Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #21
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B4 View Post
I used the coax that came with the unit only because it was rg6. Seems everything is working to spec
I’m glad you had better luck than I. When I saw the crummy quality of the coax I just opted for replacement. I can run 75 feet of coax and still have a good signal.

Mark

MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Did you fully trace out all the coax cables? I am curious whether you found splitters in the satellite coax cables. The older diagrams showed splitters in the cable/antenna coax lines, but none in the satellite lines. That is as it should be. Would certainly raise questions about them knowing what they are doing if they intentionally installed splitters in the satellite lines. I know some have found that their external coax connections were mislabeled which would explain there being splitters seemingly where they should not be.

My older Monte coax cables worked fine for my satellite. But being I had only one external coax input and had to manipulate an inside jumper coax between sat and cable, I added a new dedicated external coax input for sat and used a quad shielded RG6 in the process.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #23
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Yes I found three splitters in the satellite lines. The main one had both satellite and cable going in, and behind each wall plate satellite went into a splitter.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Congratulations on fixing your problem, feels great doesn't it.

I had the Dish traveler installed in the roof because I wanted to have their Hopper setup so I could copy shows while at work. My wife schedules my last appointment at 7PM as a result some nights I don't get back to the rig till 8:30 or 9PM. I tried to put the hopper in the salon and the joye in the bedroom. No joy with this setup and I thought I had a bad Hopper as did the Dish tech I had on the phone. They sent me a new hopper but again no joy.

Ok the fix. I remembered that when the tech installed the Dish system in our stick house he located the hopper in the master bedroom as that was where the RG6 cable came in straight form the Dish on the house.

On the rig the traveler on the roof is in the front of the rig and the RG6 cable runs directly into the bedroom then splits to the salon. The cable from the bedroom to the salon its RG Crap 💩 or whatever so the signal was for too degrated to travel to the hopper. Once I figured this out I moved the Hopper to the bedroom so that it had a direct RG6 cable from the travler to the hopper. As for the Joye it is quite happy with RG crap cable so it is now in the salon. Called Dish and they started the system up and all is good. My happy meter is pegged.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #25
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I have the same issue with factory SAT connections not working. So I cut the SAT line under the main slide - 3 feet from the TV and I connect to the dish right there. Works great. When I fine the time, I will run new coax from the convenience center to the TV.

I am curious if the coax run to the bedroom is spliced somewhere. Anyone have any idea?
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
I have the same issue with factory SAT connections not working. So I cut the SAT line under the main slide - 3 feet from the TV and I connect to the dish right there. Works great. When I fine the time, I will run new coax from the convenience center to the TV.

I am curious if the coax run to the bedroom is spliced somewhere. Anyone have any idea?
I would look under the wall plate.
Mark B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #27
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Thanks Mark B4

That plate is a mess because it is also the switch for the antenna booster, but I will be lookin!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #28
Mark B4
Established Member

M.O.C. #20140
What I did was remove the splitter and put a barrel connector in its place. With that being said, I no longer have the ability to run cable/antenna to both those tv's unless I get back into the belly of the beast. But I don't see me needing cable.
Mark B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #29
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don’t know how the newer ones are wired. But if you have the time and inclination to rewire it like the older diagram then you can chose satellite, cable, and/or antenna any time you want. Staying somewhere several days we use satellite. But for an overnighter we typically use antenna or park cable to get latest news and weather. But we can also watch sat in the living room while we have cable or antenna in the bedroom.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote