Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Black tank and Gray tank Handles hard to pull

The T-handles for black and gray tank located in the utility center are very hard to pull open and close. Anybody had this problem and if so how did you fix the problem? I think oiling them would help but don't want to take the underbelly material off to get to them. I tried some oil at the T-handles but didn't get any relief.

Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bruce-- got to take it South to warmer weather to get it to work easier!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just a thought to try, open and close it about 20-30 times, might work it loose, about all you can do from the outside.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Bruce, If they have been hard to open since you have owned the unit, the next time that you open the valves, look closely at the exposed aluminum rods. Check for scarring on the rods. They may not be aligned. You may need to remove them, drill new holes, or larger holes.
My valves were easy to open, but after having the grey tank replaced,both were hard to open. They were not properly aligned. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Those push/pull handles connect to long sheathed cable behind the panel that bend in an arch toward the holding tanks. Similar to break cables on a bicycle but much heavier. My understanding is that there is a lube inside to help the cable slide but as Rondo mentioned, they would work better in warmer conditions. The lube will firm up as it gets colder outside and trying to slide a heavy cable around the bend becomes more difficult.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bruce Lenhardt

The T-handles for black and gray tank located in the utility center are very hard to pull open and close. Anybody had this problem and if so how did you fix the problem? I think oiling them would help but don't want to take the underbelly material off to get to them. I tried some oil at the T-handles but didn't get any relief.
Part of the problem occurs with build-up inside the septic tanks at the valve. I use a valve lubricant put out by Thetford in all three septic tanks occasionally. This has eased up the valves such that they operate smoothly and easily. I learned about this several years ago when talking to one of the techs at my dealer's place of business.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am thinking that since you probably don't use it often, that small amounts of corrosion collect on the aluminum handle shaft. Working the handles as Ozz suggested is about it unless you want to get into the belly. If the valves themselves are sticky, then that lube suggested by Orv might work. Mechanic that you are, you know to go from simple and cheap to hard and not so cheap to solve the problem.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Years ago when I messed around with cars and drag racing, I seem to remember something that could be attached onto a cable (for cars it was the parking brake cable) to let you force a spray lube into the cable from an open end. Don't have any idea if such a thing really existed or if it might still be avail. An old time auto mechanic might remember better than I. Just a thought
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
WD on the exposed shaft loosened mine up a bit.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Mine are very hard to pull out also, but once they start to move (Break loose?) they are fine. If I continue to move them in and out they are fine. I'm going to try the Thetford valve lubricant suggested by Orv.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

Mine are very hard to pull out also, but once they start to move (Break loose?) they are fine. If I continue to move them in and out they are fine. I'm going to try the Thetford valve lubricant suggested by Orv.
I don't know how that stuff works but it does. For some reason or other when you dump and then recharge the septic tank, putting the valve lubricant in also, the lubricant finds its way to the valve. Good stuff! I don't put it in according to directions once I've gotten the valve working free. I now just occasionally put in 1/4 cup.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mine has the shaft that goes in though the frame and when they got hard to open I sprayed w-40 in the hole on the shaft while opening and closing the valve about half doz times works great Now. I don't have any with cables. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Thanks for your replys. I have tried some WD40 but it didn't help much. They are hard to pull out all the way and also hard to push in. I will look into some of the valve lube. May have to take the cables loose so I can pour some oil into them. The outside temp does not seem to be a factor. They are difficult in warm temps also.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bruce Lenhardt

Thanks for your replys. I have tried some WD40 but it didn't help much. They are hard to pull out all the way and also hard to push in. I will look into some of the valve lube. May have to take the cables loose so I can pour some oil into them. The outside temp does not seem to be a factor. They are difficult in warm temps also.
Bruce. Thanks for the followup. We've only had our Montana for a year and I had accepted the cable as being the problem more so in colder temperatures. Based on what you're saying, I'll try the valve lubricant as well. Thanks again to Orv.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #15
Shaner

M.O.C. #29765
Help - Black Tank valve question

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, with a lot of RV experience. But never had a problem with my tank valves. Is there a way to manually open the black tank valve once the underbody cover is dropped. The black valve has always been hard to pull open, but now it will not open the tank to flush the black water. I need to get it emptied to service it.

Help! We live in our RV and it's just impossible to take it to the dealer to service it.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lenhardt View Post
First and easiest fix is to pull them out and apply a little lube (I use white grease) to the shaft you exposed. These things get water dripped on them and tend to bind up. If that does not help, you can go in further.

I eventually replaced mine with Valterra valves, but, honestly, the new ones feel about the same as OEM. Some say they got stranded cables from the factory and that is the problem, but my factory cables were solid just like the Valterra replacements.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Shaker, welcome to the forum. You latched onto a ten year old post. If you drop the coroplast (plastic covering) you can get to the valves. First, you could try getting some WD40 into the sheath. If that doesn’t work, you may be able to work the blade (valve is like a guillotine) loose after removing the cable end from the valve. The valves that come on it are a braided cable and prone to seizing. Many of us have replaced with Valterra solid wire cables. In fact, two of us had our dealer replace prior to taking delivery. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #18
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
My problem was when manufactured the bend in the cable was too sharp. Dropped the black plastic that covers the bottom and rerouted the cable. Works very well now.
TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #19
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Instead of WD-40, I used a product called SeaFoam Deep Creep. It is a penetrant, not just water displacer like WD. Given a little time and patience, you can spray it in the handle end and slowly work it in and out to get the penetrant through the sheath of the cable.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote