Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
The Geo Method as it applies to Montana's

One of the threads on the MOC forums mentioned the Geo Method for cleaning holding tanks and I had to Google to understand. I read the explanation at:

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

All of this content makes sense to me and since the last thing I want to work on is a messed up holding tank, I think I'd adopt this method.

So for those of you who have also adopted the Geo Method, what specific things do you do. For example, the document says to use 2 cups of Calgon powdered softener dissolved in a gallon of hot water for each holding tanks. Is that the right quantity for the Monty tanks?

It also mentions for the black water tank to also use cup of laundry detergent. I'll need to translate that to the liquid HE detergent we have to use in our W/D.

What say you, smart people?

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We've been using one capfull of liquid Calgon for years. Since you are suggesting using more than we do, and ours works good, so should yours. I do suggest the liquid form of Calgon...get it at Wally World.

On edit, we have a W/D which keeps the grey tank clean (that's where the washer drains, not in the main line) so I don't put anything in the grey tank.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Liquid Calgon, a cap full, maybe two at the most. Follow with a few toilet fulls of water, by the way, one toilet full in our unit, is about 1/2 gallon of water. We try to keep that under 3 gallons added before hitting the road. I sometimes use some laundry detergent, HE, I use a cap filled the same as I would to do one load of laundry.

I also will use a bit of Calgon in the kitchen and gray tanks. It will help clean them. Don't need detergent of any kind in those, they have enough soap.

I prefer the liquid Calgon, small container, easy to store, I have not had the best of luck with powders, they seem to spill easier. I am not known to be very graceful.

Of course, the most important part of all this, is MORE water, LESS paper. Repeat again and again, MORE water, LESS paper.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I just went back to look at the Keystone RV Owner's Manual. Why I don't know. In the Waste Water section, they mention things to not put in the toilet or drains. It mentions both Detergent and bleach. Everyone else and the Geo Method says to use both of these.

I wonder why Keystone says this? What are they covering their butts about?
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #5
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I suspect the recommendation to NOT use detergent in the black tank is based on the normal use of "commercial" black tank treatments which is usually "bacterial" formula. By using detergent/bleach, it would kill the good bacteria and make use of the commercial treatment useless.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Have been using the GEO method for years. Liquid Calgon, liquid laundry detergent, and bleach, half cup of each. No odor, no build up, works fine.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
As others have stated, 1 cap liquid calgon (in all tanks), 1 cap liquid detergent (in black tanks), 2 oz. chemical (in all tanks), has worked well for us for years.
DougnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

I just went back to look at the Keystone RV Owner's Manual. Why I don't know. In the Waste Water section, they mention things to not put in the toilet or drains. It mentions both Detergent and bleach. Everyone else and the Geo Method says to use both of these.

I wonder why Keystone says this? What are they covering their butts about?
Chlorine bleach in combination with any other additive that contains ammonia will form a highly poisonous gas. Human urine contains about 9.3 grams/liter of urea. As urea breaks down, it releases ammonia. How much ammonia is formed, I don't know, so I'm not sure of any danger exists. ....but I do know that urine and bleach makes a fairly foul odor. How do I know this, you may ask? well, .........

My wife sometimes leaves a fair portion(1/8 of a cup or so) of chlorine bleach in our toilets at home, and if I take a leak and don't realize that the bleach is still in the bowl, it makes a quite a stink.

I would not put bleach in my black tank, just because it will surely smell bad.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
HI

We use 2 cups Calgon and ˝ bottle of Pine Sol with at least 2 toilet bowls of water.

Twice a year same mix except fill it up full with water and let set over night. This seems to keep the level indicators working correctly.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Had not heard of the 'GEO' method, but have used water softener and dishwasher soap (it's got lower suds and is stronger) at least once each outing for quite a while. Had to additionally use the two bags of ice trick when after we found out there was some solid stuff in the black tank after taking our new/old Monty out for a week.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Second trailer we have used it on. Works good but, I add a full cup for the 50 gals. Add it after each dump. Leave three to for gallons of hot water in tanks as I leave camp ground. Gets the tank coated well and picks up extra bits in tank. I found also adding a few gallons of hot water to the tank, prior to emptying, helps the tank drain. Twice when I had a sewer line problem ( leak ) they asked how I kept it so clean ? We also add purex-Chrystal to give tank a nice smell!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I add one whole bottle of the liquid calgon and one scoop of Happy Campers in our black tank. Used this method in last 2 Montana's and we have had no problems at all.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #13
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

I add one whole bottle of the liquid calgon and one scoop of Happy Campers in our black tank. Used this method in last 2 Montana's and we have had no problems at all.
How often do you do this routine?
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not use any of that stuff But do use a lot of water and flush frequently.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Been using the Geo Method for over 3 years, first with our Springdale TT and now with our Montie. Haven't used anything else in black water tank since. Works great, no odor problem and tank seems to stay clean. Always had odor problem in TT before using GEO Method, especially in summer months.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Rainer: I do this method each time after I dump my black tank.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Some of you say cap full and others say cupful. Which is it?
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
We use the original receipt 1 cup of Calgon powder, 1 gal hot water, mix pour in toilet add 1 cup of laundry detergent(cheap stuff)and 1 cup of bleach. We also do this each time we empty black water. Had to order Calgon powder online as I could not find it locally.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The liquid is concentrated, I use a capful. Maybe two. The caps are small, don't believe it would come close to a cup.

Start small and use more if you feel you must?? No disrespect, PackerFan, but, an entire bottle each dump feels excessive to me. But, if it is working, then, well, go for it!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #20
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Mrs. CountryGuy: In the beginning I used the powered calgon but it's harder to find than the liquid. I switched to the liquid but couldn't find anything that said how much to use so I used the entire bottle. If it works ok with less then I will changed my recipe, thanks for the info!