Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
What we do for fun, part 1

I've been collecting antique radios for about 15 years now. I guess that if I had kept every old radio I ever purchased, I have over 600 by now, but I've sold off the collection twice when I decided I'd rather focus on one or two particular types of radios. But that didn't work. I don't have recent photos of the collection but will try to get some posted. Our Monty has a desk across from the sofa, so I'm going to bring an old radio on our trips for a touch of "home."

Years ago, since we don't have too many swap meets here in Alabama, I created a web site (RadioGallery.com) as a place where collectors could buy and sell radios. It didn't last long because of various reasons. So I started my present site (radioattic.com) in June 1999; it's grown over the years to the point where there are over 800 radios for sale there (none of them are mine, as DW complains). I had over 1,000 for a while, but two of my sellers died last year.

A few years after I opened that site, someone suggested an "index" site as a resource for collectors trying to identify their radios. The Archives have photos of over 9,000 unique identified radios and is growing every day. I'm still amazed at the number of "new" radios I get even after almost ten years. A sister site is the Audio Archives, which has photos of vintage audio equipment.

I guess a big personal benefit of these web sites has been the knowledge I've gained in web site development, particularly the use of database & scripting programs, which has made it MUCH easier to maintain these sites. My graphic design skills are rudimentary (heck, they suck actually), but someday I'll get that right.

Please visit the Archives and see what our radio collecting community of about 10,000 US collectors find so interesting. Find Grandma's radio there, too, maybe.

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
That sounds like a facinating hobby. Try to make a couple of the rallys so you can show off some of your radios.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Steve I hope you don't mind but I am also going to put a plug in for your web site. When you go to his web site also look at the links that he provides. There is one in there that is of particular interest to me and I am sure others here. Look into the man that has received the Medal of Honer in Vieat Nam and all this mans accomplishments. It is something to read for sure.

Did not want to hijack your thread here Steve, just wanted to pass on this info also.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote