Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
How to clean off slide-out roofs?

Last week we stayed in a CG that had lots of tall pine trees - and when we were ready to leave I had tons of pine needles and other stuff on our slide-out roofs. This was a major cleaning job.
How do you clean your slide-out roofs before sliding them inside?
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I just climb up the ladder onto the roof and sweep them off with a broom. If I ever get around to buying the telescoping ladder I want it will put an end to my roof walking days.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
How much weight can the roof support? I'm afraid I'll fall through, lol.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I've been on the roof several times and been told by service technicians the roof will hold you,I've even walk on top of the slides to clean them.I'm a full figured male weighing approximatly 220lbs
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well I'm even more "full figured" than Garyka and I've walked on the roof and the roof of the slides. They were designed to hold you. I weigh almost 300 pounds and the roof does not even sag when I walk on it. They are very strong.

Now the ladder.... well that is another story. I do not use the built in ladder. I'm afraid I will pull it out of the wall. I use a regular house ladder leaned up next to the trailer.

We've also used an air compressor to clean off the roof. We have one of the long handled blower attachments. It works well too.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Before getting the Slide Toppers I used a small electric leaf blower. Leaned a ladder against the slide end and blew the leaves off. Works on wet leaves as well.
With the Slide Toppers, dry leaves will fall right off as the slides come in BUT if the toppers or the leaves are wet the leaves tend to stick at which point I use the blower.
The blower also comes in handy for cleaning a concrete pad. Faster than a broom and the pad is a lot cleaner.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, like Glenn said. I tote the old Toro Leaf Blower around mostly for that purpose. I have the Gorilla Folding Ladder that also fits in the basement. It can be a step ladder up to 6' or a straight ladder up to 12'. At 260# the telescoping ladders were not rated for my weight, but the Gorilla Ladder is rated for up to 350#. Although I get on the roof, especially to wash it, I prefer not doing so.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Before getting the Slide Toppers I used a small electric leaf blower. Leaned a ladder against the slide end and blew the leaves off. Works on wet leaves as well.
With the Slide Toppers, dry leaves will fall right off as the slides come in BUT if the toppers or the leaves are wet the leaves tend to stick at which point I use the blower.
The blower also comes in handy for cleaning a concrete pad. Faster than a broom and the pad is a lot cleaner.
I am totally amazed at what people carry in their rigs. Wish we had the room for some of these conveniences. Guess, I'll just have to use the old fashioned broom technique until we get a bigger rig.

BTW, anyone carry a weed whacker?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Gas powered leaf blower. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If, like Robbie, you are not carrying any of the afore mentioned tools, try a hair dryer. It blows pretty strong. Just don't hold it in one place to long.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Robbie - we were at a Texas state park and the folks next door (tent camping) pulled a LAWNMOWER out of the pickup and mowed the entire space (and of course the wind was blowing in our direction)!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Larry, were they fulltimers??

Sue, I would love to have a picture of Ed up there blowing the leaves off the slides with a hair dryer. We don't even have a hair dryer because of our solar system, but then there might be a reason to get one!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Robbie,
I got the leaf blower about 2 months after getting our 04 2955. At first it was tight but we did find the room. Today we have the 3485 and had a ton of Xtra space but even with the Xtra space we still trimed down the load even more. Today I carry less than what we did in the old 2955. We actually have 2 caninets in the living room that are empty and when in full travel mode I could still get 2 or 3 more lawn chairs in the basement.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Robbie,
I got the leaf blower about 2 months after getting our 04 2955. At first it was tight but we did find the room. Today we have the 3485 and had a ton of Xtra space but even with the Xtra space we still trimed down the load even more. Today I carry less than what we did in the old 2955. We actually have 2 caninets in the living room that are empty and when in full travel mode I could still get 2 or 3 more lawn chairs in the basement.
This is my life's goal. LOL
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Walmart has a small, powerfull and under $50 elec. leaf blower that works great!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Glenn,

We don't have near the experience you have with fulltiming, but we keep trying to be frugal with free space all the time. We are constantly looking for new ways to get rid of stuff, and we use the old adage that if it wasn't used since the last time we are at our utility trailer storage, it will stay at the utility storage.

I just hate having to unload something to get at something else. I REALLY hate looking for anything too!

Our 2980RL keeps getting more and more organized...so, in time we may have room for a leaf blower and maybe a hair dryer.