Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
pparamore: The Rennai tankless water heater is going to set you back somewhere around 1000+ George Washingtons!!!! plus installation unless you are pretty handy with running gas lines and vent kits. There may be a license required or at the minimum a permit also if this is going into your stick home. The following is a site that offers general info on tankless systems as well as small electric or gas on demand hot water heaters for @ $300 http://www.itankless.com/index.cfm?&...FQrMPgod2mCvkw

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:10 AM   #22
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
on my 2005 monty 3295 i was under the assumtion that my water heater was gas only,when my propane runs out my red light on my heater switch turns on.How do I know if I'm using electric to heat water?
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Gary, you should have an "ON/OFF" switch under your outside cover right on the WH (bottom). Turn to ON and turn your inside panel switch OFF. If you don't have that rocker switch on your WH, then you have a different type than me, but I cannot imagine a Montana of any age not having a dual gas/electric WH.

You can use both systems at the same time for faster recovery (2 consecutive showers), but I was getting a lot of "weeping" (leaking) so I stopped doing that. I am currently running off of gas as I am paying for my electric at this CG. As of April 27, I will NOT be paying for electric (in our summer CG) and I will switch back. Purely economics...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, as Dave said, you most likely do have the dual heater and can run either or both gas and electric. We've not had the weeping problem. When not paying for electricity we run electric only to save propane. If we need quick turnaround, we run both.

One thing to remember. Never ever run the electric side when there is no water in the tank. It will fry the element in a few seconds. It is replaceable, though.

There may be a cotter pin in the switch to keep it from accidentally being turned on when the tank is empty and frying the heating element. I just tossed that pin.

That switch on the outside is a pain. Some of us leave that one on all the time and use the breaker on the breaker panel as the on/off switch. We rarely turn it off, though. Only when draining the tank for some reason. Your call which way you want to do it.

Good luck. Let us know if more questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #25
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have looked at this hot water heater, a little $$ but no cold water

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...ermainpage.htm
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #26
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, too bad this tankless system isn't dual controlled, (gas and Elec). Hate to pay for propane if elec is free, but I will have to reevaluate after using my standard system awhile. Saved the website. Do you know of anyone who has one of these??? How about it someone????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote