Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Broken Montana

There is a shop I pass every day on my way home from the bus garage.It is a Salvage and Restoration facility.They buy about anything, restore it, if they can, and sell it.I was amazed at what turned out to be a 05 3400Rl Montana in the lot last night.A Montana is a Rare sight in these parts anyhow. Looked it over to today, Someone tried to put the Montana through a hole that was about six inches to low. From front door to the front damage. . When standing in the bathroom you could see light along the roof edge and the side wall was buckled about 3 inches down from the roof. The front roof of the bedroom was also buckled although not torn through to the outside. The interior had also been striped.The only thing left was the kitchen table and bed, everything else was gone. There was still rotten food in the fridge. He said it was for sale at 20K as is.... It had a Burnside Rv sticker on it. The insurance company must have totaled it because it would cost more to repair that it was worth..I agree...It was a sad sight...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Rich, that is indeed a sad tale. When I was younger, I saw an Airstream that had been in an accident and it was not a pretty sight, much like you describe here.

Based on your report, I doubt, however, that the person who owns the salvage yard will find any takers at $20k.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Last summer I saw a guy with a brand new Holiday Rambler Presidential slam the first 10 feet of his coach into a train bridge. That bridge peeled the roof back like a can opener. I felt pretty bad for the guy as he got out of his truck and looked up you could just see the tears start flowing. I asked if he was alright and he just stood there staring at the roof. He said after saving for 35 years he was finally able to buy the rv of his dreams. His wife and him had just retired the previous month, sold their house, and were on the way home to pack everything they owned into that brand new rv to hit the road fulltime. He told me he factory ordered this just the way his wife wanted it, and they have been waiting for 4 months to get it. Now in less than 1 hour of owning it, it was totaled. I felt so bad for this guy, but what can one do except say I am sorry and dont worry, you can order another one and still can be heading south by fall. It truly was a sad day for him and me as I watched that rv slam into the train bridge and there was nothing I could have done to stop it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
After we sold our houses in Cal. we were heading up to Montana. I was driving and Paul was giving the directions. Well we got to Salt Lake City, got off to get gas and when we got back on the freeway Paul told me to go in the wrong direction. If you have ever been to Salt Lake this is an easy thing to do. We ended up at the airport. We are heading into the airport and I see the overhead sign that says 12', I immediately stopped the truck and just sat there. I told him that if we went any farther we would end up sitting in the trailer at night and looking up at the stars through the roof. There were cars behind us (I think they wanted to see what we were going to do, and how we were going to get out of this). Luckily I was able to back up that beast and make a u-turn that wasn't easy and get headed the right way. Everyone was giving me the thumbs up as we went back past them.....Paul was on the phone with our friend who drives truck in Montana and he told Paul that he doesn't know to many truck drivers that work at his company that pay any attention to those signs. He took us to his place of business and it was very apparent that he was correct. I didn't see one trailer that didn't have some severe damage on the top. I was kinda proud of myself. Mainly because if I know Paul, he would have tried to make it.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:14 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Atta girl, Kathi....next time just grease her up and hit the gas!!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Montana_3768
Established Member

M.O.C. #3768
Kathi,
Is your Montana about 13 feet high with the second AC on top? I have a 3400 RL and I have not seen any signs less than 13 feet 6 inches so far in our travels. I guess I'd better go over to the storage lot and measure that baby. The idea of the roof opening up like a sardine can is not very appealing.
Montana_3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My 3400RL is measured at 13'2" and that is without my 2nd a/c installed yet. Monday morning I am heading to the dealership to place my bedroom a/c order.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
You are a much braver girl than I I never drive while towing the camper - ever! I would be shaking too hard to drive safely. Good for you!!!
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Last summer I saw a guy with a brand new Holiday Rambler Presidential slam the first 10 feet of his coach into a train bridge. That bridge peeled the roof back like a can opener. I felt pretty bad for the guy as he got out of his truck and looked up you could just see the tears start flowing. I asked if he was alright and he just stood there staring at the roof. He said after saving for 35 years he was finally able to buy the rv of his dreams. His wife and him had just retired the previous month, sold their house, and were on the way home to pack everything they owned into that brand new rv to hit the road fulltime. He told me he factory ordered this just the way his wife wanted it, and they have been waiting for 4 months to get it. Now in less than 1 hour of owning it, it was totaled.
That is just awful. I hope they were able to order a new one and continue on with their plans.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
carmzen

M.O.C. #5557
my thirty four hundred measures 13' 4" to the top of the dome amd i used to drive truck so i generally watch the bridge signs
carmzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Hey my motto is TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORNS! Have always been that way, don't know why maybe it was because I had 6 brothers that always made me go first in everything. I probably could have declined but just never did. If it hurt me then they didn't try it...LOL...We have the 2nd A/C and I just knew that it wasn't gonna fit!!! Never measured the height of it, just didn't look good!!!! I don't know if brave is the word, maybe its I just wanted to get out of there with my trailer in tact!!!
Patodonn If I grease ur up who would have to wash all that gunk off????

Sixcampers, Once you've pulled one you want to do it again...Thank about it this way, what if something happened to your driver, what would you do? I wanted to be sure that I could pull that thing and do it safely. Now I know that I am a much better driver then Paul, and he will be the first one to tell you that. He says I am more aware of the things around me, I am more cautious etc. You have to try it just once. If you don't like it then that is another story, but just try it in a vacant parking lot first....There are a lot of ladies that tow their trailers, they will chime in and tell you all about it. Happy Travels to Ya!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

Sixcampers, Once you've pulled one you want to do it again...Thank about it this way, what if something happened to your driver, what would you do? I wanted to be sure that I could pull that thing and do it safely. Now I know that I am a much better driver then Paul, and he will be the first one to tell you that. He says I am more aware of the things around me, I am more cautious etc. You have to try it just once. If you don't like it then that is another story, but just try it in a vacant parking lot first....There are a lot of ladies that tow their trailers, they will chime in and tell you all about it. Happy Travels to Ya!
It is the stopping that scares the cajeebies out of me!! I am always on the edge of my seat thinking that camper is going to come smashing into the cab of the truck. I am a nervous nilly.
We have talked about the what if's - what if he was unable to drive, what if something happened to him. I think I would just go with something real small and pray a LOT!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
That trailer is going to go backwards before it comes through. Remember how it is hooked up to the hitch. We have driven off before and dropped the trailer into the bedsaver, that was scarey, but I have never been worried about the trailer not stopping.