Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 03:05 AM   #1
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
Black Flush Vacuum Break

I have what I think is called a "vacuum break" leaking water. It is connected into the black tank flush water line. I don't really understand why, but the vacuum break is installed behind my shower at nearly the height of my shower valves. They have run a water line from the hookup side clear across the trailer and up behind the shower to install this thing. I have a 3650 and the shower is on the starboard side (that is if port is left and starboard is right, never been quite sure about that). It certainly is not easy to access. Anyway, when I shut water off on the black tank flush, water begins dripping out of the vacuum break thingy. I suppose this thing is installed to prevent any yuck water from getting into potable water. I would like to simply eliminate the vacuum break but am I then risking contamination of my potable water?

This may not be related but when I unhook my hose from the black flush hookup, some water drains back out of the lines. I've wondered if this backflow of water is opening the vacuum break causing it to leak. Should there be a one way valve at that hookup to prevent backflow?

I have included a fuzzy picture of the problem part. It's hard to focus when holding the camera down into a dark hole.

TIA for any responses.

rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Try this; install a small vacuum break at the connection to your Black tank flush, it will 'bleed off' the water in the line. Maybe that will do the job.
But, the vacuum break diaphram is just defective. Maybe if you do the retrofit, that will solve the problem, take the 'chore' off of the hidden factory part.
If you could get to it, I'd just change it out. Doesn't look like that is easy.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Do not remove the vacuum break. You can suck sewage out int the fresh water system making people sick! Replace with a new one! If you remove it and hook it up you can siphon black water on the ground or into our water supply!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Rick

I have the same problem, I called the people at Lakeview RV supply, Inc. and they sent me a new one. I haven't installed it yet, but I have my doubts it will help, I had the old one off before calling and couldn't see a thing wrong, but I will install the new one this week. If it still leaks I might put in a one-way valve in, but then you will have water in the line, then you would have to have air to blow it out to winterize it. Just my opinion.

Larry & LaVonne