Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Does everyone use a water regulator?

Just curious - in our 30 some years of rv'ing, we've always used one of those screw-on in-line water regulators, set for about 30-35 lbs or so. But when the DW and I were wandering around 7 Feathers at the recent rally I started looking closer at other individuals set-up and don't remember seeing any regulators being used. Did I miss something? Is there something better out on the market? Or is the plumbing in the Monty capable of handling normal water pressure without the need for a regulator. I scanned back through the Montana info, but didn't see anything. Thanks for any info!

Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I don’t add anything like that myself. I’m not sure if there is any built in either but I don’t think so. I’ve only had 1 or 2 occasions where I thought I needed a regulator. Most of the time I’ve always noticed the water pressure being too little, if anything.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have one of the super duper water regulators, akin to what Glenn (of Glenn and Lorraine) has. The brass ones were failing, so for a few more $$ we went to the king of water regulators.

Purchased parts at Lowes.

I looked for a show and tell page and could not find one, and I have not done one, sooooooo, Glenn, do you have a show and tell page on this???

Actually, IIRC, Glenn has 2 regulators, we only have 1.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
i use it now and then sometime if the pressure is to high but i have found if the pressure is low it make u have even lower pressure..........Allen
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have one and use it, most water pressures are at the low end and I doubt that they would ever get to that danger level but for the cost of the requlator I feel it worth it to us and our rig. City/ Municpal pressures can get as high as 60 to 65 psi which should not be a danger to any of the plumbing systems of an RV.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
I recently discovered, here in Canada, that the park water w/o a regulator exacerbated my leakage on the demand side of my demand pump, causing me to tear into the basement and repair same. I also discovered, when my black water tank wouldn't drain due to insufficient water addage....that I needed the increased pressure on the flush receptacle to dislodge the blockage. So, it's a double edged sword.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We check the water pressure first then if it is high we insert the regulator. We had to insert the regulator several times. Low water pressure has been more common.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I always use a pressure regulator like one of these:
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm

I think mine is like the $59.95 one in the list. I have used it for years without any problem. I think I paid about $50 for it at the time in Yuma at the flea market. Usually I have it set at about 55 to 60lbs. That is where I like it. I have run into campgrounds with water pressure over 100lbs. You just set one of these regulators and you are good for up to what ever you set them at.

I also just screw the regulator into the city inlet and run the hose to it or through a home filter with a carbon filter. It depends on the water conditions at the campground. The filter can be hung under the utility bay with hoses and cables through that hole in the bottom. The hole also serves as a good storage for the filter case when in transit.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
We only use a regulator if needed.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We always use one, we learned the hard way.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We found the preset, screw-on regulators unsatisfactory. So I now use a Watts variable regulator. I put it in line right after the sediment filter. CG source> short hose> sediment filter> Watts regulator> hose> convenience center connection. All with quick connect hose fittings.

No doubt there are better arrangements, but this is working well with no leaks. The pressure is set for 60 psi, but rarely do I get that.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Water Regulators are just one of those things you do without until something blows up. It's up there with not having auto insurance, RV warranties, voltage regulators, locks, house insurance, tire irons, battery cables, and so on. You don't pay the money now, but will pay more money later. Deciding which safeguard is always the gamble, but the day you needed it, you feel like the smartest person in the world.

I have never had a water problem due to water pressure, but never expect to, as long as the water regulator is there. Yes, I have replaced one because it stopped working (no water pressure), but replacing a water regulator (even with a fancy one) is cheaper than the problem it protects. A small price to pay for piece of mind, I think. But this is still one of those owner preferences.

I have made mine part of a manifold I put together. First, at the city supply faucet is the water regulator, then a water pressure gauge (so I know that the regulator is working), then a 2-way splitter, then anti-siphons on the ends. I put this on and take it off as one piece. One of the outlets is for fresh water and the other outlet goes to the backflush.

