Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Anne Huber

M.O.C. #6991
Don't like kitchen slide in Montana 3295RK

My husband I purchased a 2006 Montana 3295RK and have had consistent problems with the kitchen slide leaving a good-sized black square mark on the carpet whenever the slide is moved out and in. We took it in for repair of the slide on the warranty and learned that most of these units have the same problem and we should purchase some "sliders" to put on the floor whenever moving the slide to relieve the problem.

We weren't told about this problem when we bought the unit last year and it would seem Keystone should supply the "slider set" without cost to us. Our previous 5th Wheel was a Colorado it had no such problem, although it only had two slides.

Has anyone else had this problem? Wouldn't this be a manufacturer's flaw?

Anne Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
No problem with our 3670, it has two large slides plus the bedroom slide.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would expect something named "Colorado" to be better than something named "Montana", but then I live in Colorado.

I would like to say it's defective, but I don't think it is. From what I understand, the slide mechanisms drive out and in, and at the extreme out or in position they square off in the frame. However, during travel in or out, there is really nothing that controls weight distribution of the slide. They tip in our out based on the balance. Of our 4 slides, the kitchen side tips in because of the fridge and appliances, but the others tip out because of the furniture. Of those that tip in, they leave marks. I'm not sure there is actually a fix other than using the strips.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know where you learned that "most of these units have the same problem" a few have but most don't. Sounds like maybe your dealer is trying to sell you sliders and is avoiding correcting the problem. If your dealer has been unable to correct that issue perhaps a call to Keystone, Customer service, Team Montana is in order. We have the 3400, 4 slides and have never had a black mark on the kitchen floor.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have never had a black mark on the floor when sliding the slide outs in or out. I would think that there is somekind of problem.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We have a 2002 3295RK and never had that problem with any of the slides (knock-on-wood).
If it's the dealer saying that most of the 3295s are having that problem, I'd ask them to contact Keystone about it.

Better yet, I'd contact Keystone myself and let them know what the dealer is telling you.

Keystone is usually very responsive when a problem does reach their ears. Someone posted a week ago or so a phone number direct to the "Montana Team" and if you can find it here at the MOC that would be the phone number to call.

Good luck to you.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hi Anna - We have the same problem in out 2005 3650RK. It is happening to the dinette slide and the black grease mark is about in the middle and also marks to one side, I just asked my dealer about it and he said to send him pictures and he would contact Keystone to find out if this has been an issue. We have purchased those sliders and that does not help. We purchased two sets of those sliders and as the slide comes in the sliders also come in. to make them work you have to stand on them so they will stay in one spot while the slide comes over them. Not good. let us know what happens with your and I will do the same. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Anne Huber

M.O.C. #6991
Thank you all for your input! Looks like our best approach is to contact Keystone directly. We love our Montana, but sure would like to resolve this one issue. I'm so glad we joined MOC and have all of you to give us input! Will let you know how we resolve this. Thanx again!
Anne Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:00 AM   #9
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
We had a similar problem on our '05 3500RL on the kitchen slide.
For some reason, Montana put a piece of "belly tape" across the bottom of the slide, running crosswise. I discovered that one time when the slide was retracted, the end of the tape 'caught' on the seal and peeled itself back as the slide came in. Our result was a sticky dark (black) stripe across the carpet. The sticky side of that tape is really sticky and hard to remove. The end result for us was Montana replaced all the carpet in our unit, (the original carpet was no longer available. After several conversations with Montana, the dealer ordered a roll of belly tape with instructions to replace the piece across the slide. I have not figured out why the tape was there to begin with, there is no seam or anything else to cover. I insisted that the dealer give my a bunch of the tape so I could replace it myself. The fix was to wrap the tape over the inside edge of the slide so there was no 'end' to catch and cause it to peel back. I was never completely successful in cleaning all the sticky stuff off the bottom of the slide and noticed some stickiness on the new carpet. I made a trip to Office Max and picked up a pad that office chairs roll on and cut a piece out to cover that area of the carpet when the slide comes in. The pad has the little plastic "spikes" on the bottom to hold it in place. I have to run the slide in until it just starts to move, put the protector under the edge of the slide, then have to stand on it until the slide moves about 6 or 8 inches, then it will stay in place.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am continually impressed by the "fixes" we come up with to correct manufacturing and design defects. Although thses "fixes" are valuable information they are scattered out among various topics .Might be a good idea to have a forum where all thse fixes can be identified and the corrective action listed.?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Anne, we lived in a 2003 3295RK for almost four years. You should not have the black mark. An adjustment to the slide should fix it.

We do use the sliders in our 3400 and they work very well once you learn how to use them. They have an L shaped end. YOu have to start the slide moving just a bit, then stop it so you can place the slider so that L fits over the ramp on the floor under the slide. We've been using them since October and they work well.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
We have an '03 3295RK and don't have such a problem with the Kitchen slideout or any of them. I think they need adjusted or replaced. When ours was new the kitchen slide was scratching the wooden floor and they fixed that.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have a 2004, 3295 and we have never had a problem with black marks on carpet.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote