Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bad Check Valve????

I think I just had my hot water check valve go bad. DW just turned hot water on and heard a, barely negligible thump, and no hot water..In looking at the hot water heater, there is a brass valve for the hot and one for the cold, which I take is the intake. Is it possible both have gone bad Should I replace both Are they available at Home Depot or do I need to go to a RV supply store

Any help would be appreciated, DW likes her hot showers daily and I like her to like her hot showers...

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Phil,
I believe the check valve is on the top. The hot water out side. Worse case you just remove it, and take it to Lowes or Home Depot. If you can not find one leave it out until you get to an RV supply center.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks John, I think there is a Home Depot where I am at, will try them today......Ca I remove the guts to this valve and just reinsert into the heater until I can find another, then hook up the hot water line to the fitting?????
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Phil,
I think you can.
Here is a link that OZZ posted on that bugger.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Pulled the valve and the guts looked very scaly, so I removed the guts, replaced the fitting and the water flowed again. Will try and find one at Home Depot later today and replace, otherwise 26 miles up the road to the nearest RV Dealer...

Thanks to OZZ and Gunny Kohl for the super advice and quick response. DW will be a happy camper today after all........
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Could not find one in the local Ace, True Value, Home Depot, Georges Auto and RV parts nor Walmart. Had to order from Don's RV in Brookings OR, came in yesterday. Picked it up today and replaced old one. That was the problem as it works fine now. If I can just get it to keep dripping once every 20 seconds. I guess I need more teflon tape. I did have to use a 1/2 inch nipple as the valve did not have both male fittings. All in all, saved quite a bit of cash, thanks to H John Kohl and OZZ.....
Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ah, yes, the drip...happens to often and my cure is to wrap with teflon tape about 3 warps nice and snug then put light coat of teflon pipe dope over top.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've replaced that valve in each of two Montanas. I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a spare just because we will need it when we're not close to a dealer or it's the start of a holiday weekend. Someday I am going to buy that spare and then put it where I can find it, like maybe tape it to the side of the water heater.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Noneck, I did use the Teflon tape but did not wrap three times. That is my next solution, more teflon.

Steve, that is a great idea, just tape it next to the outlet. Yep, I think I'll do that also....

Long live the MOC!!!!! This is the best part of owning a Montana!!!!