Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Placement of review camera

I got the "semi wireless" Voyager unit with one camera from rvcams.com and want to know where folks have found it best to mount the camera. I'm going to use it to check traffic while towing and backing up.

I figure on "fishing" the wire to the transmitter down the inside of the rear cap and along the inside of the bottom cover and somehow (yet to be determined) up to the transmitter that I will mount on the front cap.

All suggestions accepted.
Thanks,
Steve

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Our camera is mounted in the center of the rear cap right below the running lights. I cut a hole and fished the coax from the hole, used the running lights holes to assist, to the left side of the cap. Ran a fish tape from the left most running light over and down the left side of the cap to the bottom to pull the coax up to the light. It took a little work to fish as there is a wooden block to fish around. My camera is non-wireless so I have coax all the way to the pin box. The coax is wrapped/taped around the power cord where it is connected/disconnected to a coax in the truck that runs to the camera. Good luck, it is nice to have the camera when changing lanes and for backing.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our dealer installed our hard-wired camera system and used the path that BW2 did. Camera is above the rear-window at the center, which allowed to fishing to be done after the rear lights were temporarily removed. Wiring went from middle to left side, down the side and into the belly. We went forward beneath the belly pan, until the dropped frame basement area, then went beneath the frame, into the battery compartment and into the pin box. I posted pics previously but can't find them with the search function??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I mounted the camera on the license plate and used the same hole as the light wiring. Installed the transmitter in the battery compartment next to door. Had to splice wires because they were not long enough to get to the front. Got shielded wire from Radio Shack.
Also installed camera on front of truck (license plate bracket) so I could see the little cars in front when I pull into a parking space.
Installed a toggle switch to select which camera I want to look at with the monitor.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On our Big Sky, Keystone located it below the lip of the rear cap. We like it here because when it rains, it is somewhat protected and the lens doesn't quickly go blurry from the water.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Finally tracked a couple of photos down. Looks like we think alot like Michael:

This is how they did the wiring run at the drop portion of the frame:

Up through the gas compartment:

Into the battery compartment:

And on to the pinbox:

Keep in mind that ours is the hard-wired version, hence the heavy duty cable connector.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Folks:
Thanks for the information and pictures. Very helpful. I think I got how I'll do it. I'll post pictures when done.
Steve
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote