Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
2015 Chevy Silverado

I have been seriously looking at upgrading to a 2015 Silverado 3500 dually now that they are taking orders. My main hold up is Reese. I have a Reese Signature Series 18K hitch that I would like to transfer over to the new truck. I contacted Reese's headquarters to see if they knew whether the mounting rail system for the 2014 HD trucks would fit. Their answer: No, they didn't know and it would be September (give or take) before they had a rail kit out for it. OK, I can accept that, since it's a new truck. However I asked if I brought them the truck (they are only about 20 miles from me), if they could measure it and see. Their response: take it to a dealer and let them try it.

(Dragging out the soapbox here.) What the heck? A customer offers to work with you to help see if your product will fit and you turn them away? I was really taken aback by this. Here was a chance for them to see if new tooling or modifications would be needed for a large share of their market sales and they blew it off. The body style for the 2015 is different for the 2015, but I suspect the floor bed is a carry over part and I know the frame is. What the issue is, when the frame rails are mounted, you have to measure from the fenderwell in and the end edge of the bed to determine where to drill the four holes in the bed. If these dimensions have changed, you end up drilling holes in the wrong spot. This would have been an opportunity for Reese to do the measurements and know one way or the other if the measurements would carry over or not, and if not, what they should be. But no, they aren't interested. I like Reese products, but once again, their customer service has proven to be one of the worst around. (Soapbox removed.)

I know that Curt has a hitch out that they claim will fit, I just didn't want to buy (and learn) a whole new system.

I am trying the shotgun approach to this problem. I have just emailed a version of this post to every email contact I can find for Reese's parent company, Cequent Performance Products. I'll post back any responses I recieve.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Tom, I'm also ready to upgrade to a 2015 Chevy. As details slowly emerge about hitches, I'm wondering about my Pullrite superglide and what I will be dealing with. I don't want to change as I am very happy with what I have.

Maybe I can help with the Reese. Since I am still in Mexico, maybe I can go over to their new factory where they will soon be making their hitches, try my broken spanish, and hope someone understands or cares. Or never mind, since Reese doesn't care about American jobs, I think I won't care either. Maybe their boss at the holding company in New York City will get one of your e-mails!
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
This is why my new truck did NOT get a Reese.

My B&W is made in Humboldt, Kansas......

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
A simple solution. Install a B&W trailer hitch, that is a ball in the bed that has no rails and can be removed at any time just by grabbing it with one hand and pulling it out, the bed is then smooth. You then purchase the B&W Companipn 5th wheel hitch that just fits on the ball in the bed. The B&W Companion hitch can be used forever in any year, model or make of truck you ever own.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

A simple solution. Install a B&W trailer hitch, that is a ball in the bed that has no rails and can be removed at any time just by grabbing it with one hand and pulling it out, the bed is then smooth. You then purchase the B&W Companipn 5th wheel hitch that just fits on the ball in the bed. The B&W Companion hitch can be used forever in any year, model or make of truck you ever own.

Frank
So can my Reese, provided (like B&W) the company makes the rails for it. The Reese rails sell for $530. Do you think I can get a complete B&W for that?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good luck Tom. This sounds like another case of corporate stupidity. Get a chance to have a leg up and turn it down.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
In the grand scheme of things a hitch is a very small part of the whole picture...or cost.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I went through the same problem when I bought my new 2013 Ram 3500. The truck came out with a new mounting system in April and it was September before the mounting kit was available. The new mounting kit is great, but there shouldn't have been that kind of delay. This appears to be a case where the truck manufacturers are not keeping the hitch companies involved. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I think the ball got dropped by all of them, Chevy, Dodge and the hitch companies. One would think when you are designing a brand new truck and you know it is gonna be different then the previous ones that it would be a matter of telling a secretary to call or mail the specs to all hitch companies so they can get started designing a new mount so it will be ready for the trucks release date?????? Pretty simple and just common sense, but bad customer relations for both when a new truck is out and there is no way to use it..
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Shotgun approach yielded results. Tech support sent me the names of two people and suggested I contact them when I get the new truck. They will hook me up with engineering.