Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #1
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
Brake wiring problem

So here I am 4,000 miles later in Alaska and having brake wiring issues. Have had a couple of folks look at with no results yet.

Problem: message on dash (2015 RAM 3500) showing check trailer brake wiring then goes to trailer not connected. I still have running lights however but no actual brakes on trailer. This happens going down smooth roads or rough (Alcan)no real pattern. The slightest sway will set it off. I will have no problem for miles then it will go in and out (like a short somewhere)and will have no trailer brakes for a few miles.

What I've done: I have eliminated the problem being at the truck by having another guy hook up with his and showed same problem.

I have changed out the 7 pin on the 5ers pig tail.
I have checked connections in the Jbox under the hitch on trailer.
I had a RV mechanic look at it also but of course it was ok at that time and couldn't make it go out therefor he could not find the problem if it didn't exist at that time.
He also visually checked the wiring going into the hubs and looked at the magnets and all appeared to be fine.

I am planning on traveling up to Fairbanks from Kenai Pen. and must fix the problem before we head out. Also have to make it back to Az. at some point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what you think I should look for. Very Frustrating!!!

The Fifthwheel by the way is a 3000RK 2006. I plan on changing out the entire pig tail next as a process of elimination.

mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
When I had that problem (same process, eliminated truck and 7-pin connector) , finally discovered it was the brake wires which Dexter runs through the inside of the axle. One of the wires had frayed the insulation and it would short out intermittently when the frayed area contacted the metal axle. Tech re-ran wires outside the axle, problem never re-occurred! Tech who discovered it said it is fairly common problem on Dexter axles.

Not sure whether this is your issue, but if it is it is an easy fix.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
Steve, That really helps to at least point somebody in the right directions especially paying XXXX an hour for finding a needle in a haystack. It sounds very probable that could be my problem. I'm scheduled to take the Monty to a trailer company outside Soldotna AK (they sell flat bed trailers not TT's or RV's) and I'll be sure to have them check this out. I assume your guy found the problem check the continuity for that leg of the wiring??

Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Nope. As a last resort, he simply pulled the wires out of both axles and found the frayed area. If the frayed area was not touching the axle at the point he did a continuity check, it would have tested ok. Luckily, he had seen this problem before. It only took him about 1/2 hour to re-run the wires and zip tie them to the axle where they could easily be inspected.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
Awesome. I'll have them start there then since I should probable re-route those wires anyway it sounds like. Thanks loads Steve, this may solve the problem and save me a few bucks as well. Be Safe and thanks again.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've also heard of this problem, but not experienced it myself (YET!). I'd just have them run new wires outside the axle and be done with it. Otherwise, you'll be paying a lot more for troubleshooting. You've eliminated the truck and cables, so this is the only other place it could be unless there's a seriously strange problem somewhere between your pin box and the brakes. The wiring can be checked where it comes out of the belly, on the street side if you rig is like mine. A tech can then splice in and run on the outside of the axles over to the other side. Shouldn't be a big job.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
Thanks Walt, that's where I'm going to have them start when I take it back in on the 9th.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually, if you do a search for brake problems you'll find that frayed wiring inside the axel comes up about every six to eight months. Doesn't happen to everyone, but it isn't uncommon.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I also had message check brake on my ford truck. I took all brake drums off and found Dexter made the wires to long in one of the brake assemblies .the wires were rubbing where the brake magnet sticks to the drum and wore off the insulation off both wires. I repaired the wires and pulled the extra wire out so it was the same length inside as the other drums.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You have been put on the right track .It has ben kind of a common problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I also had message check brake on my ford truck. I took all brake drums off and found Dexter made the wires to long in one of the brake assemblies .the wires were rubbing where the brake magnet sticks to the drum and wore off the insulation off both wires. I repaired the wires and pulled the extra wire out so it was the same length inside as the other drums.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I find when I still have lights and no brakes the plug into the truck needs resetting. I wiggle it around and it corrects. I have threatened to change out both for EZ Connector which is magnetic. The down side is having interface cables if needed for the old system.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
I had the same problem (brake wire in axle rubbed insulation off and shorted out) on my previous Keystone RV with Dexter Axles; the RV Mechanic found and identified the problem. For me the correction was they ran a new wire external to the axle that would not rub and short out.

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a similar problem but I attributed my issue to the RV dealer who installed my fifth trailer connector for my new Monty fifth wheel.

The problem would occur especially when raining or when water was involved driving through puddles, etc. I finally went under the truck and completely took apart the wiring, redid it, then put it all back together again and better sealing the connectors. No problems since. I didn't find anything specific, but I think it was caused by shoddy or sloppy workmanship.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #15
27musicmakers

M.O.C. #18698
I have a 2004 2985rl pulled with a Ram 2500 diesel. My brakes went out completely but I also had all running and brake lights. I found a blown fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel on the drivers side of the engine. You might want to check for a loose connection/fuse in that area.I also checked voltage to each wheel with electric brake at 50% and found a lower voltage on the passenger side because of the voltage drop from the longer wires needed to reach that side. I rewired it by bringing the supply wires to the center of the axle and splitting off to each wheel from there. That made each wheel get the same voltage and brake tension. Adjusted the brakes on each wheel and all is well.
27musicmakers is offline   Reply With Quote