Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
too many mutts

How come some of you people with pets..like dogs, think you need 3 or 4 of them? Is it a control thing? We just came from a RV park and almost everybody had more than two. I like pets, but come on..just what does it take to make you happy. Then you take them to poop, and then when they do, you act like you never saw the pile or pick it up and walk away. Ya, I know it's not you...Then you want to go sight see, and leave them locked up in the RV and the little fur piles bark the whole time you are gone. I'm sittin there and have to listen to that racket the whole time. As soon as you hit the home stretch..they all of a sudden quit, and are not barking when you reach the RV. And then the leash law is not applicable to your hound. They gotta pee on my tires. I see people kissing their dogs too. Usually right after the dog licks their junk. I better quit before I really get goin..sorry..I had 4 months of it and am venting..I feel better now..Hopefully I didn't offend anybody...

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I take it that you don't own a pet. Lumping every owner of an RV into your post is not fair. How many RV owners don't have pets? How many RV owners don't have a barking dog, but a cat the meows? How many RV owners pull their RV's with a gas motor and not a diesel..... when you fire that diesel up in the mornings or evenings it sure makes noise. How many pit stops do you take and take a potty break without using a restroom with a septic tank? That would be in ala natural... no public restroom?

Sorry I am a pet owner and I would rather stay next to lots of pets then some RV owners. Please don't blame the pet.. when they are exicted to see the owner, they can hear the truck and are welcoming their owner home. Do you have your TV to loud for your neighbor?

< removed content bordering on personal attack - hotr >
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Montana Roq, we are pet owners and have been upset by the behavior of many pet owners and their pets. That doesn't mean we're going to vent to a group of people such as those on the forum who have never caused us any trouble. When you vent to people it is not necessary or desirable to address them as though they are the perpetrators. You're blaming everyone here on the forum for people who have offended you elsewhere. It's bound to stir up anger in the innocent people on the forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ouch! Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock.

Yes, there are some pet owners who should not have pets. But please don't lump everyone into one bag.

I don't have any pets but love them all. I just ask all pet owners to pick up after them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We travel with two dogs. This year one will be a puppy and we are working hard getting him ready for camping. A different set of manners needed.
When we walk our dogs (on leashes) we carry with us small plastic bags I bought at Walmart. They are the type you put soiled diapers in. I even try not to "stink" up the trash.
We never leave our dogs tied outside unattended. Can you say the same about the kids or grandkids???? They drive us nuts. Running around the trailers screaming until 10-11 at night. What really gets me is when they ride their bikes and try to come as close as they can to us when we are walking with or without the dogs. Apparently helmet laws don't apply in campgrounds. Have you ever seen what damage can be done to a head of a child with no helmet when it hits gravel?? I have. When I see a child riding a bike as fast as they can (we can only do 5-15 in a car) at full speed, I call the office. I don't want to see or hear the results of a head striking the ground again.
You ask us dog owners to be more considerate. I ask parents and grandparents to do the same with the two legged creatures. A campground is not one big playground. They still need to supervised.

Carol

Park next to us. My dogs won't pee on your tires. But, don't look around toward the high grass ---- many men are out there. Not bird watching either.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
OP, I feel your pain. I too hate loose or constantly barking dogs, stepping in dog poop, etc. I do however, travel with 2 dogs, a Chihuahua
and a Pomeranian. We walk our dogs only on a leash, in the dog park area, and clean up after them.

As the above poster stated, just because some kids are brats and run wild, does not mean that all parents are jerks. The same applies to pet owners. Please don't lump us all together, but I can understand your venting.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Guess I struck a nerve there..Sorry to all who I have offended. I just set up in a new RV Park, and it does seem to be the same wherever I go. Don't try to divert attention from the Dog subject to Kids, and Diesels..Got to address one problem at at time.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Feel your anger and angst. Oh, ya, I got 4 yorkies. Why? Ya know, I ask myself the same reason, God must have had a reason to give me 4 to care for.

Many people believe the rules are not made for them, this goes in pet ownership and in all other arenas of their lives too. I see them speeding down the highways at 85 miles per hour all the time (just one poor example, but ya get the drift).

Barking while the owners are gone is one of my main concerns, and in my informal study of dogs left in rigs I find that the little critters that are left in crates or pens tend to be more quiet. They cannot run around and look out the windows and bark at everyone who walks too close to their HOME! Gotta protect that HOME! Find this particularly true with the little ones like mine who are considered guard dogs (check out a good dog book, look up yorkies, errr, guard dogs).

Course, a good part of the human population feels it is cruel to put dog in a crate. OK, cannot change your minds.

Sometimes mine do bark, but they won't be barking AT the windows where it is so easy to hear them.

Like I said, feel your pain and angst, I rarely walk my dogs past our campsite, in over 20 years of yorkie ownership, I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER been in a campground where we were not charged at by a dog not on a leash, or a 30 foot leash that allowed it to get well into the road. Nope, the rules do not apply to anyone but me (sad, eh?)

Oh, and I tend to get mouthy and passionate on this subject, just ask anyone who has ever stayed in a campground with me. SIGHHH

Let's face it, campgrounds are living in close quarters, ill manners really blow into gigantic proportions in a hurry.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We are the PROUD owners of two dogs that are every bit a part of our family. They are and we are well behaved and responsible. The behaviour of pets can be no different than human behavior. Having stayed in a few hotels recently with our dogs kenneled and quiet I've got to tell you that I wish I was able to kennel a gooood number of the noisy and inconsiderate human beings that walk the face of the earth. Yes there are irresponsible people out there, some of them have children, some of them have various pets, some of them just have themselves and it's there own behavior that is the problem. That's my point, human behaviour is at the root of these problems, it really isn't the dogs or the children's fault at all.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #10
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
We also have 2 pets, and enjoy them all of the time, can't say the same about some of the people we have meet. They are better cared for than some children and part of our family. Why don't you seek out campgrounds that have a no pet policy, you would probably be much happier. There is a very nice one just down the road from the one we are in. It is beautiful and we would have liked have stayed there except for the no pets, have become friends with many there, nice people. Barking dogs are one of my gripes and I also don't think that you should have to listen to that. We board our dogs at the local vets if we are going to be gone for a whole day.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Barking while the owners are gone is one of my main concerns, and in my informal study of dogs left in rigs I find that the little critters that are left in crates or pens tend to be more quiet.
I agree that those pets that are placed in their little kennels when the owners are gone are the best. I've yet to hear any disturbance from those pets when their owners are gone.

If every pet owner would take heed, I don't believe the first poster on this thread would have much to say about pets/owners.

Orv
Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

..... Yes there are irresponsible people out there, some of them have children, some of them have various pets, some of them just have themselves and it's there own behavior that is the problem. That's my point, human behaviour is at the root of these problems, it really isn't the dogs or the children's fault at all.
Amen to that. It isn't the kids or the pets fault but rather their parents/owners. The proper up bringing/training is lacking. Many adults, like those above, take excellent care of their children, including the furry ones, but too darn many have better things to do and therein lies the problem. It is due to these "A" holes that there are more and more +55 and no pet parks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We travel with two dogs. We ALWAYS pick up our dog's doodles. We carry plastic bags from the newspaper. Always walk them leashed. We very rarely leave them in the trailer alone. They usually go with us or we don't go. They may bark a little when we leave but then they are quiet. We have checked this out. Almost every park we have stayed in.... unruly children will run past our dogs while we are walking them or run up to them to pet them. Our dogs are afraid of children. Some will ask if they can pet. Some don't. Or a tiny kid will be trying to walk a very big dog that they can't control. Our dogs have been almost attacked by this scenario. Or a dog running loose. Our dogs are well behaved and trained well.

I would suggest someone that doesn't care to live around pets, stay at a campground that doesn't allow pets. I think they would be much happier.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Or a tiny kid will be trying to walk a very big dog that they can't control.
I would suggest someone that doesn't care to live around pets, stay at a campground that doesn't allow pets. I think they would be much happier.
Amen. And families that allow a little child to walk a big dog should know that their big dog is going to want to sniff every other dog. Then they will pull the child along to get to the other dog. Have seen it happen time and time again. Not too smart.

Orv
Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
As someone who has always had animals around....and children.... sometimes I would rather take the dogs! We have been traveling with our Shih Tzu "Lexie" for the past 2 years and I think she has as much enjoyment with the open roads and camping as we do. How many of you out there can see that their dog just knows your getting ready forthe trip? Ours starts racing back and forth in anticipation. It's quite comical. I agree, a leash and respect for others HAS to be maintained, as well as where they do...and what WE do with their business. Shame on anyone that allows a dog to continue barking, run wild, and leave their markings.....they are probably the same people that have very unruly children.....That said....at the end of the day when Lexie climbs up on our laps to give us a kiss and her unfaltering love....What's better than that?

Kelly
KBLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our Greta picks up on so many signals that we're getting ready to move. She immediately wants to go sit in her beloved truck. I'm sure she's afraid that we'll leave her. She goes with us most of the time because she's the first one to the door and we can't get out without taking her!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We also travel with a pet. Our Lexi is a 3 1/2 year old 6 lb. Cockapoo. Obedience training is a must for us with our pets. It makes a wonderful pet and also teaches us how to handle them, big or small. I for one would not be offended at all if someone wrote a (polite)note and put it on our door if our pet was barking while we were out. We try to take her with us as much as possible, but sometimes we have to leave her in the Montana. When we do we pull the shades down so she will not be tempted by people who pass by close to the 5th wheel.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #18
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I guess that some people should not have pets and some should not have children. Its too bad these people don't know who they are. We not only have a pet but we have children that have pets. Hopefully we have been successful at teaching them manors and consideration. Pets have a place in our lives whether its to provide love, protection, or both. It is our job to show the pets the same in return. My 2 cents worth.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Montana Roq, we are also pet owners and also have grandchildren, And have to agree with you on some points about people and their pets, and others about the kids running wild but let us not forget about the parent and grandparent who along with the pets, and kids wander not around you’re camp site you are paying for, but right through it, if it is raining they may even walk under your awning to stay dry. Is it no surprise the poor little darling is barking it head off while the owner is there or gone. They are just trying to do the job of protecting their home.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had to go back and re-read the first post in this thread a couple of times because it seemed to me some of the replies went off on a tangent. Not all, but some. The original post had to do partially with dogs barking all the time their owners are away from the trailer. We, too, have experienced that and it is the height of annoyance for us. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it and yet our day is very difficult because of the constant barking. We paid for our site and should not have to put up with that kind of disturbance.

It is not very often we have encountered this but when it happens it is very frustrating. The problem I see is that as Montana Rog said, the dogs stop barking when the owners are nearing the trailer and, thus, the owners never know the dogs have been carrying on while they were gone. The only way I know is to say something to the owner or to the park management. I would bet most of the pet owners would want to know if there is a problem. For those who would not want to directly confront the pet owners, a word to the park management might be the best approach. After all, everyone who pays for their site deserves to not have to put up with that kind of racket, whether it be barking dogs or a loud party going on.

When we see someone's pet take a dump on our site and not pick it up, we are quick to open the door and say something to them. Vicki has been known to say "you ARE going to pick that up, right?"

We have had pets in the past but do not at this time. We chose to not have pets so one of our granddaughters and a daughter-in-law can spend time in our trailer. Both are allergic. We do enjoy being around the pets of our friends. And I can say all our friends' pets are well-behaved and have never caused this problem that we have seen.

The vast majority of pet owners we've met in rv parks are very responsible. The majority of dogs do not create a disturbance during the owners' absence. Like many other situations, it is the few who create the problems. But when you're living next to this problem, it is a major problem. In my opinion. All of this is just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote