Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
eddyleet
Established Member

M.O.C. #2047
gray water overflow

I have 2002 5thw 2880RL- Last fall i forgot to drain the gray tank and took showers when the water backed up into the shower but went down slowly. When i got outside the grey h2o is running from the bottom of the trailer thru the undercover. How do i find out where the leak is? Any ideas? (I posted this some where a few minutes ago,but find it this the sec try) Thank you eddyleet@yahoo.com

eddyleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
eddyleet, my sugguestion is to pull the panels off the under belly, fill the tank to capacity and then watch for where the leak comes from. You also could put some food coloring in the tank so you can see where the color leak starts from. Let us know how it turns out.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
eddyleet,
We just had the same exact problem. It started at the MOC Rally in Reno this past October. I thought for sure the leak would be at the top of the tank since it only leaked when the gray tank got full. So finally got around to looking at it in mid January.

The tank was leaking where the drain pipe is mated to the tank. And it is located near the bottom of the tank ..... Not the top. The fix is to drop the belly and insulation and expose the tank. Clean the area around the drain pipe and follow instructions that comes with kit to fix it.

The kit consists of a small strip of fiberglass and a couple of chemicals that you mix together and then slather on the leak area.

The fix seems to have worked. No leaks since we fixed it. Held up good while out for two weeks at Quartzsite.

Estimate at dealer was $500 to $800 depending. Now I do hope they would NOT have ended up charging me that much since it is so easy to fix. Total cost was $34. We had to buy two kits since we messed up the first one!

So if yours is like mine it is an easy fix. I'll post some pics on my PictureTrail link. The pictures are now posted under the album titled -- Shackles and Tank Leak -- Just click on the PictureTrail link below.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
We also have the 2880 RL and have the same problem. It only leaks when the tank is full. I assumed it was an overflow to prevent the water from overflowing into my bathroom floor. I just keep the shower/sink gray tank valve open a small crack and have never had a problem.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
eddyleet
Established Member

M.O.C. #2047
Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know what happens but its got to get warmer befor any h2o in the tank to test (12 to 20 at nite) here in the NW. thanks again ed
eddyleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, Sph77, that's not it! I can tell you from personal experience it will overflow the shower tub and onto the surrounding floor!

Eddyleet, we have a similar leak. Here's what it looks like in those kinds of temperatures!...

The water was not coming from the fresh water drain. It was leaking from the belly around the drain hose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
Thanks Steve,
I guess crawl underneath. I need to anyway. At our last campground the water pressure was so high (over 70 psi) it blew the black tank clean-out hose off the fitting during a flush. I'm glad I had a pressure regulator on the rest of the trailer.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote