Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Who clear coated their cap?

The oxidation on the front and rear caps is getting bad enough to look at clear coat. For those who have done it, did they apply the clear coat over the existing decals or remove and replace them afterward? Mine are in great shape still. Thanks

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Yes we did apply clear coat on our last unit. Think it was called polyglo or poly seal. It did a nice job and would do it again. It’s a process you do once and then redo the next year to get better results. If your decals are in good shape put the seal over them to help protect them also.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
I know I had heard of people doing it, either on here or on the FB group. Thanks for the reply.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We use Sun City, AZ as our winter base now, and at Orangewood RV south of where we stay they have had flyers for a ceramic coating that can be applied to the front cap, and it is advertised as the best, and longest lasting coating, even can restore the shine to the caps. I sent a request and got an answer back today about the system. It is done by Bob Moses Ceramic Coating, bmceramiccoating.com. This is the response from the lady at Orangewood about this system:

I received your message that you send over inquiring about a product that we offer. The product is ceramic coating and Bob Moses Ceramic coating is the name of the company that applies this product. He usually does not want to apply this product on trailers or motorhomes that are over five years old. If your 5th wheel is faded I would need to see some pictures that I can let him look at and decide if it is something that he thinks can be restored with this product. You can do research on the product at facebook.com/bobmosesceramiccoating.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
If you want to protect your paint, I don't think you can go wrong with ceramic coatings. I am looking at https://ceramicpro.com/
Just requested a quote for my 381TH.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I was think about putting up a post about a ceramic coating I just put on my truck and the wife’s car and about 1/2 the Monty so far. First I have tried many coatings and yes ceramic is the best out there IMO. The one I just tried and I’m applying right now is from meguiars. The initial application is besically wash and rinse and spray on the ceramic coating, then wipe dry. Subsequent coats are applied by washing rinsing spraying on the application rinsing again and drying. I must say I really like it. The ease of use and the best part is the price point. 14$ I did my truck the wife’s car one side of the monty to include the back cap looks great easy to do on the road as I carry a pressure washer too.

Anyway I never recommend a product but this one is really good. For those of you in the coating trade as I was it “feels” thick I know that may seem weird to some. But at 14$ it’s worth a try !!

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We use Sun City, AZ as our winter base now, and at Orangewood RV south of where we stay they have had flyers for a ceramic coating that can be applied to the front cap, and it is advertised as the best, and longest lasting coating, even can restore the shine to the caps. I sent a request and got an answer back today about the system. It is done by Bob Moses Ceramic Coating, bmceramiccoating.com. This is the response from the lady at Orangewood about this system:

I received your message that you send over inquiring about a product that we offer. The product is ceramic coating and Bob Moses Ceramic coating is the name of the company that applies this product. He usually does not want to apply this product on trailers or motorhomes that are over five years old. If your 5th wheel is faded I would need to see some pictures that I can let him look at and decide if it is something that he thinks can be restored with this product. You can do research on the product at facebook.com/bobmosesceramiccoating.
I just looked at his site and decided to ask "How much for front cap". He said estimate about $1200. Takes 3 days. Mine is in good condition and would like to keep it that way. I may have tiny dings but hardly noticeable.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
I was think about putting up a post about a ceramic coating I just put on my truck and the wife’s car and about 1/2 the Monty so far. First I have tried many coatings and yes ceramic is the best out there IMO. The one I just tried and I’m applying right now is from meguiars. The initial application is besically wash and rinse and spray on the ceramic coating, then wipe dry. Subsequent coats are applied by washing rinsing spraying on the application rinsing again and drying. I must say I really like it. The ease of use and the best part is the price point. 14$ I did my truck the wife’s car one side of the monty to include the back cap looks great easy to do on the road as I carry a pressure washer too.

Anyway I never recommend a product but this one is really good. For those of you in the coating trade as I was it “feels” thick I know that may seem weird to some. But at 14$ it’s worth a try !!

Tony
Hey, $14 is more my speed! How does it spray on...from the bottle or do you mix and use pump up sprayer? I'll google it.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Just spray it on with the bottle. It’s like spraying on windex. Work it in with a microfiber and finish with a dry microfiber. I’m sold on it.

I’ve tried some of the more expensive ceramic coatings sure they worked but this one feels thicker and yeah the price point $14 is a no brainer !!
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 05-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Instead of spraying on a coating, I went to a local tinting company and had a heavy duty 3M film applied. It works well for rock chips too, not perfect but so much better than exposed. It’s been 5 years and looks great still. I think I paid just over $500 for the cap and lower generator area.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Took ours to a paint shop. Had it sanded, painted and clear coated....
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
dsquared007

M.O.C. #21995
No need for mine to be done yet, however some swear by LineX. It can be colored and a smoother finish unlike the textured box liner. Super tough.
dsquared007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Wet sand

Had mine wet sanded, polished and sealed.
Doesn’t look new but close.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
We have a 2008 3400RL and have found that a good coat of Zep Wet Look Floor Wax gives you as good a result as clear coat and it only costs about $25.00 a gallon. Just make sure that you scrub your caps well with something like soft scrub to remove the oxidation, we even use the Zep on the sidewalls.
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I used the ceramic coating but im also getting this https://buggbanner.com Spoke with the guy today also a USMC vet, he called me and is taking my order personally giving me 10% off for military. For those with the glass in front it will help but mostly for the bugs !! Machine washable. it will help protect the glass too, but not bulletproof !
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #16
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
I put on the Poly-Glo acrylic application last fall to the front & back caps. It comes with a cleaner and I applied 5 coatings on the front cap and 4 on the back cap. All in one day. Works just great and it looks like brand new. I applied it right over the decals, not problems. I'm curious about the talk about ceramic coatings?? I'm not aware of them...has anyone used Poly-Glo and the ceramic and can comment/compare on the two??
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
b.o.plenty
Established Member

M.O.C. #17854
I tried the Zep thing on my last RV. Looked great for about 7-8 months. Then it started to craze and peel. Awful to clean off. Keep in mind, most RV caps were never painted but use a colored gel coat. Anything you do other than a complete paint job is only going to be temporary. The only real cure is to strip the decals, sand and have it painted with a quality automotive base coat/clear coat paint job. Check out some truck/bus body shops. They will have a large enough paint booth. Cost should be in the $1500-2000 dollar range. I've had 2 of them painted.
b.o.plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #18
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will make an appointment at a local truck/RV repair facility for an estimate. I don't mind doing the work myself, but putting hours of work into it only to have to redo it year after year is not the best use of my time (and$). I'll keep this updated.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL