Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
R Jordan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6883
E-Z Lube Hub

Anyone ever used the E-Z Lube feature on the Dexter Axles? Does this work well and how do you know when they get enough grease?

R Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Good one, I have been wondering the same thing. Anyone know the answer?
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I do not have it now, but my boat trailer had the Dexter with Bearing Buddy. Pump it full until grease comes out looking clean. Rotate the tire (either by pulling forwand and backing up, or jacking it up and spinning) then do it all over again until the grease pushed out is clean. You will still have to have (or diy) the bearings cleaned and repacked about every three years. Hope this helps. I really liked the feature.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
From what I understand these are different from the type used on a boat trailer. I have the "Red Eye" hubs on my boat and as described above I pump them up until it shows full and don't have to worry about them.

Posts here on the forum indicate that the E-Z Lube hubs on the Montana should only be given one short pump a year, otherwise you will over lube and have grease all over your brakes. I have not used mine. Grease does not wear out. If contaminated with water it will lose lubricating properties and should be totally replaced.

It is a good idea to pull the wheels, check the brakes and repack the bearings every couple of years, depending upon how much the trailer is used.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had them on the original axles of my Montana. They work if you don't over lube. Most of us old farmers have a tendency to use the old adage, "If one squirt is good, two is better, and three won't hurt." Well, take it from someone who has been there, don't over grease. I used my grease gun and ended up getting too much grease in to the point where it blew the seal, got grease all over the linings, and just generally ruined the brake shoes. They had to be removed, cleaned and new linings installed.

I went to Mor/Ryde and had 7,000# axles installed with Individual Suspension and when I asked them about the E-Z lubes, they said that Dexter didn't recommend them. I asked why were they an option when buying the RV and the answer was, "Because you buy them."

Personally, and it's just me, I wouldn't have them. The bearing buddies that are on boat trailers are there to keep the water out of the wheels.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I guess I come from the old school and repack my bearings once a year. I have tried to pump extra grease into the ez-lubs and blew a seal once. Now I have Campers World do it once a year while I am in Florida for the winter. They also check the hubs and brakes and install new seals. I think the book calls for a couple of pumps a year, very slowly. And it also says to check the bearings every other year. Packing them takes care of all that.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I'll second the above comments. A couple of squirts during the first season on the Monty was too much on one of mine, had to replace the brakes. They are definitely NOT the same as the Buddys on our boats.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dexter offers a complete sealed bearing system. Almost wish Keystone would have opted for those to elimate the need to lube at all. I lube the boat bearings, but can't remember the last time I backed the Monty into the lake.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Here's a quote I got from Dexter a couple of weeks back when I ask a similar question.

"The E-Z Lube feature was originally intended for boat trailer use. The idea is to fill the hub cavity with grease to prevent water from getting in and if water does get in you can purge it out by pumping in more grease. The E-Z Lube feature was selected by trailer builders and sold as a maintenance reducing feature. But as you have determined, you still need to do a brake inspection annually so you can just inspect the bearings at that time.

I think repacking the bearings annually by hand would be better because you reduce the chance of forcing grease past the grease seal."

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
I have seen the oil bath kits for different trailers. This is the system that big rigs uses on all their axles. Seems to me that this would be the way to go. Has anyone checked with dexter for this option or an after market kit?

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/a751.pdf
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, My two cents...this feature is not useful for these trailers as bsmeaton correctly states, "can't remember the last time I backed the Monty into the lake". This is the only reason to fill the bearing cavity which is about all that this feature provides, maybe some isolation from dust prone areas is another reason to have it? I've said this before and again agree with ken as an old school trained person nothing substitues, washing old grease out, inspecting cup-n-cone for abnormal ware, doing the grease in palm repacking. The one thing that has played on me is when to check the brake shoes, verses knowing auto wheel bearing go many, many, years w/o repacking...but if in there, clean and repack, vacation is best spent as vacation not trailer repair from neglect! JMHO..
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote