Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Traveling Advice

Not sure where to post this (moderator-please move if appropriate). We are about to start taking longer and longer trips in our 2007 3400RL. So far the farthest we have traveled is about 200 miles.
1. We have always loaded the RV at home prior to a trip (I had a 50 amp plug installed in the front of my stick house just for this) with full electrical hookup. When we leave I turn on the propane tanks so that the fridge will continue to run. Is this habit unsafe?
2. How often do you check the lug nut torque on the RV wheels? Every day? After sitting for a certain number of days? I have been told by a trailer company that if a wheel is removed and properly torqued, then torqued again after about 50 miles, that it does not need to be torqued again unless you remove a wheel?
3. Another MOC'r has told me that he does not fasten down the dinette chairs in his unit nor the recliners when he travels. As I get older it is a pain to do that, but is it safe? Right now we always circle the dinette chairs around the table with the belts that came with the unit, and "belt down" the recliners.
4. I have carried a multi-tester in the past to check campground power before hooking up. I now have one of the good surge protectors that hooks in to the pedestal with my anaconda plugged in to it. Is the multi-tester now overkill?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote