Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
travel with sewing machine

I know some of you take your sewing machine with you. I am wondering if you carry it in your TV or is it ok to put it in the 5er. i was wondering if the bouncing was too much for it if it rides in the 5er and it was better to carry it in the TV.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Jan, (I'm assuming Paul didn't post this question. ) I travel with two sewing machines. I have a featherweight that I store in a carry on piece of luggage. The pockets and slots are great for sewing stuff. My second machine is a large embroidery sewing machine and I do try to protect the embroidery arm with thick pieces of foam. It sits in the front closet in a large plastic bin and is packed with sewing fabric, etc., to protect it. So far they both seem to be doing fine.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
judy,
do you have the singer 221 featherweight? That's what I have in the camper right now. Unfortunately, with being at the hospital, I haven't had much chance to use it!
I love it. Sews like a dream and only 8 pounds. That machine is actually older than my mother! It comes in a nice little carrying case and lives in the cabinet.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Mine rides in the front closet in a case so I assume it doesn't bounce that much. Never thought about it getting damaged. It is one of the low end Singers and if it dies I would just get another. I gave up my old Singer purchased in 1959 and I really regret it. We have the older bedroom configuration in our 3400 and the end (patio side) of the closet has lots of room that is out of the way.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
You are right about Paul not posting this question. My daughter-in-law wants me to do some sewing for her (she has no clue how to sew) when we are there in May and I would really like to take my Bernina (it works so nice) but I have a Sears (1970) version that I may end up taking--if the embrodery machine handles it I think mine will. Thanks for the info--will be looking for more.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If I had a Bernina, I would never travel without it! They are wonderful sewing machines.

Yes, Tara, my featherweight is a Singer 221. It was Glen's mother's machine and sews like a dream, especially for piecing quilt blocks. The old case is a little musty so I have it in the nicely padded overnite case that is on wheels.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Maureen's Janome sewing machine & serger go everywhere we go, they usually ride just sitting on the floor somewhere in their soft sided cases. Sometimes behind the dinette chairs or up front in the bedroom closet.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
My Janome Gold rides on the closet floor up front in the bedroom closet. I wouldnt hesitate to take my Designer 1 (Viking) in the same place, but the Janome does straight and zigzag stitches, which the featherweight does not. If I were planning on embroidering I would take the Viking, but see little need for all the STUFF that would need to go along with it for embroidery.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I bring my Kenmore. It is not too heavy and does everything I know how to do. My sewing is very limited. It rides in the closet.
Want to take some quilting classes. Would love to have an embrodery machine but don't know exactly what to do with it... I mean make with it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
I travel with a sewing machine and a serger - both in soft sided cases and both travel in the basement. When we are in a spot for a while the sewing machine lives on the dining table.
We have been fulltiming since June 2005 and they have traveled great.
Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
DMK

M.O.C. #5483
My Pfaff traveled to south-east Texas just fine under the computer desk. Last year it traveled in the bedroom closet without problems. I have thought about bringing my Bernina, but the Pfaff does everything I need to do with piecing my quilts, so the Bernina stays in the stick house. Dorothy
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Now that I'm retired and traveling, I find it harder to find time to sew. When I worked fulltime, I seemed to make it a higher priority. Anyone else had this experience?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I guess I started a good thread. It is nice to know there are a lot of sewers out there. I used to sew a lot then when I started working full time it has decreased considerably. I have done a little bit of quilting and hope to start doing more. When the boys were little I don't think I ever bought a tshirt--and that was the days before sergers. My machine was the top of the line when I bought it (1988) so now it is pretty basic but I love it. it was one of the first computerized ones. If I would get a new one I would have to relearn how to use it and since there are no girls to sew for I don't need one that does a lot of embroidery but it would sure be fun, I think. I think as we get older we figure how many clothes do I really need? and that translates into less sewing.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Fabric has gotten so expensive and bargains so available that when I sew it's simply for sentimental reasons or a special project. The little grandgirls still like Grandma's creations. There was a day that I declared to myself that I would never pay more than $1.00 per yard for fabric. What a joke!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree Judy. I had not sewen for a long time (10+ years) and I was amazed at the price of fabric but also patterns. I mean $16 for a pattern you will use once or maybe twice. They use to cost less than a dollar. I watch for Joann's sales or buy the Easy patterns that are cheaper. I'm with Jan on not needing the clothes so no reason to sew. However, I had some material put away that I want to make up. I also need the sewing machine for heming the towels and blankets I make using Swedish weave or huck embroidery.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I also ONLY buy patterns when they are on sale at Joann's or Hancocks for 99 cents. Otherwise, they're outrageous. At least they are putting a greater range of sizes on one pattern. That helps when you're sewing for grandgirls who are 2 years apart.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
In response to the question do you sew as much since full-timing - my answer is no. I find it a bit harder to spread out and really get into it - I was spoiled with a whole room for sewing when we had the stick house.

I have an order for a tote bag to work on now and a caftan for a friend.
I recently made raincoats for the dogs (copyed one I purchased) out of an old rainsuit of Joe's.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Laura, I've been thinking about making a raincoat for Greta. She's such a fashion plate, too. It is fun to see how many different things we can make.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 AM   #19
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

I'll be taking my Janome Platinum with us up to Alaska this summer. It's light weight travels well. You never know when something needs to be repaired! The Janome 11000 embroidery machine will stay home but it would be nice to digitize and embroider some T-shirts with the places we visit. Maybe I'll do that before we leave and then I'll have something to wear while we're there.

Kathy
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Prepared T-shirts sound good, Kathy.

By the way, do you travel wth all your Aussies? Greta is half Aussie and she is so smart and spoiled that she is a high maintenance dog. I can't imagine traveling with four of these wonderful dogs.