Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
2016 Montana High Country 305rl?

Hello all, Looking for any information on the 2016 Montana High Country, Specifically the 305RL. I am going to sign and take delivery on Sunday of next week. I have everything in flight and am just now getting around to asking if anyone owns one of these and if they are happy? The wife and I are ending 7 years in a north trail 28bh 5w. Loved the camper but my Teenage son no longer needs a separate room so we are buying for us. We fell in love with the floor plan and everything else just did not stand up to the fit and finish. I will be towing with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD Gaser. This puts me approximately 4K under my max 5w tow weight dry so I am also curious if anyone is towing with this truck. My current 5w is about 10500 loaded. So I am expecting to be around 12500-13K or so loaded. So please let me know what you think.

stevedjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
That rig is far to heavy for a gas truck. Ok on the flat maybe ok but you will be a traveling road block on a hill. You need at lease a 250/2500 diesel. JMHO
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Can't help you on your rig choice, but we've full timed for 5 years in ours and love it. Obviously, I prefer a diesel truck, but if you stay out of the mountains you should be ok.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on the new rig. Have not owned a high country. Take your time on the PDI. From your numbers, sounds like you will be close to the max on the truck, I would double check the pin weight. I see gassers pulling rigs heavier than yours. That engine will be working hard on the inclines.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I have 2015 305rl and tow it with 2011 f350 gas. it tows it well. In fact I am going to order a new 2017 gas Ford F-350 when I can. I'm happy with this setup.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Welcome, the guys her have a ton of valuable information to share.
As mentioned earlier, have the dealer connect the rig and do a detailed inspection of the rig. Don't be ashamed to nit pick either. If something isn't to your specs have them make it right before you close the deal.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I came close to buying a 305 I really liked the floor plans. I bought a 323 HC used. I'm a tight wad. A gas truck will pull a 305 no doubt. It just depends on how fast and how far you are going to go. If you go west the roads can reach high elevations. I80 at Laramie WY is 8800 feet. You loose 3.6 percent of your power for every 1000 feet that's 31 percent. That is still doable but just not very fast. I know I did it and when I got home I bought my first Diesel.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
stevedjarrell...you asked so here you are. The 305Rl has a GW of 14,270, my guess is you'll be close to that when camping, most of us are. Since your truck is a gasser, you might get by with a pin weight of 20% of the GW...around 2,800 and still be within limits. Without the diesel engine you'll be lighter and have more cargo capacity than the diesel. FWIW, a 2500 diesel only had around 2,400# of cargo capacity...that's everything you put in your truck. However your tow rating will be well below the diesel's. What is your GCWR? My guess is you'll be well over that number when truck and RV are loaded to travel. Check out the forum, most of us are using diesel duallys.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
Thank you for the Welcome and the information. I am definitely closer to my max with this trailer than I would prefer. I just paid off the truck so I have no wish to get another payment anytime soon. I was not aware of the amount of loss of Power at altitude, I knew it decreased with the density of the air but had no Idea it was so much. We typically stay on the east coast, the highest I have pulled was 5000' in North Carolina, but that was when I had my F250 Diesel and was the only time. So for quality of finish for Montana's, and Keystone as a whole are you all happy? I read mixed reviews but When I walked thru and took a quick look at my Future Rig it all looked very well made.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A Diesel doesn't start to loose power until bout 12000 feet. I have been very satisfied with my HC quality but I have learned campers are built as cheap as they can be made to look good. With that said I have had no trouble with my camper. Some people here can not make that statement. Our Montanas are built no better or worse than any other camper. I have friends who have a SOB some other brand much more expensive than the Montanas. Given a choice I would just as soon have a Montana even if the price was the same.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Check out the forum, most of us are using diesel duallys.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24061
I realize the information is a bit old, but according to the MOC poll dated and edited in October 2014, this statement is misleading to the OP. According to the poll 70% of us thereabouts are pulling with some type of SRW truck. As for diesel, we don't have a poll, but I would venture the majority do have them. It sounds like stevedjarrell will be ok closer to home, but might find longer trips more challenging, especially at higher elevations. Not many of us start out with exactly what we want or need, we learn as we go and get what we need when we realize we need it, or that it would make our life easier.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
erictm74
Established Member

M.O.C. #18091
We have a 2016 362RD and are very happy with it. Have had a few minor things fixed. Vent fan, furnace control board and a blind. Did change out the tires for the G614's and added a Moryde pin box and carefree slide covers. Would buy another one.
erictm74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I have a 2015 305RL. Pretty much the same as the 2016 with a few modifications to the floor plan from what I understand. Also, the 2015 is 100" wide, I think the 2016 is 96" wide.

Things (repairs and problems) have settled down after the initial "infant mortality" period. The major problems we had were with the systems and not the camper per se - leveling system (front leg problems) and refrigerator (wouldn't cool on AC power but would on LP), neither air conditioner was cooling properly (air dams that were not in place from the factory), and a handful of minor problems. These were all covered by warranty and were aggravating, but not disabling. We did have a pretty good list that was generated at the PDI; things like loose drawers, bad cable wiring, lights falling off, stopped up shower drains, fender skirts falling off because they were not installed properly etc. So, don't schedule a long camping trip for the day after the PDI! These problems are not unlike most campers now. A lot depends on the dealer (seems like Keystone relies a lot on the dealer to provide QC and finish the rigs now). As the others have said - do a GOOD PDI. Take your time.

We have taken the camper on two major trips - one out West (10 weeks & 6000 miles) and one up the East coast (6 weeks & 4500 miles), and we had no major failures. Other than that we have taken 10-12 short trips with only routine maintenance required. The total mileage on this camper now is probably 18-20K miles. I repacked the wheel bearings just before the last long trip, but, on inspection, the camper didn't really need it. Two bits of advice - 1) replace the OEM tires. I replaced mine the day after I got the camper home and have not had any problems 2) be careful backing up over curbs and such, the leveling jacks in the back hang low.

This is out fifth RV and second fifth wheel. We have enjoyed the camper immensely and think it is one of the best floor plans out there. Good luck!
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
Ok, Still learning, been pulling my current rig for a number of years but never really looked into all of this as it was well below what I could tow. However now you got me thinking and looking stuff up so please bare with me. So my Truck (4.11 gears)has GCVW rating of 20500lbs, A GVWR of 9500lbs, MAX Fifth Wheel weight of 13,900lbs a max Pin weight of 3000LBS, a max Payload rating of 3189lbs and a curb weight of 6376. The Camper Dry Weight is listed as 10,148lbs. Pin weight is listed as 2270lbs. MY Hitch (Reese 15K pro series Slider) has a 3750LBS MAX Pin Weight rating. All of this is good stuff for me to know and think about as I have never really looked all this up beyond Fifth wheel Tow capacity. So thank you Tlightning, you are right. I will be very close if not slightly over my GVWR and very close to my GCVW. If I am factoring that right, between the truck and camper I am at around (Still not 100% on the true truck weight, may be less) 16.5K so I have 4K for everything else to hit my GCVW of 20.5K Which Ideally I want to be below. I really can not see putting 2 tons of weight on between GAS people, hitch and supplies but I do not doubt it can be done. Now you really got me thinking that I am going to have to visit a Scale on the way home and weigh this package. I will note I have never traveled with more than 10 gallons in the Fresh tank... for emergencies. I would really like to go back to a diesel and may in the future but for now this is what I have but at least I am aware of the weight limits I need to keep in mind. Well I have to say this is a pretty good learning experience for my first post. Thank you all.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #15
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
Last post, Got me a little worried about the clearance on the rear leveling jacks. May not be able to back this up my Driveway, just took a really goo look at profile picture, I have a dip at the entrance then a slight grade after the apron. Can anyone tell me the actual clearance measurement for the rear jacks? Sorry for all the questions and thank you to everyone who posted. I really like hearing about the satisfaction level with the Camper.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Roughly 10.5" for the 2015 model (and depending on "spring sag"), but that will be slightly different with a different set of tires. The trailing edge of the stabilizer pad is 46" behind the rear axle.

I have a slight grade (but no "dip") where I back up to park... can't tell you exactly what rise, but the leveling jack clears by 3" when the spare tire rack clears by about 6".

Maybe put a 2x6 in your dip when you back up if you have a problem?
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 AM   #17
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
Thank you Bama Campa I appreciate that information and the suggestion of the 2X6.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:04 AM   #18
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stevedjarrell

Hello all, Looking for any information on the 2016 Montana High Country, Specifically the 305RL. I am going to sign and take delivery on Sunday of next week. I have everything in flight and am just now getting around to asking if anyone owns one of these and if they are happy? The wife and I are ending 7 years in a north trail 28bh 5w. Loved the camper but my Teenage son no longer needs a separate room so we are buying for us. We fell in love with the floor plan and everything else just did not stand up to the fit and finish. I will be towing with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD Gaser. This puts me approximately 4K under my max 5w tow weight dry so I am also curious if anyone is towing with this truck. My current 5w is about 10500 loaded. So I am expecting to be around 12500-13K or so loaded. So please let me know what you think.
Question is that A 8.1 with Allison Gasser
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Quote:

They had quit putting the 8.1L in pickups by 2012 the only gas engine in the 2500 series is the 6.0.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Quote:

They had quit putting the 8.1L in pickups by 2012 the only gas engine in the 2500 series is the 6.0.
I know they stopped putting the 8.1 in Pickups was not sure. Just was going to indorse the 8.1 with Allison no knowledge of 6.0 but it sure lacks cubes !
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote