Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
How often do you clean your rigs?

Hello everyone,
We are wondering how often you clean your rigs?(Exterior) IE: Roof, awnings, sides. I just got through cleaning our roof after 4 months and it was a big chore. We had only parked under trees for about a month of that. What would be a good cleaning routine to do all of these things? Thanks for the feedback?

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I try to stay on a monthly exterior cleaning routine. Everything from the roof to wheels gets washed with Gel-Gloss wash n wax... Being your new Big Sky will have the Hi-gloss gel coat, you could probably get away with washing every five to seven weeks depending on location.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I clean the roof maybe once per year. Yes, I know I probably should do that more often.

I clean awnings when they seem to need it, like when birds have done their thing or its very dusty. In other words, only when needed.

Same for the coach. I clean bugs off soon as I can after we set up in an rv park. I usually do not do this if we're just there overnight. I wash the entire coach when I can, which usually means about every three or four months because most rv parks do not allow washing of the coach. If it has road spray because of towing in rain or otherwise needs a going over, and the park does not allow washing, I'll use a bucket or two of water with a bunch of micro-fibre rags. I find if I wet them, wring them out, lay them on the picnic table, by the time the current one is dirty the next one is ready for use (damp enough to take off the dirt but dry enough not to leave water to spot on the rig). Otherwise I use a wash and wax solution when I can get away with it or every three months or so.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I wish there were a good answer to your question, but it seems to be a fulltime job for me. I do it when I can, and worry about it the rest of the time. When I get done with the coach, the truck needs work....
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have only washed the outside one time in almost a year. This was after I took it to the dealer and they cleaned Miss Monty. When I picked her up $140.00 later she still had black streaks. I went to camping world and got everything you can imagine(big overkill on supplies) then went home and spent 1/2 a day of good quality time scrubbing her. I have decided the roof can be cleaned in 1 hour if I stay focused. I need 2 hours for the front, back and sides. The rubber seals and the slide lube take hardly any time at all. The worst part by far is the awning. I spent 1 hour cleaning the awning. After all this a six pack is key to maintaing sanity.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
During camping season we wash the monty every month. We wax it it 5 times during the season and do the roof also. It will be an even bigger job now with the extra length of this one. The gel-gloss is alot easier to clean which is really nice.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The Gel Gloss is a terrific product. Leaves a beautiful shine afterwards. Even on our non-gel coat 3400.

Also, I figured that the silicone caulking that they use all around the rig was just going to have to stay dark for the rest of the Montana's life span. Wife sprayed a little Awesome on it and totally changed the color back to "factory new" white. I was astonded as I had tried some other products to no avail...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Gel Coat Wash/Wax works marvels and 303 Protectant repels the dirt. Works for me.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have a de-ionized water system set up at my house. Use it on all the vechicles. I can wash the Monty in about an hour and it gets washed top to bottom every two weeks, and I never have to dry it, no spots even on the windows. It gets waxed twice a year. Beginning of summer and winter.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
We find truck washes work well. A couple of dollars in quarters wash the bugs and road grime. Remember to not apply a high pressure water jet around the decals and the small air vents in all the windows. Other than that she's fair game for a good cleaning.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are in the process as we speak..Oh Boy what a job.. Az, Texas and NM dirt is flowing down the driveway.Helen was up on the roof most of the day yesterday(after the sun went down) cleaning the roof. We used the stuff Dicor was handing out at the Rally in addition to dawn dish soap as recommended by Dicor. Is it blazing white,,no//is it clean..yes. She has been inside the camper doing the walls and just finished cleaning the carpets...very dirty , everything brown. Took her a couple of hours to get all the Bugs off the cap.I gave the outside a once over but it will need to be done again. Don't care what it cost...We will not do this again..She will start on the Truck tomorrow.. I am driving some charters to pay for wintering 2007/2008.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Clean mine this past weekend with the Gel-Gloss and applied 303. This time, I also applied some "rubber roof coating" with a paint brush on all the caulking around the vents, antenna and front and rear moldings etc to seal them. That stuff works very well.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
we do not have the high gloss gel coat but the next rig will be ,, i waxed all day and have another day or so as i am buffing it to bring it up where we want the look with a very heavy coat of wax.. you can say what you want but those factory guys with the caulk gun need lessions on how to put it on , not just smear it all over the place as the black jumps at the clear caurk
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote