Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #21
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Virgil-
The ULSD is "ultra low sulphur diesel". From what I am hearing the further away from a refinery that is capable of producing ULSD the higher the pump price will be until more refiners come on line with processing units capable of 15PPM of sulfur and a better supply is available.

Below is a copied statement from another web site explaining the ULSD.

About Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel: Sulfur (Sulphur) in diesel fuel will be lowered to enable new pollution-control technology. The EPA requires a 97 percent reduction in the sulfur content of highway diesel fuel from 500 ppm to 15 ppm in 2007. ULSD fuel requirements started to take effect June 1, 2006 for fuel refiners and fuel importers, storage terminals on July 15, 2006 and for retail stations and wholesalers by September 1, 2006.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #22
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I just paid $2.75 a gallon in both Alabama and Mississippi this past weekend for diesel. I still think there is more to it.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #23
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
state and fed taxes. fed is same across nation but the states all have different rates. That is one of the reasons prices differ in different states.

ken

Ken and Barb. Ia.
2005 Montana 3475RL
2005 Silverardo 3500 CC SRW DMax LLY White
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Charlie, hope you don't mind another question. It is my understanding that when we go to ULSD that there will be a decrease in our mileage (heard that it may be as much as 2 mpg). Can there be that much energy lost by reducing sulfur from 500 to 15 PPM? Thanks for any enlightenment.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
One thing that I know is that the new exhaust systems have is a small extra fuel line leading back to a special combustion chamber where all remaining soot will be ignited and burned up. Not sure how much extra diesel this sytem will use for this, but I believe the auto mfrs are trying to keep this usage to a minimum... I think...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 AM   #26
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Bill-
I don't have any idea how the upcoming reduction of sulphur will affect fuel mileage. There many be little if any diffence in mileage.

Diesel has a rating number similar to gasoline's octane number and it is called cetane. The cetane is an average of all the components in diesel including sulphur. My understanding is the advantage for the sulphur is increased lubricity in the engine components.

Diesel fuel with a high cetane number starts to burn shortly after it is injected into the cylinder; it has a short ignition delay period. A fuel with a low cetane number resists auto-ignition and has a longer ignition delay period. Diesel engines run just fine with a CN between 45 to 50. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past 50; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau.

Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. Premium diesel has additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, and water dispersant's. These numbers are not shown on the pumps, however some pumps will be labeled as #1 diesel.

Theory would make one think that if a higher octane number makes a gasoline engine more powerful, then why not do the same to diesel. One way to boost the CN would be to add a gallon of gasoline to your tank. I don't recommend this, it will not make your engine fail or stop running, but as noted above with a CN number above 50 it does not improve performance.

I have bought at Wal-Mart a cetane booster. It does not say on the bottle what is in it but it does smell similar to toluene which has an octane rating of about 200. I could not see any improvement in power or mileage on my truck.

Hope this answers your question. When all is said and done, the refiners try to make the best available fuel to run in your vehicle, stay within the parameters of the requirements of the engine manufacturers and the federal government restrictions.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #27
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Had a discussion with Ford and Dodge dealers during a recent 'City Wide' auto sale event. Both said that the 'computers' will monitor how hard the engine has been worked (e.g. how hot the exhaust) and if the exhaust was sufficiently hot to burn off the trapped carbon then no raw fuel/burn event. If, however, we drive our trucks as our daily commuter vehicle, albeit, at highway speeds but not under heavy load, then we should expect fairly frequent burn events. When I pressed on how frequently, neither dealer could tell me as yet. Both dealers said their techs were to attend training in the next quearter (Oct/Nov time frames) and they would know more after that. As someone once said, newer is not always better

Ceara and Mia Osa

06 Dodge 3500 DRW; 06 Cedar Creek
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With the expected reduced lubricity, will I need an additive to maintain the engine safely? Or will the lubricity be maintained by other than sulfur?

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I saw a tech service bulletin somewhere about a month or so ago, Steve. They say no extra lubricity additives will be necessary. How would you ever know??? When your engine fails?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote