Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #21
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Yes, on my unit the main service splitter is located screwed into ceiling in storage bay behind water, connections, dump valves,etc. I had to take two screws out of the thin dummy wrap around panel to get access to the area. I moved the splitter out of the cubby and screwed it to the ceiling of the main bay. Better access. Still no service to the main tv from the roof ant. Does anyone out there get tv reception from the roof ant/booster on the main tv?. Try scanning for channels. Bedroom and outside tv both get roof reception from roof mounted tv ant with booster swich button pushed/light on.

JohnandJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #22
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
It works on my bedroom and main TV. I have not tried the outside TV yet.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #23
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I have a tailgater with dish service. Tailgater partially worked when connected to living room connection in docking station - by “partially” I mean that I got a picture but could not initiate a scan. The black box (VP211z) sends/recieves signals and commands back and forth but only partial signals were getting thru. I got a few channels but it only recognized 1 out of 3 stats. The scan command would not initiate. The only reason it was able to do that is because I had it set up and scanned with coax thru the window before I tried the docking station connection. Basically it was unwatchable. I had to run direct coax thru window using a white flat coax piece ($11 from camping world). Now it works but DW does not like the black coax dangling from window to tv. Basically if there is a splitter between tailgater and black box the system will not work.

Service tech at my dealer tells me there should be a splitter above and behind the docking station. I plan to test one cable at a time to find the living room cable. I will probably use the park cable connection - not the tailgater - to see which cable connects to the tv. This will avoid the dish system trying to rescan each time it is connected or disconnected during the test. Once I locate the direct link to living room tv I will connect tailgater to that cable and see if it scans and functions correctly. I plan to work on it this weekend if it doesn’t rain. I will let you know how it comes out.
My satellite only recommends 50 ft. cable, I think. Wouldn't work thru the coach cable for satellite. I looked under my slide and it seems like the cable goes from the box up front all the way to the back of the Monty, into the back side of the slide and forward about 10 feet and up the wall in the slide about 4-5 feet. So just inside the trailer the cable is around 30 feet long. I didn't look but assume there is also a splitter like others have posted, that reduces the workable length even farther.
I just put a thru the wall jack right behind the tv and now I can use my 50 ft. cable. Works great.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #24
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
If you have two TVs then you have a splitter. It's just that simple.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
If you have two TVs then you have a splitter. It's just that simple.
The coax lines for cable and antenna will have splitters. But the coax lines for satellite should not have splitters. They should be routed directly to the inside connection point(s) for the sat receiver(s).

Don't know if there are any diagrams available for newer rigs, but here are some for older ones.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #26
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Anyone know where I can get a Keystone TV installation blueprint on the cable tv runs. I had a Fleetwood class A before this unit and we could get all of those from the manufacturer. The prints take all the guessing out of the repair. Keystone customer service should have a resource.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #27
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Roof antenna with booster problems

No channels are being sent to the main tv in living room from the roof antenna. 2018, Montana 3810MS. I get channels on bedroom and outside wall mounted tvs from the roof ant. Living room tv says no channels available after a channnel scan on settings. ????????
Old 02-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #28
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandJoyce View Post
No channels are being sent to the main tv in living room from the roof antenna. 2018, Montana 3810MS. I get channels on bedroom and outside wall mounted tvs from the roof ant. Living room tv says no channels available after a channnel scan on settings. ????????
I had the same issue-- check your booster. Mine was located in the bedroom be hind the TV closest to antenna.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #29
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Yes i did. Pulled it all out and found most of the connections bad. Too long of leads, only turned onto one tread, not tight, plastic still on leads.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #30
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
But after cleaning everything up I still get NO reception on the living room TV....
Old 02-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #31
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My older Montana (2006) had a strange short cable 'loop' about a foot long. It went from one wall jack to another. I forget why tho!! Maybe yours is not attached or attached the wrong way???

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #32
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
Thank you, the blueprints show a loop but it is unclear. Still looking into this. Anyone else see anything that may help?
Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #33
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The older unts have that loop (jumper) between the two connectors on a dual wall plate. There is a single external coax connection. To use park cable you leave the jumper in place. To use a satellite system you must remove that jumper and connect a coax cable from one connector on that wall plate to the input connector on your sat box. I did that for a while before adding an additional external connector to a new inside wall plate for the satellite box so I would not have to mess with that jumper depending on which I wanted to use.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #34
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
My satellite only recommends 50 ft. cable, I think. Wouldn't work thru the coach cable for satellite. I looked under my slide and it seems like the cable goes from the box up front all the way to the back of the Monty, into the back side of the slide and forward about 10 feet and up the wall in the slide about 4-5 feet. So just inside the trailer the cable is around 30 feet long. I didn't look but assume there is also a splitter like others have posted, that reduces the workable length even farther.
I just put a thru the wall jack right behind the tv and now I can use my 50 ft. cable. Works great.
Actually the length of coax you can use is determined by which dish you use. I use a Dish Network 1000.2 with an Eastern Arc Hybrid LNB and several times have needed to use 110' of coax not including the run from the convenience center to the actual TV in the rear of our 41' Montana. As you said it's not likely this can be done with a closed dome dish of any kind.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #35
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandJoyce View Post
Have a new 3810 Montana, 2018, and can't get the living room tv to run off the roof ant. The bedroom and outside works well. The living room tv says NO channels avail after you run the channel scan. The Winegard power booster only has 2 outputs. Has anyone used a splitter on the outside tv to get service on the living room tv?
Our 2017 3661RL Montana has a splitter behind the front room tv. this splitter feeds cable tv and antenna tv to the living room tv and the outside "man cave" tv. Kind of strange your outside tv works but not your living room tv.
Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #36
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I have a tailgater with dish service. Tailgater partially worked when connected to living room connection in docking station - by “partially” I mean that I got a picture but could not initiate a scan. The black box (VP211z) sends/recieves signals and commands back and forth but only partial signals were getting thru. I got a few channels but it only recognized 1 out of 3 stats. The scan command would not initiate. The only reason it was able to do that is because I had it set up and scanned with coax thru the window before I tried the docking station connection. Basically it was unwatchable. I had to run direct coax thru window using a white flat coax piece ($11 from camping world). Now it works but DW does not like the black coax dangling from window to tv. Basically if there is a splitter between tailgater and black box the system will not work.

Service tech at my dealer tells me there should be a splitter above and behind the docking station. I plan to test one cable at a time to find the living room cable. I will probably use the park cable connection - not the tailgater - to see which cable connects to the tv. This will avoid the dish system trying to rescan each time it is connected or disconnected during the test. Once I locate the direct link to living room tv I will connect tailgater to that cable and see if it scans and functions correctly. I plan to work on it this weekend if it doesn’t rain. I will let you know how it comes out.
I just cut the end off of the crappy coax they installed, taped it to a new good quality one and fished it up into the ent center. Unless you have a rear ent. The coax comes out the bottom of the slide with the other wires.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote