made of petrolium so I use Simple Green on the roof.
royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I use some RV wash and wax I picked up at Walmart. Forgot the brand.
Wash it before we go out the first time of the season (this morning in fact). And maybe again later in the season depending on how dirty it gets using it 35-40 nights per year.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
rhino1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #10152
I use Meguiares Boat and RV wash everytime I go on a trip. I wax the front and rear caps once a month with Meguiars Boat and RV wac. I squeegee the side walls and windows after washing to prevent the water spots.
rhino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
This coming weekend I will be waxing the Monty with Mequires Pure Boat and RV Wax No. 56. I wash at least once per month using Thetfords Premium RV wash which really works well on fiberglass. I scrub the roof once a month with Thetfords Rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. That really works well. Lot's of work but well worth it in the end.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Our old SOB TT,we used Mothers paste wax (a lot of work but worth it) and Mothers car wash soap. Good waxing in the spring and before we put it to bed in the fall. Dirt, bugs and streaks come off real easy. Stored outside. Plan on doing the same with the new Monty!
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #18
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
When I get on the roof to clean it, I'm careful not to accidentally step on the vent covers and crack them. Don't ask me why.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
Dave, I don't have to ask why. They're not really that hard to replace though, especially the second time.
As for the blue dawn, I was told that it would strip all the conditioner off the roof and that was bad. I just cleaned mine with some stuff from the camper store, of course, they are the ones who said don't use anything but their soap.
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Despite what anyone may say, Dicor, the manufacturer of rubber roofs recommends Dawn dishsoap for the roof.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote