Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
American Idol Fans (or closet Idol fans)?

OK, you Idol fans--what did you think about tonight's performances? (Don't say you never watch American Idol, because not long ago quite a few MOCers had a pretty good conversation going about who was in, who was out, and who should be going out! )

Here's my critique: Paula was in lala land. Maybe there's some truth in those rumors after all. Simon was gorgeous, as always. Randy was Randy--steady.

Now for the contestants: David Cook and David Archuleta were great, again. Syesha was good, but I see her as a successful Broadway musical star, not as an American Idol. Brooke was mediocre on her first song, good on her second song. I see her as a great niche performer (which niche, I don't know), but not as an American Idol. Like Syesha, she's not as versatile as the other performers. Jason Castro? Sigh . . . trust me, the teeny-boppers will keep him on the show until the bitter end. Once again, all I've heard at school since last week is "Ooooo, his eyes! Oooooo, his dreadlocks! He's gorgeous."

I predict the bottom two will be Syesha and Brooke or Jason and Brooke. However the cookie crumbles, I think the teenage girls will save Jason again this week. What do you think?

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Me and the DW are fans so we watched tonight. I was pretty disgusted with what happened last week so when it came time for Jason to sing I had to get up for a soda. I lean toward David Cook and Syesha in the final. She is getting better and while Jason is still getting the votes he won't gain many more but both of David and Syesha stand to pick up the votes of those that wait till the final 2-3 and those that voted previously for losing contestants. Yes Paula seemed a bit far away but she always does strike me as being one short of a full deck. Neil Diamond looked great. I only wish I might at his age.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Jason should have been gone 3 weeks ago , but as you say the teens are the voters so they love him so it goes but if the middle to older voted he was gone long time ago john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I didn't get to see it tonight. Bernie and I were out of the rig. Oops. I'll chime in next time!!!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Donna is a big fan and watched it last night. I just can't get into it like she does. I did see the replay on the morning news.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We DVR'ed it and watched it after it had started by 45 minutes. It let's us skip the commercials. Tammy, you don't have DVR?

Carolyn, I think you hit it right on the head. Jason, unfortunately, will be back because of the teen vote. I wonder if their parents know they are spending foolishly voting for him? It cost a dollar + every time they vote. I'd just plain give Jason $15 if he would get a haircut.

I miss Christy Cook and Carly Smithson. I think they were both better than 4 of the ones there were still standing last evening.

Yes, David and David were both good last night. David Cook has the maturity to make it in the big time. Little David is 17 and seems to be a little frightened, but his performance last night was better than some of his past ones. He may be loosening up.

Since we are stuck with what is being played, I hope David Cook makes it to the top. Did you notice his jacket last evening? Y'all do know that AC is his brother's initials. His brother is handicapped.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #7
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Nice to know that I have company when I watch Idol! Neil Diamond--what a force, right? To stay on top and be as good as he is for so long is rare these days. He seemed to be quite a gentleman, too. I had the good luck to see him perform live a long time ago; he started on time, gave the audience 110% during the show, and then stayed around afterwards to shake hands with fans. His show was nothing a Temptations performance I attended once in Houston. That thing started 3 hours late, the group sang only one song, and then they left. (I'm sure you think everyone who paid to see that non-event deserved every single rotten moment, and you're so right. Some of us had no brains when we were younger.)

I think I'm ready to make a final prediction: Brooke White will go tonight. Could be wrong, but my gut feeling is that as good as she is, her appeal to the keypad-punching-teens is not quite as strong as that of Jason or Syesha. Can't wait to get to work this morning and see what my students think.

Carolyn
Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We also took the opportunity to see Neil Diamond in Norfolk, VA in the mid 70's. We applied for our seats a little late through the military system and ended up over his left shoulder, 30-50 feet away. What a great performer and a great performance. I think he is my good looking age.

I hope you are wrong about brook. Not that I want to particularly see her win as "The Idol," but she is so much better than Jason. She has vocal qualities that he will never have. Jason is strictly a ballad singer with very little range or force. It's almost like he is struggling to force the sound out. If he makes it to the top he will need a lot of electronics help with a career. JMHO
Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hey Wayne, no I don't have a DVR. Terrible isn't it? I do have a VCR. But, when we got cable the other week, it came with a box bigger than the VCR. So out goes the VCR and in goes the cable box. The VCR did me no good last night. Hmmpphhhhh.
Now wait, please don't tell me that DVD/CD player that came with the rig is a DVR. Is it?
T
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Carolyn
DW & I couldn't agree more. I also miss Carly & Christy. Jason must go but he probably won't. We thought Syesha was great last night & has a place on Broadway.

Ken & Marilyn
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I think Syesha and David Cook will be the last two standing. BTW David's brother has Brain Cancer.
I miss Carly Smithson,she was my favorite.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
If you noted the vibes I think everyone, including Seacrest, thought Carley's leaving was a travesty. Of course he said "Make sure you phone in your vote to help your favorite win." That show must be a goldmine for the producers.

Stiles, our digital cable box has a built-in DVR with an 80 gig hard drive. It is a Motorola 8200PVR and came with the service at an additional $12,95 per month. This model can only record a tuned station but can tune the station automatically. The service provider is currently testing a replacement model that can record any station while you are watching another. As if we don't get enough boob-tube time as it is lol.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tammy,
NO DVR!!! You do know that they provide them with cable service and it replaces the cable box?

Look into Set Top DVD Recorders

Unfortunately I cannot find on that includes radio but the footprint is real small now a days. You can even buy a combination dvd/vcr recorder and copy all your vcr's to dvd. Or, connect your digital or analog camera up directly to the recorder and record "on-the-go."

Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
American Idol is on.
It was stated that there were 45 million votes cast. Can you imagine that they are most likely $1 for each vote. AI collected $45 million.

Wow! Why didn't I think of that.

David Cook is sounding good.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ugh. Today was one of those days that makes me wonder why I teach high school. I really do like teenagers, but graduation is in sight and our seniors have shut down totally. Is there a law against wringing necks?

As I thought, it was Jason, Jason, Jason at school. The kids said "Brooke is too old." Wow. I wonder what they think about me? It matters not that Jason can sing only one style of music. The kids aren't listening. They are looking, and that's how they voted. Every kid I cornered for my unofficial poll said he/she voted for Jason, not once but 4, 5, 6 times or more. KaCHING! $$$$ I wish they'd read their Canterbury Tales assignments 4, 5, 6 times or more. But--they don't have time, not even to read a measly 11 pages a night.

Tomorrow will be a better day, tomorrow will be a better day, tomorrow will be a better day . . .

Mrs. Mathews the Party-Pooper (according to her Advanced Placement English Lit and Comp students)
Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And I guess I'm antique!

Well, I guess the phase has to be changed from "May the better person win," to "May the better looking person win in the teeny-boppers mind."

Brooke is so much more refined than Jason is.

Can you even imagine Jason on stage singing and the little ones swooning over him. If he had a voice it would not be so bad. If he could even sing a little louder it may not be so bad.

Oh well! Just a few more weeks and we can watch "American Dancing!"

I did like the telephone question from Simon's old girlfriend when he was 9 years old. Hmmm! Sly dog! He never did answer the question. Maybe he wants to do another "of age," test.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Well, I was right, but I didn't really want to be. No doubt about it--the girls old enough to punch a cell phone keypad are going to keep Jason in this thing until the bitter end. Next week, unless something spectacular happens to change my mind, I predict Syesha will go and Idol will be left with 3 boys. It's not that I mind 3 boys being the "last last" finalists; my objection is the popularity contest aspect of Idol.

I'd predict David and David for the final 2, but I'm still in shock over Carly and Michael Johns being booted from the show. So, if the fans of the two Davids don't vote, thinking each is a sure bet, the Jason fans might pull off another shocker. If either David is cut next week, I think that's the last week I'll be watching.

I am ready for the dance show, too. Dancing has come a long way since I took lessons in Houston from Hallie Prichard and Patsy Swayze (yes, Patrick's mother). Hallie used to swat our little legs with a branch from her will tree right outside the studio window. If my three-year-old self didn't have my toes pointed correctly, or if my hands were out of position, POP! If anyone failed to arrive without wearing a black leotard and pink tights, POP!--and that person wasn't allowed to set foot on the dance floor at all. My, how the times have changed.

Carolyn
Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #18
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Watching last night was maddening! Hubby said if Jason is the "American Idol" he is not watching it anymore!

They should keep the present format, but when it gets down to the final 5 or 6 then the judges should take over and at that stage I would add 2 guest judges and vote by ballot.

I would give Jason $100 to cut his hair!!!! lol
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 AM   #19
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
The sad part is he knows he can't sing and is gloating over the fact he is "smarter" than everyone else. The judges are jokes to him. Wouldn't you just like to get him in boot camp for a few weeks. I told the wife I am finding something else to do on Tuesday nights. Appearance beats out quality. I wonder if that is the message the sponsors wish to be connected with. BTW someone wants to tell Syesha just how ugly that dress was.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
DW also predicts that Syesha will be the next to go. She also stated that if that happens she is not watching Idol again.

As long as Syesha's hair is down, she can wear anything she wants in my eyes view. She's cute. Wonder why the male teeny boppers don't get on the wagon and vote for her!