Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Which option for better ride?

After pulling our trailer for a year now, I’ve decided to add some damping between my truck and trailer. I have a Montana 3121RL and a Ford F350 dually with the factory “puck” system.Here are my three options:
Option #1: Replace my existing pin box with a Flex-Air pin box or 5th Airborne air cushioned pin box.I’m guessing both will ride about the same.I have a B&W Companion hitch.
Option #2: Sale the B&W and go with the Reese Gooseball hitch.I like the idea of a clean bed, but I bought my truck strictly to pull the Montana, so a hitch would rarely need to be removed.I’m just now getting comfortable hitching up to the pin box, and going to a goose ball seems to be a little more difficult getting it lined up.Going this route eliminates some issues, but introduces others.Also, I do not have any other gooseneck trailers (one of the reasons folks go with this option).
Option #3: Sale the B&W and order a Trailer Saver BD5, or something similar.This option would probably result in the best ride, but how much better than the first two, I don’t know.Does the significantly higher cost result in a proportionally better ride?Also, the hitch is heavier than the B&W, and I’m not sure if it will fit under my BackFlip cover.
So, I’m hoping you guys and girls out there can share your experiences and thoughts. We have a 2500 mile trip coming up soon, and would like to have the new configuration in place by then.
One last question, are any of these vendors normally at the Fall Rally, with sale prices?
Thanks in advance

Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s hard for almost anyone to know since almost no one has had all the options listed on the same truck.
I would suspect all the options would be about the same since they are all air ride hitches. I have a trailair. It works great but probably not much different than the others. I would buy the one that is most convenient.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We switched to the Trailer saver BD3 hitch pulling our 2013 3402 Big sky. We also have the Mor Ryde is.We have a very smooth ride.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
It’s hard for almost anyone to know since almost no one has had all the options listed on the same truck.
I would suspect all the options would be about the same since they are all air ride hitches. I have a trailair. It works great but probably not much different than the others. I would buy the one that is most convenient.
Lynwood
I guess I didn't work my questions correctly. I wasn't expecting anyone to have experienced all three. I just wanted experiences with one of the three options just like you did.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Mark Stueck
Established Member

M.O.C. #18844
Send a message via AIM to Mark Stueck
I have a Trailer Saver for sale in Kissimmee Fl it rides smooth as you would expect. I now leave the RV on site and do not need the hitch. I also have a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali dually fully loaded with 4000 miles. The hitch is available anytime but I wont return to Fl. until late Sept. someone is available to show hitch (w/cover.) and it fits UNDER my bed cover with no problem. Truck will be avail in late Sept.
Thanks
Mark 314-757-0628
Mark Stueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24025
Air springs on your truck would be the first thing I would do and probably a less expensive option if you look for a deal. Until I put them on my truck I would have never believed it myself. Ram 3500 pulling 3730FL. It's not so much the connection as it is the ability of the truck to transfer that impact from the road. We go over bridge expansion joints now and literally catch each other smiling because it used to be plain violent. Hope this might help.
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Last year 1/2 way into a 7,000 mile trip our backs were "toast" because of all the chucking and bucking. Had a Reese 5th Airborn shipped to the Campground and installed it. Remainder of the trip was totally smooth...all of the chucking and bucking was gone.

Just finished 9,120 mile loop of America, I 80 east from Calif. to I 76 in Ohio to Hershey, PA. Then Philadelphia, down I 95 to St. Augustine, I 10 to LA, and I 5 to Sacramento. Some very bad roads and bridge transitions, didn't even know the trailer was there!

5th Airborne is great IMHO.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
After pulling our trailer for a year now, I’ve decided to add some damping between my truck and trailer. I have a Montana 3121RL and a Ford F350 dually with the factory “puck” system.Here are my three options:
Option #1: Replace my existing pin box with a Flex-Air pin box or 5th Airborne air cushioned pin box.I’m guessing both will ride about the same.I have a B&W Companion hitch.
Option #2: Sale the B&W and go with the Reese Gooseball hitch.I like the idea of a clean bed, but I bought my truck strictly to pull the Montana, so a hitch would rarely need to be removed.I’m just now getting comfortable hitching up to the pin box, and going to a goose ball seems to be a little more difficult getting it lined up.Going this route eliminates some issues, but introduces others.Also, I do not have any other gooseneck trailers (one of the reasons folks go with this option).
Option #3: Sale the B&W and order a Trailer Saver BD5, or something similar.This option would probably result in the best ride, but how much better than the first two, I don’t know.Does the significantly higher cost result in a proportionally better ride?Also, the hitch is heavier than the B&W, and I’m not sure if it will fit under my BackFlip cover.
So, I’m hoping you guys and girls out there can share your experiences and thoughts. We have a 2500 mile trip coming up soon, and would like to have the new configuration in place by then.
One last question, are any of these vendors normally at the Fall Rally, with sale prices?
Thanks in advance

I have a 3610 Legacy (40') and an F350 Crew Cab 6'8" bed. Like you also a B&W only a Companion. The trailer is fitted with a MorRyde isolating hitch. I can't imagine a smoother pulling setup, most of the time I can't even tell the trailer is back there. Is your B&W set for the most forward position?

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I have a 3610 Legacy (40') and an F350 Crew Cab 6'8" bed. Like you also a B&W only a Companion. The trailer is fitted with a MorRyde isolating hitch. I can't imagine a smoother pulling setup, most of the time I can't even tell the trailer is back there. Is your B&W set for the most forward position?

Mark

I have a 2008 3400 RL, which is 38', with the MorRyde pin box. Has always been pretty smooth , but since replacing the shear springs, had the wrong ones in there since day 1. I also can't imagine it being any smoother pulling setup.

Op, didn't mention whether he has the MorRyde pin box or not ,or I missed it.
Plus I tow with a short bed Ram 3500, with airbags. I tow with two different hitches, one is the rail mount Andersen on the picture frame adapter with the fifth wheel prep puck system. The other hitch is an 18K Reese Signature, also attached to the picture frame adapter , they both tow equally well .

Op, does not state exactly what the issue is, possibly as little as airbags or , the MorRyde pin box would fix whatever his issues are. Maybe tire inflation ,loading etc.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
We also pull a 3121RL. We have a Ram 3500 Dually LB with a B&W Companion hitch. On the truck we have airbags. The trailer's pin box is a Road Armor Trailair. With this setup I have NEVER had any chucking. As compared to other setups I have had in the past, this is by far the best configuration.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
We also pull a 3121RL. We have a Ram 3500 Dually LB with a B&W Companion hitch. On the truck we have airbags. The trailer's pin box is a Road Armor Trailair. With this setup I have NEVER had any chucking. As compared to other setups I have had in the past, this is by far the best configuration.
I am finding it surprising what it takes to smooth out some of these fifth wheels.
I am beginning to think the older MorRyde pin boxes, and LRE suspension, which I believe is no longer put in the newer Montana fifth wheels were superior to whatever is put in them now .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Gotta chime in here... yesterday had a Reese 20k Goose Box installed on Monty, to be towed by my "new to me" 2015 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab. This truck came with a B&W Turnover ball gooseneck hitch installed.
Since it's a short bed, I am using a B&W offset ball to move the attachment point back 4" and it seems to do the trick as far as clearances etc. Rated at 20k with 5k vertical load.
The ride is unbelievable to say the least! The Goose Box uses an airbag with dual shocks and is a work of art from an engineering standpoint. My truck also has the factory rear "air assist" feature with auto leveling and also contributes to the amazing ride.
My previous rig was an '06 Ram 2500 SRW Megacab with a Superglide hitch and the Montana factory installed MorRyde pinbox. I thought that towed pretty nicely...until now. Difference is night and day... and NOT having a massive hitch in the bed of the truck is fantastic! Two BIG thumbs up!!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #13
dadnjesse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17519
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
Gotta chime in here... yesterday had a Reese 20k Goose Box installed on Monty, to be towed by my "new to me" 2015 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab. This truck came with a B&W Turnover ball gooseneck hitch installed.
Since it's a short bed, I am using a B&W offset ball to move the attachment point back 4" and it seems to do the trick as far as clearances etc. Rated at 20k with 5k vertical load.
The ride is unbelievable to say the least! The Goose Box uses an airbag with dual shocks and is a work of art from an engineering standpoint. My truck also has the factory rear "air assist" feature with auto leveling and also contributes to the amazing ride.
My previous rig was an '06 Ram 2500 SRW Megacab with a Superglide hitch and the Montana factory installed MorRyde pinbox. I thought that towed pretty nicely...until now. Difference is night and day... and NOT having a massive hitch in the bed of the truck is fantastic! Two BIG thumbs up!!
I didn't know you could get a dual wheel truck with short bed
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
Mega Cabs were for quite a while only available with a short bed.

The air ride pin will smooth the shocks coming from or going to the trailer. But the 1st 2 hits come from the truck axles.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:54 PM   #15
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I didn't know you could get a dual wheel truck with short bed
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck with trailer side view.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	4015
Yep, been available for quite a while actually.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #16
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Mountaineer View Post
Mega Cabs were for quite a while only available with a short bed.

The air ride pin will smooth the shocks coming from or going to the trailer. But the 1st 2 hits come from the truck axles.
Yep! That's kinda how it works all right! Can't do a lot about that although it is certainly possible to modify the truck suspension to help somewhat.
I can tell you that the ride comfort with this truck and the Goose Box is significantly improved even though my last truck with custom suspension including air bags and the Pullrite Superglide hitch and MorRyde pinbox was pretty decent.
I attribute some of the improvement to the rear suspension on this dually (factory air auto leveling). Worked great, both truck and trailer sitting perfectly level, excellent ride while towing.
Looking forward to having an empty bed when not towing (well, except for my fuel tank/tool box combo)!

To the OP...ya, it will take a bit of getting used to hitching up, but just a matter of using my bed camera (mounted with the high mounted brake light/bed lights.) Great view of the ball and hitch, just gotta figure out the distance of ball to socket viewing through the camera. No big deal...still totally worth it IMO!
Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #17
purpletractor
Established Member

M.O.C. #20944
I have a Comfort Ride Hitch on my HDT, it's amazing. Forgot my coffee cup on the island one day, 400 miles later my cup was still mostly full.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:15 AM   #18
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi

we are also very very happy with our setup.
We have a RAM 3500 Mega SRW, B&W Companion on turnover ball and MorRyde pin box.
The RAM has Firestone Airbags.

Love it. We tow also long distance like 700-900 mls p day. We never feel stressed and always say that this is more comfy than a Cadillac.

Mike.

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Baldicon, what pin box do you have now?
I noticed some newer Montana’s didn’t have the MorRyde like mine.
We have not experienced any issues. That might be where you should start.
Good luck hope to meet you at the rally.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #20
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
Look at Comfort Ride hitch they use load cells that you can change to get the ride where you like it and it will fit the puck system.