In the past seven years I have replaced the water regulator once, the splitter once, but the plastic anti-siphons crack all the time. One of these days I will find metal ones.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've always used one, an adjustable one set for 65 psi. Reason? I witnessed the damage high pressure did to a pull TT. Most of the newer RVs are tested at the factory for 120 - 140 psi, So you can get by without one --- if you want to risk it. For me, the insurance of the regulator is well worth the money. I have my regulator at the output of my dual filter setup, just before the city water input. Reason? Ken Dahl of RV Water Filter Store recommended it. He said that the filter canisters and hoses will readily handle higher pressures.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi Orv,

I've never used the filter before the regulator. Does it actually help or is this a preference thing? What kind of water filter do you use? Sounds like you have a pretty substantial dual filter system. Does it matter where it's positioned? Would a single stage or inline water filter do okay on the other side of the regulator?

Is your adjustable water regulator the same as the fancy ones mentioned in prior posts?

I currently run the water line all the way to the rig, then plug into the canister water filter I mounted on the side of the 5er right next to the water inlet. Nothing fancy, but at least it's something.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
At Seven Feathers the whole park was pressure regulated. In most parks are line pressure so we use a regulator.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I always use a regulator with a 4 way splitter made of brass picked up a Lowe's. The regulator is set for 40 pounds. At many a CG I have hooked up to see 30 pounds, but later in the evening it is at 40. One thing about a regulator set at 40 pounds, if the pressure is lower it reads the pressure. If it goes above 40 it reads 40 and maintains that pressure. So when we got to a CG and they are watering the herd, or whatever, and stop and the pressure goes up, what does it go up to. On that 4 way splitter I place a separate gauge that lets me know what the pipe pressure output is.

As stated, it's an insurance policy that I prefer not to be without. And if I was real smart I'd remember to turn the water off when I leave the CG for a touring day - but I forget most times.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Stiles, I've got the same setup as you, works great, and like most, usually never gets to 65 psi. Was at a CG once that had 120 psi. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #18
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

We found the preset, screw-on regulators unsatisfactory. So I now use a Watts variable regulator. I put it in line right after the sediment filter. CG source> short hose> sediment filter> Watts regulator> hose> convenience center connection. All with quick connect hose fittings.

No doubt there are better arrangements, but this is working well with no leaks. The pressure is set for 60 psi, but rarely do I get that.
Does that mean that you use a splitter off the campground water for your black water flush? And, if so, does that mean you have unregulated water going into your black water flush?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:MAMalody Posted - Jul 03 2009 : 12:54:53 AM
Does that mean that you use a splitter off the campground water for your black water flush? And, if so, does that mean you have unregulated water going into your black water flush?
Yes Mike, that's what I do. I use a "Y" connector at the water source and another one prior to going into the filter. After the filter is the pressure regulator/gauge - that is adjusted to 50 PSI - to the City water in port. That way I know I have 50 PSI going directly into the 5er. I use the other side of the "Y" connector to run a hose to the black tank flush - at whatever the CG water pressure is. There should not be a problem because there is nothing from the Black tank flush port to the sprayer inside the tank that would build up pressure in the line that could damage the line. I've used the outside shower connection, but the pressure would be City water pressure of 50 PSI or whatever the water pump puts out. With the CG water pressure you have the most spray pressure you could have to rinse the black tank.

P.S. See ya in a week.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have one and it is one from Home Depot I thinks its a Watts, Lately I have been putting on my pressure gage on the hose bib to see what the pressure is, if it's at 40 or 50lbs. I dont ues the regulator. there will be some that disagree with this because the water pressure could rise in your absence or while you sleep, which could be a problem if a rupture in the line or connection happened, they are a press fit type conector which I still dont trust.
The biggest problem I had on my last trip was sand or calcium that brakes loose from the parks pipes and it goes into the in line filter or as what happened to me, it caused a restriction in the black tank flush/spray nozel in the black tank, I havent figured out how I will disolve these stones, maybe some acid in the line closest to the tank which will involve cutting the line and attaching a funnel and the a pour.
They say the regulator will only reduce the pressure if it exceeds the set amount, if it is below it will be at what the park provides, so it is a good insurance policy I guess.
But