Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Traveling Advice

Not sure where to post this (moderator-please move if appropriate). We are about to start taking longer and longer trips in our 2007 3400RL. So far the farthest we have traveled is about 200 miles.
1. We have always loaded the RV at home prior to a trip (I had a 50 amp plug installed in the front of my stick house just for this) with full electrical hookup. When we leave I turn on the propane tanks so that the fridge will continue to run. Is this habit unsafe?
2. How often do you check the lug nut torque on the RV wheels? Every day? After sitting for a certain number of days? I have been told by a trailer company that if a wheel is removed and properly torqued, then torqued again after about 50 miles, that it does not need to be torqued again unless you remove a wheel?
3. Another MOC'r has told me that he does not fasten down the dinette chairs in his unit nor the recliners when he travels. As I get older it is a pain to do that, but is it safe? Right now we always circle the dinette chairs around the table with the belts that came with the unit, and "belt down" the recliners.
4. I have carried a multi-tester in the past to check campground power before hooking up. I now have one of the good surge protectors that hooks in to the pedestal with my anaconda plugged in to it. Is the multi-tester now overkill?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
As long as you know your fridge is working on propane, there is no issue using it when driving. That one of the real advantages of an RV fridge.

New wheels should be torqued a couple of time when first put on, after that every 3-4000 miles is good.

As far as your chairs go it would be technically safe to drive with them not tied down but unless you know that it will be a very smooth trip I would tie them down to prevent possible damage.

As long as your surge protector is an EMS and not just a surge protector the multi-tester is probably not needed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
As long as you know your fridge is working on propane, there is no issue using it when driving. That one of the real advantages of an RV fridge.

New wheels should be torqued a couple of time when first put on, after that every 3-4000 miles is good.

As far as your chairs go it would be technically safe to drive with them not tied down but unless you know that it will be a very smooth trip I would tie them down to prevent possible damage.

As long as your surge protector is an EMS and not just a surge protector the multi-tester is probably not needed.
We have been full timing for 7 years and I agree with all of the above replies. We never tie any of the chairs down and they stay in place.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since our fridge has always been in a slide we never travel with the frig on. On the older rigs the propane enters the slide in a rubber hose that is near the tires. When our Goodyear 614 blew it took out the kitchen loom holding the utilities and the propane hose. Not a problem since the propane was off. The new rig has that hose as far as possible from the tires, but since the frig stayed cold, while traveling, even in AZ summer temps we never had a temp issue so why risk it now.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Question
1 no, most people travel with the frige on.
2 never I don't check the lug nuts on my truck either.
3 I've never fastened any chair down and never had one move. I've unloaded the cabinets and had my head hit the top of my truck over a bump.
4 I have a multi tester. As someone said you do need one of the EMS.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Question
1 no, most people travel with the frige on.
2 never I don't check the lug nuts on my truck either.
3 I've never fastened any chair down and never had one move. I've unloaded the cabinets and had my head hit the top of my truck over a bump.
4 I have a multi tester. As someone said you do need one of the EMS.
Lynwood
Thank you, I never understood this idea that you have to check the lug nuts.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
JJ,
I travel with the propane on, Frig is then On using propane. 11 years of travel no problems.
Lug Nuts. If a tire has been removed, then I follow a 3 stop process, 10-20 miles for 1st stop to check torque, 30 miles or so for 2nd stop, then 50 to 60 miles for last stop. What have I experienced--at first stop you will get a little movement on a few lug nuts, 2nd stop--not much tightening on any lug nut, 3rd stop virtually no tightening--all are seated. Also I have never lost a wheel!
We don't tie down chairs.
I use a surge protector that checks the pedestal power. Works everytime.
Note, even with a tire monitor, I check the tire pressure about every 2 weeks and especially if we have been in one place for several weeks. I carry my own compressor and it is powered by AC from park.
Travel safely.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
All good suggestions from above. I would however invest in a great air compressor. I had a cheaper one but it was junk. Took to long and with truck tires at 80# the compressor wouldn't even get there. I have gone on 2 trips across the USA and towed 22,000 miles without any issues following suggestions from people here. Safe travels.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
In my post, it may not be clear that I was discussing the lug nuts on the Montana and not on my Tow Vehicle. With Aluminum rims as are on my Montana, the lug nuts do not seat until you have driven and tightened the lug nuts to the specified torque--120 ft-lbs for my Montana as shown in my previous post. Someone with steel rims on their Monty will have to comment on their practice
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
One item not mentioned wrt checking the lug nuts is you should also periodically check the torque on your 5th wheel hitch in your truck and on the trailer. Depending on your usage and road quality, just add checking them all to a periodic maintenance routine (monthly or so) where you check the torque, air pressures, check the screws on the fender skirts (they like to disappear), various screws on the doors/hatches, and checking HW inside the trailer too.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Don't forget about the U\bolts, leaf springs & shackles a neither problem area with any
Trailer.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:39 AM   #12
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Good advice BuilderBob, I checked the U bolts before my first pull last weekend. 2 were so loose I stopped and reset my torque wrench to 50 F/P and found 4 that were under that. They are all now at 80 F/P All lugs were good at 120.
Makes you wonder how it made it to the dealer here in Missouri.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The reason the lug nuts should be checked periodically is, the tires and wheels experience side stresses that the wheels on the tow vehicle do not see. This side stress when making any turns is what flexes the wheels and in doing so, tends to loosen, very slightly, the lug nuts because aluminum is softer than steel, and this can cause the lug nuts to be a bit looser. It's just another thing that you should check once in a while. You definitely need to be able to check the torque several times after removing and reinstalling a wheel. If lug nuts do become loose, it can cause the lug bolts to break and the wheels to be damaged, and in a worse case, the wheel to depart from the trailer while rolling down the road.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Not to hijack the thread, but I do tighten my lug nuts with a torque wrench. However, I have always wondered how they work and if I am using it right.
When I use the wrench, and say the setting is 100. When the nut reaches that setting does the wrench 'slip' or turn when you try to tighten some more. I never really notice anything different as I tighten the nuts.
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The wrench should give an audible click when you reach the torque setting. When mounting the wheel first tighten all the nuts below the torque setting and then come back and re tighten each to the torque setting in a crisscross pattern (don't tighten them sequentially right next to each other). Some lower end torque wrenches use a needle on a plate vice clicking.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
And once the wrench clicks off, stop... you are done!!! hold the handle, don't place your other hand on the "bar", pull slowly and steadily until the wrench clicks off........
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #17
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
Item 1, pay attention to where you stop or pull out/over. Make sure you are not at an angle greater than specified for proper operations of the fridge.

Pulling up to a gas pump with a flame is a game of Russian roulette.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote