Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Slide out stops then will move again

2019 331RL HC. When we put the kitchen slide out, sometimes it will stop halfway and not move. I can wait a few minutes then it will move again either in or out. Happened three or four times. Any ideas? Slide motor?

Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
And does it do this when plugged into shore power?
Old 09-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
in command screen?

I have the in-command system on my unit and the living room (hydraulic) slides "button" is on the touch screen. I have to pay close attention to how I touch the "button". For example, if I look away and my finger shifts slightly (off the button I suppose) - all movement stops until I get my finger tip back on the screen button just right. It is somewhat aggravating, but I have learned to focus on my finger while operating the slides. Same thing goes for the bedroom slide (electric schwintek slide)...if my finger moves off the spot a tiny bit - it stops until I get positioned just right.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
It's your thermal reset breaker out by your batteries. Many have had the issue most have replaced.

Mark
Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
CrazyJohn

M.O.C. #24998
I would think it should be something covered by your warranty. I'd take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it.
CrazyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
It's your thermal reset breaker out by your batteries. Many have had the issue most have replaced.

Mark
Mark I believe he has the electric cable slides. The thermal breaker is on hydraulic driven slides.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The electric motors have to be protected by some kind of breaker or relay though. I would bet they're as undersized as our CB.

Mark
Old 09-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Yes. Battery or shore power. Still does it sometimes
Old 09-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
Our 340bh does it sometimes on the living/dining room slide. It is some type of circuit protection. I wait 30 seconds and it completes the move. Usually on open not close

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
kench
Established Member

M.O.C. #18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
2019 331RL HC. When we put the kitchen slide out, sometimes it will stop halfway and not move. I can wait a few minutes then it will move again either in or out. Happened three or four times. Any ideas? Slide motor?
Hi Had an older Fleetwood and did similar. Check your hydraulic fluid level. Don't top it up yet. Try using slide out and when it stops add a bit of fluid try running it out again and if stops add more fluid. Keep doing it till all the way out. Sometimes they seem to get air locked Good Luck
Ken
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
RVRoadrambler

M.O.C. #24372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
Dhuhn mentioned that your rig may have electric slides rather than hydraulic so this may not be helpful, but we were having the same issue and found that the thermal auto-reset breakers were the culprit. There were two 50A breakers and we changed out the one feeding the hydraulic pump with an 80A auto-rest thermal breaker and have no had an issue since. We decided to do a video for it on YouTube here, if you're interested:

Hope that helps
RVRoadrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Slide out stops

If your slides are hydraulic I wouldn't add any fluid until all the slides are in which will give you a true look at fluid levels. Your tank will always show less fluid when the slides are out due to the fluid being in the lines, adding it prior to pulling them all in could cause you to blow a line because of over fill in the tank which gives the fluid in the lines no where to go.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
philiprmcgovern
Established Member

M.O.C. #17498
Hi, Vet: We had huge problems with all 3 slides on our HC costing thousands of dollars to repair. IMHO, the so-called “cables”, pulleys, motors and gearboxes are just too light and flimsy to last, considering how heavy those slide rooms are. Also, we discovered the hard way that our kitchen slide room failed because it had NO Teflon rollers under it. If you plan to be off the beaten path at all, I would strongly urge you to invest in a couple of cable kits, a motor and a gearbox for when - not if - you will need them. Anyhow, best wishes and I hope none of our slideout adventures apply to you. Phil
philiprmcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
JOSEPHSTILESCCS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20954
Being a High country it is most definitely Cable slides. The motors have a thermal overload that opens if they get overloaded or Hot. I had this issue. The first thing I did was make sure all the cables were properly lubricated. I then bought a can of wd-40 dry lube and sprayed down all of the rubber seals. This seemed to of really helped the issue. Don't overload your cable slides. Store heavy items in other areas. The units are weak and can hardly handle the weight of just the slide. I have the most problem with my kitchen Slide. Fully Loaded fridge and she stops every time. I sometimes get out and give it a good push and press the button again and she slides in. Take it in and have them adjusted annually. They are cables and they stretch over time requiring adjustment.
JOSEPHSTILESCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
Take a look at what this guy did.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #16
captjac39
Established Member

M.O.C. #21192
I was told that there is an internal counter in the unit so it may have to be reset some how. I was told never stop it on the way out or in and you may have to run it all the way in or out a few times to reset it.
captjac39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #17
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
My 2012 Montana was "pausing" when we operated the hydraulic system. It never did it when it was new, but after a few years we noticed a 3-5 second pause when retracting the 6 point Lippert Level Up system. Back then I thought it was a voltage issue with the old battery. Then last year it started doing it when retracting the 3 hydraulic slides, especially the big slide. My wife does the inside stuff and I do the outside stuff, and she thought it was caused by overheating and I thought she was pausing and checking for obstructions. I was doing some maintenance and retracted the slide when I was done and I experienced the pause, and finally realized that she was not pausing on purpose.

After doing research on the MOC I found lots of others had this same issue and they solved it by replacing a 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp. I thought this was a really bad idea because this line pulls some serious electrical current for the hydraulic power motor and one of the cardinal rules of electricity is that you don't replace a tripping fuse or breaker with a higher rated unit just because it is tripping. You have to figure out why it is tripping and stick to the same 50 amp rating, or else you will burn up the circuit and maybe cause a fire.

My attitude changed completely when I found out a year later that Lippert had put out a technical bulletin for this problem with this exact solution. You can get auto-resetting or manual resetting breakers, and the manual type are a little cheaper. I opted for the auto-resetting and I got it on Amazon. These auto-resetting breakers are widely used in the automotive, boating, and RV industry but I had no knowledge of them. I read somewhere that they can fail completely when they get old, and one sign that they are getting old is that they start to trip more frequently. I think this is what I was experiencing.

Find your hydraulic power motor and follow the power cord back to the breaker, and this is the breaker to replace. If you trace the lines further back from the breaker you will see that it is powered directly by the battery. Shut off shore and solar power and disconnect the battery. Take a picture of the old breaker with your phone before disconnecting. All you have to do is connect the new breaker with all the lines just like the old one and anchor the breaker to the wood bulkhead just like the old one. You may have to enlarge the cable connectors by drilling out the opening a little. Don't get too carried away tightening the connections and screws because some of the parts are plastic (breaker base) or wood (bulkhead wall).

The new breaker works great and there is no more pause. I wonder if anyone has had the old breaker fail completely due to age, but I haven't found anything on the MOC about this.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote