Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
32" LCD TV MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS

I know there has bee a few members who have succesfully installed the 27 inch LCD. I am looking for anyone that has installed a 32" inch and what kind of changes were required to accomplish this.. Thank YOu John

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
John
I really wanted to go with the 32" LCD also but physically couldn't figure how to make it fit in the space alloted. On our 3670, bounded by the refrigerator on the right and the desk on the left the best I could do would have been with a 30" with the speakers below the screen, but I couldn't find anything with that configuration and had decent specs. That's why I decided to go with a 26" Sony which fit the existing opening without modification. I had purchased 27" AKAI that would have required a slight modification to the opening but it turned out that the series has a problem with OTA reception.

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I did it this way...

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...cd_mounted.jpg
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Ok, Ozzie. Are you showing me a 32 LCD (what brand). do you have any additional pictures of how it looks from the front????? AND where did you get that $4000.00 mount. Have you traveled with it as yet and how did it take the road.
I only fear a few roads one is HWY 90 From Albert Lee to Winona in Minnesota. I wrote the Minnesota GOvernor and Head of Minnesota DOT. I course no answer. OH, I am off subject. All the info I can get about mounting a 32 LCD would be appreciated. Thank You John
Old 04-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
The selection of the TV was somewhat based on the profile of the rear of the unit (had to fit the back of the unit into the opening). It is a Vizio 32" and can be gotten from Costco for 699.00. I will say that I am very pleased with the picture, and although I haven't traveled with it yet, am looking for a much improved experience.
I have worked out a couple of solutions for travel - one is to remove the tv (one allen screw plus the connections), or simply strap it in so it can't move (more likely).

That link I gave you, you can use the forward and back arrows to the right of the screen for for more pics. Basically what I did was remove the dividers in the cabinet to gain as much opening as I could (yours may be a different size than mine), use 3/4 plywood top and bottom to anchor to the framework of the cabinet (not the very thin plywood), then a 2X6 for the upright board that the tv mount is fastened to. It is very sturdy - no worries.

Something tells me I need to bring a table saw to Branson...
If you want to tell me the measurement of the opening of your cabinet - I can tell you if my method will work for you.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Ozzie - My Opening is 26 1/2 wide by 25 High, overall it's 32 /1/2 wide fom outside edge of fake board to outside edge of fake board... Your still keeping the secret of where you got the MOUNT. and yes bring you SAW AND A LOT OF WALLEYE to Branson. And thank you and everyone for your support....... John
Old 04-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
By any chance does your existing configuration have the two upright boards there now(like mine used to have)? Those can easily be unscrewed from the back with a philips...then putty the holes where the screws were.
I did this on mine and ended up with an opening of 33 X 20 1/2. The tv fits easily on the width, but the height requires the tv to be mounted to the outside. That's the reason I chose that particular tv - it fit for my needs. I could've gone for the more expensive Sony (would've fit right in), but that puppy was 500 bucks more. My wife wasn't having that one...

You would have to ask about that mount...I am unable to recall what that was, but I'll try to find it again. The main points about that are it has to be strong enough to hold the tv (40 pounds plus some bounce), and it needs to swing out for mounting and unmounting. I set it so the back of the case rides on the opening frame on top of some rubber cushion to take the travel stress off the mount arm.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hah! I found it...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...928462-6368754

Now don't ask me to do that again bud...my memory is like an open trap...LOL
Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OK, Bruce - I will stand by until you find the mount information. RUbber on bottom HMMMMMMMMM really good Idea, and I thought everyone in Minnesota including brain's hybernate in the winter. (I can say that cause I was born in Winona) ho ho ho. I am sure that your wife thought that you could get that TV and the 400 you saved could buy you something really nice like a NEW SAW or LAZER LEVEL or????????????? a second honeymoon in Branson ho ho ho
Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Haha...well...what I saved I put into other things for the rig...like a central vacuum (I don't dare say it is for her), air and water filtration, heated mattress pad, etc...
The list keeps on going and going...somebody stop me...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
FYI, When I talked to Charles Wade from Keystone at our local RV show, I mentioned doing this with the TV. He cautioned against doing it with the TV they are putting in as the back of the TV had broken out on two different occasions. He suggested that you only buy a TV that was specifically made for a wall mount and had the extra reinforcement in the back. Of course, you guys probably already thought of that I imagine. Maybe others haven't. I have a 55 inch in the stick home and it will be difficult going down to a 27" but it WILL be done for awhile....

Happy camping to all. Looks like we might be able to move into our Monty before end of April. We close on stick home on the 24th and were wondering where we were going to live for May (weather). Hopefully we can find a spot in a local park for May then depart on our big adventure in Jun. EEEEEYYYYY HA!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Excellent warning pparamore...I wouldn't think of going down the road with that setup unsupported. I have a smooth ride where mine is located, but hey - that's a lot of money on only a few screws going down the road...

I have mine sitting on rubber all along the back of the bottom (fully supported across the back), along with a strap across the top to hold it in place while in transit. I have to lift slightly to get it on top of the rubber, so there is no doubt about the weight being transferred to the cabinet rather than the mount on the back. The sum of all parts, eh?
A large part of fabrication requires a bit of time sorting it out - often more time than it takes to actually do the job.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hi Phil - The Vizio - Sony - Sharp LCD's are all designed for wall mounting purposes, however in Stick home's. The extra vibrations will have to be taken in to consideration of course. I think Ozzie said one allen screw to take it off, I would have no problem doing that and laying it on the Bed for the trips. I thank you for your information however and would also like to let you know a really neat place to start your MONTANA trips would be the Get ToGeather in Branson the 17-20 of May.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I looked at a Big Horn 5th Wheel that had a LCD TV mounted on a swing out arm like Ozzie's. It had a similar entertainment area as my 3400. I keep meaning to go back and see just how they had it all attached. I remember that when you put it back against the cabinet it had a Velcro strap that held it there for travel.

I also have a 32" Vizio that I plan on putting in the Monty as soon as I check out how some other manufactures have mounted their's. It will also allow for some more storage behind it.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Mine has a subwoofer behind...and it sounds great. There is a little over an inch on each side to breathe and I haven't needed to pull it out. I suppose if I wanted to really crank it up, but campgrounds wouldn't be so fond of me giving a concert.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Cambridge came with the 27" JVC anolog Tv. That was removed and in its place was a 27" LCD by Sony. The 27" Sony was great in the Everest 343L, but in the Cambridge it just didn't look right to much empty space. So we had a 50 plasma in the Stick house, it was just to much. So we were in Sam's of all places, and see a Akai 32" so the price was half the Sony and we think the picture is as good. We came home with the Akai 32". I removed the mount that came on the Tv and I had some scap wood and Aluminum angle strips in the workshop (Storage Bldg.) and mounted the wood 1 by 1 in a L shape and used the Aluminum angle strips as support also at the bottom of the 1 by 1 I used small L-brackets. We have never had a problem with vibration and have about 20,000 plus miles since the Akai was mounted. Total cost of mount, less that $3.00 dollars. GBY..
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #17
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
SHARP AQUOS model LC32D62U on order as we are typing this out. I think if I talk right and do a little bribing I can Get MUDCHIEF oR OZZ to help install this thing. OZZIE you should still bring your SAW AND WALLEYE to Branson just in case.... Later John
Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
John that sounds like a good idea. I will come over and we will do yours first. Then I will know what not to do on mine. I'll bring a jar of helper when I come. You know the stuff I get down in Arkansas.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OZZIE - That mount you recommended from PREMIER MOUNTS www.mounts.com has arrived this afternoon, very well built - STURDY - and very nice looking toboot. This mount excepts LCD's from 17" to 40" swivel and 15 degree tilt. I checked the company and they sell this mount for $125.00 got it through AMAZON for 59.99 go figure. The 32" LCD Sharp get's here Saturday and I have Convinced MUDCHIEF he and his wife they need to drop by Sunday (for a snack) I guess I need to tell him to bring his tools ha ha damn I am bad.. OZZIE that was a slick Idea about the TV being able to remove it with one allen screw. That's how I convinced my DW to get the Sharp. Said it would look good in the MASTER BEDROOM and of course when we traveled it would simply slip right in the MONTY with one screw. What a salesman I am. ho ho ho. Now I have to get it mounted before BRANSON. that is if MUDCHIEF Brings his TOOLS. anyway thank you OZZIE for the great mount recommendation, GOD this MOC web site is great... see you in BRANSON John
Old 04-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #20
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
You're more than welcome John...we had our lcd in the bedroom for a while, but now it's out in the trailer for the season. I sure miss it, digital tv is very nice.
I'll still bring a few tools to Branson just in case, no table saws or mitre boxes though. I'll bet you're all set before Branson anyway with the help you're getting, My idea for mounting that arm is a good one, maybe my pics are enough for you guys to see how I did it. If you need more let me know.
The hard part was figuring that upright board that the arm mounts to - it is offset from center and the depth has to be just right. Just put the arm on the tv first and figure from there.
It took me a couple wacks at it and I've done carpentry layout work before. Once the first one is in you can see how far off you are.

Oh...that arm mount - it does loosen up if you start moving things around, keep those tools handy...