Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
BarkingCrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #23127
New to this... Heat Pump is short cycling. Concern?

Hey folks... we'll introduce ourselves in the Intro area, but need to ask a question first.

We are living full time in our 2019 Montana High Country 331RL in central Tennessee, atop the Cumberland Plateau (just south of Fall Creek Falls State Park). It's a bit chilly at the moment (26 outside as of 8:30 AM), so we obviously have the heat on. This RV has two heating options for the main living area - heat pump (electric) and furnace (propane). I kick it over to furnace two or three times a day, to get it nice and toasty, but it uses a lot of propane, so I'm trying to keep it on heat pump as much as possible. We're hooked up to 50 amp and the electricity is cheap, so it's the preferred option. However, the heat pump is 'short cycling'. At least that's what I would call it. The unit runs for a bit and is keeping the place warm, and it cuts off when it hits the temp we have on the thermostat (69 at the moment). But, it immediately comes back on. We're talking 2-3 seconds before it cycles back on.

Is this normal? Or is it simply too cold outside for the electric heat pump to keep up and I'm wearing the thing out? If I have to use the furnace more, OK. We don't want to be popsicles and I certainly don't want to damage anything.

Thoughts? Any input is greatly appreciated.

D

BarkingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
It does this when it changes from high to low fan speed, try setting a fan speed instead f auto. Either high or low. Keep in mind that it will run when on furnace instead of heat pump unless you set fan speed back to auto.
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
By the way, our experience is that it will not do much heating below about 40F. But it will switch from heat pump to furnace if it decides it cant keep up on heat pump.
Snowy
Old 12-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Also, you need to understand that the heat pump won't keep your pipes from freezing. Only the furncace will. If your going to be in one place for a while many of us rent a larger tank from a propane dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
BarkingCrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #23127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlscott185 View Post
It does this when it changes from high to low fan speed, try setting a fan speed instead f auto. Either high or low. Keep in mind that it will run when on furnace instead of heat pump unless you set fan speed back to auto.
I don't have it set to Auto. I have it at 69 and on Heat Pump. As I said, I move it to Furnace 2 or 3 times a day, as I know the Heat Pump isn't designed to keep things warm all by itself, when it's this cold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Also, you need to understand that the heat pump won't keep your pipes from freezing. Only the furncace will. If your going to be in one place for a while many of us rent a larger tank from a propane dealer.
Hmm... that's not what our dealer told us. The unit has the Four Seasons package, so they said either heating option would keep things from freezing. No issues so far. I know the line for the ice maker is exposed, so I cut it off under the sink (in the island) and disconnected it under the kitchen slide-out to drain any water in it. Otherwise, we were told the only time we'd need to worry about potential pipe freeze is if the unit is not being heated at all. I'll monitor things though, so thanks for the info!

We're at an RV park at the moment. We'll be relocating to our land/farm in a few weeks and plan to have a 300lb tank installed on the property. Lugging these 30lbs-ers would get old really fast.

D
BarkingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Hmm... that's not what our dealer told us.

NEVER believe your dealer or salesman! The heat pump only circulates air within the living space of the rig, so it will not move warmed air into the belly area of the rig where your plumbing is most exposed to freezing temperatures. Only your furnace will warm the belly area because it has ducts that go down into that area. We have been in temperatures as low as 9 degrees, and with the furnace running, never had a pipe freeze.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingCrow View Post
I don't have it set to Auto. I have it at 69 and on Heat Pump. As I said, I move it to Furnace 2 or 3 times a day, as I know the Heat Pump isn't designed to keep things warm all by itself, when it's this cold out.

Hmm... that's not what our dealer told us. The unit has the Four Seasons package, so they said either heating option would keep things from freezing. No issues so far. I know the line for the ice maker is exposed, so I cut it off under the sink (in the island) and disconnected it under the kitchen slide-out to drain any water in it. Otherwise, we were told the only time we'd need to worry about potential pipe freeze is if the unit is not being heated at all. I'll monitor things though, so thanks for the info!

We're at an RV park at the moment. We'll be relocating to our land/farm in a few weeks and plan to have a 300lb tank installed on the property. Lugging these 30lbs-ers would get old really fast.

D

My heat pumps will short cycle like you describe if the temps are at or below freezing. The fan switch to auto doesn't make a difference. The unit can't extract heat from the outside air at those temps.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
In my experience, the fan speed setting on the thermostat needs to be on either high or low. If on auto, it will stop the fan first when it changes fan speed.

I am also under impression that if it detects the condenser/evaporater outside has frozen up, it will reverse itself for a short time so it can pump heat outside to thaw it. Maybe this is happening.

Also, as I stated, it will revert to furnace when it can’t hit the set temp. And your dealer is incorrect about the heat pump heating the belly. There is no way for it to get heat into the belly from the overhead ducts.
Snowy
Old 12-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
Another heating option would be the fireplace and if electricity is cheap than maybe using a plug in space heater would help as far as the use of propane and not help with the whole belly thing. Just sharing my .02 of what I have read on this site. And from my expierence the heat pumps limit is about 40 degrees.
Respectfully Dirk
Livin salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
The colder it gets the less efficient a heat pump is . Add moisture to this and they freeze up at around yes 40 degrees. Sometime if it really dry air then you’ll get some heat down to 30 degrees
The cycling you are referring to is almost certainly freezing, you can confirm this by pulling the cover off of the roof top unit.
There is NO ducting from your roof units to the basement.
Get a couple of ceramic heaters, put 1 in the basement and use the other inside also my with the fireplace.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The heat pump will not work below 40 or so. Buy couple of Lasko towers at WM and use them to heat the coach and run the furnace enough to keep the basements from freezing. Or, if you can manage it, get another electric heater and run the power cord to the stalk...so you don't over load your on board circuits, and put it in the basement. One thing to keep in mind, all, and I mean all, electric heaters put out a max of 1,500 watts of power, including on board fire places.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
Help! This Thanksgiving I needed the furnace. Outside temps were in the 30's at night. When turning on the furnace the heat pump came on as well. I got warm air at the floor vents and cool air at the ceiling vents. Can someone explain how to operate the thermostat for the following settings? Thanks.

1. furnace heat only
2. heat pump heat only
3. both furnace and heat pump

4. air conditioning only
Old 12-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
Help! This Thanksgiving I needed the furnace. Outside temps were in the 30's at night. When turning on the furnace the heat pump came on as well. I got warm air at the floor vents and cool air at the ceiling vents. Can someone explain how to operate the thermostat for the following settings? Thanks.

1. furnace heat only
2. heat pump heat only
3. both furnace and heat pump

4. air conditioning only
Turn you fan to “AU” auto. Sounds like you’re having the same issue i experiences. Also go to you tube and search domestic thermostat. Great visual learning tools.
Dirk
Livin salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
I have a 2017 Montana. The AC unit with the built in heat pump user instructions identify that the heat pump will only work if the outside temps are above 40. You should have the manual from your dealer that will explain this for you
2014 FORD 250 SUPERDUTY 6.7L 4X4 PLATINUM
Jon Susn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
The Keystone manual that came with our unit is one notch above worthless. All it says about the A/C operations is to refer to the Dometic manual, which we don't have. I do appreciate everyone's help and looking at YouTube was a big help. The only question I still have is how to operate the heat pump without using the furnace. On the thermostat at the heat setting it says "furnace". No mention of the heat pump. Do I just set the temps at the A/C position to a higher number and the heat pump comes on automatically? Sorry to sound so stupid but this has me stumped.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #16
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
I have a setting on my thermostat that I can select “heat pump” among other choices to include furnace and AC. The unit in the bedroom does not have a heat pump option on the thermostat. My rig only has the heat pump on the rear unit. You should be able to select Heat Pump and set the temp. My rig only has a heat pump on the rear or living room unit. If you don’t have the Heat Pump option on your thermostat then that unit that the thermostat is tied to die not have a heat pump on it.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
Meant to say “does” instead of “die”. Sorry
Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
Hi Jon Susn. Thanks for the information. My thermostat doesn't say "heat pump". I was told my unit has a heat pump so now maybe I don't. I will look into this further to determine exactly what I do have. Again I appreciate everyone's response. MOC is a great source of information.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #19
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
You are correct Wyatt. This MOC forum is awesome. There are some real knowledgeable and experienced campers on this site. I know because they have helped me numerous times. Enjoy, stay safe, and Happy Camping.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #20
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
I see back in Nov you posted about installing a new dometic thermostat. Are you sure they sent the correct one. It’s possible you do have a heat pump on your unit but the new thermostat doesnt have that option.