Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Outside Entertainement (?)

Added 110v/12v/RG6/Phone line to basement so we can watch RV Today on satellite while catching up on email & pumping up a bike tire or 2 while sipping the suds under the awning in Texas this winter...

Curb side

Driver's Side

worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Be nice if they did that from factory like in some class A's I have seen, also add an outside stereo system with Cable jack would be great.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Yes, it would be nice, but...

This will work with cable also. I also installed a Winegard video distribution switch in the entertainment center. The RG6 jack in the basement is wired as a 3rd TV to the distribution center. Just push a button on the front panel to watch air TV, cable, or satellite. Have had all 3 operating at the same time - works great.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Man, that is great. Can you explain the schematic of the ant/cable/sat wiring? You must have added a separate input for satellite; I need to choose one or the other, and can select the antenna with an A/B switch.

Getting it all wired to the basement would be nice with the appropriate flat panel on a hinge.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Yes, I removed the original single cable input outside & added a dual cable input w/hinged covers. Also added two more cable jacks (plates) inside the ET center. Could have got by with one plate w/2 jacks, but the cable/sat connection in the basement was an after thought. Connected the outside jacks to the ET center jacks w/RG6, & RG6 to the sat receiver & Winegard video switch, & RG6 again back out to the TV's. That switch has 5 inputs & 3 outputs - 2 TV's & a VCR. Used the VCR output for the 3rd TV in the basement.

I then ran the RG6 & phone line thru the basement (up near the floor joists & around the step box, covered w/split plastic cable shield) to the curb side. Bored a 3/4" hole in the basement wall (curbside photo, just above & left of drain pipe), ran the shielded wires thru that & back into the new boxes in the wall. Ended up a neat install, & not looking like a Rube Goldberg thing. Really hafta look in the basement to even notice the cable shield. I also used the same run of cable shield to carry the Romex from the 110v box (GFCI) on the curbside back over to the 110v outlet (mounted up by the joists) on the driver side. LOT less hassle than trying to find a way to snake all that stuff inside the rig, from one side to the other.

Works good; just gotta remember to turn the antenna booster off when watching satellite (or cable, for that matter). Like I said, I've had all 3 (antenna, sat, cable) hooked up at the same time - just push a button to seitch between them...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Smacko

M.O.C. #944
Send a message via AIM to Smacko Send a message via MSN to Smacko
Another idea I tried....I bought a higher watt stereo, ran wires through the floor (along an existing line) above the plastic underliner and into a wall mounted jack mounted on the outside just front of center. I then installed gold connections with female plugs and, of course, put male adapters (push in/pull out type) on the speakers and that's it...pull the apeakers out, put them on a cheap wire rack on the ground and you have and outdoor entertainment system, or at least a stereo. We take our portable XM radio, hook it to the stereo and good tunes to relax by.... Also put in a switch under the thermostat allowing for volume control to the speakers in the bedroom. Hope this helps someone else.

Steve
'04 31RLS Mountaineer
In the State which is home to the West Virginia Mountaineers!!!
Let's goooo Mountaineers!
Smacko is offline   Reply With Quote