Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Check out this Solar Setup

For those interested in Solar panels, thought you would get a real kick out of this guys setup on his older Class C Motorhome. Just when you think you have seen it all. Check it out on our blog.

http://alandnita.blogspot.com/2011/0...er-enough.html

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I would get so confused and would not know which way to park for the best exposure. My first thought was how many gadgets does he have in that small of a rig. Then again he would probably have the same as any of us would have and use in larger rigs.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, he has so many so that he doesn't have to worry about how he parks. The ones with direct sunlight will always work better than the ones on the alee side. He can probably park any direction he wants.

What I'd worry about, is how this rig would fair in the winter storms back East in continuous snow, shorter days and darker days. Just when you need power you don't get the sun you need to get it. I hope he sticks to the desert because the forests could be another problem area. It looks like he's got enough panels to run his A/C cuz he's gonna need it in the desert in summer.

I hope he never angers the local kids. It could be expensive if rock throwing occurs. For that matter, hail could be a problem. Keeping the panels clean shouldn't be too hard - just water and a squeegy (I hope, and no waxing involved?).

It does make me wanna get some solar panels, but maybe just a few.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Art, he parks so far out in the boonies, there are no kids around! Anyway, he is a gentle soul, so I don't think he could anger anyone. He sticks to the west in his travels. Not sure where he goes in summer, but there are cooler areas in higher elevations,(as you should know) so maybe that is where he goes. Just didn't think to ask!

Jolu, We didn't see the inside, but he has most of his windows borded up to allow for the solar panels. I know he said he has everything he can get on his Sattelite TV. I guess he can afford it living like he does.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Quite a setup! It looks like he could run an arc welder, if he wanted to.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I was kinda diggin that seemly massive sat dish. :>) However I it would be tough beating Joe and Lucy's setup awesome workmanship. You must have been and or one heck of a contractor.
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
The dish kinda looks like a my Directway (Internet Access) dish I have on my Monty with a TV signal adapter arm but his dish also has HD on the back. So if he is run a HD tv, most of those use less energy than a old tube tv.

Think about it 8-6v batteries. If they are each 200ah that would be 800ah at 12v. There was a discussion yesterday on the HDT forum about a 12k BTU mini-split A/C running on a 800ah battery bank. He says he can run the A/C for 12hrs and the batteries are still above 50%.

I am curious how many amp hours a day he uses on average and in full sun light how long it takes to fully charge his battery bank. How long can he go with out charging? He might me ok for a few days in cloudy weather if he is conservative in his power use.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
What I like is-- he is out there doin it and marching to his own beat.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote